Disabled person Looking to work for a team

Brett Parton

Reaction
hi my name is Brett and I am 23 years old and live in san Bernardino CA. I have muscular dystrophy and confined to a wheelchair. im looking to work for a team paid or unpaid it dosent matter my goal in life was to be racing for a living but poop happens and i cant. But that doesn't mean i cant work for a race team. im just going to get straight to the point why im writing this is i literaly sit at home and dont do anything with my life but play videogames not that i choose to but its the only thing my body can do. I have to live with my parents wish i didn't have to i just got bad luck and i cant change it. i cant stay in this bubble anymore i need to live my life and my condition wont stop me. so if anyone would be willing to help me out please message me i would appreciate it.

BigBlue&Goldie

Reaction
If you can play video games you can learn CAD, mechanical engineering, engine tuning, etc. The only thing holding any of us back in life is our willingness to step out of our comfort zone. It sounds like you're at that point where you are wanting to grab life by the balls, so I have no doubt you can get into racing. I have a family member the has muscular dystrophy and he's the most successful out of all of us. He might not be able to drive a trophy truck, but he can afford to make a podium run as a team owner......something I wish I could do. If you haven't gone to school, go to your local community college and start expanding your skill set; there is nothing wrong with your mind.

Samco Fab

Reaction
There is an expert shock tuner on Strobel's team that has one of those off road wheelchairs, definitely inspiring to see, that truck is no slouch in the rough.

CAD is a good idea, while you are learning that, you could help do social media for a team. A lot of good videographers and photographers hardly have time to edit all the stuff they shoot. Improving writing skills would help with press releases, all things you could learn.

You could volunteer for a sanctioning body and work in the timing and scoring. Contact BFG pits, they might put you deep in Baja on a radio relay team.

Keep learning and networking, and good job putting yourself out there. I am sure you will land a spot somewhere!

MasTacos

Reaction
Hi Brett,

Welcome to the addiction. I would also recommend you reach out to some of the pit clubs. I've worked with both Mag7 and Baja pits and I can tell you that there are a TON of activities/needs in a pit that you can help with such as timing/tracking cars, running radios, taking pictures, organizing tool tables, etc.

If you've got a rig that'll allow you to get around on dirt, you could make it work

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
Might want to hit up Fish from Fishgistics to see if he will be needing any help doing the Baja 500 live tracking. He has a Facebook site

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Brett Parton

Reaction
If you can play video games you can learn CAD, mechanical engineering, engine tuning, etc. The only thing holding any of us back in life is our willingness to step out of our comfort zone. It sounds like you're at that point where you are wanting to grab life by the balls, so I have no doubt you can get into racing. I have a family member the has muscular dystrophy and he's the most successful out of all of us. He might not be able to drive a trophy truck, but he can afford to make a podium run as a team owner......something I wish I could do. If you haven't gone to school, go to your local community college and start expanding your skill set; there is nothing wrong with your mind.

Thats funny everyone tells me i should learn cad and i did for awhile then got frustrated with it then stoped. I guess ill start it back at it.

_

Reaction
Thats funny everyone tells me i should learn cad and i did for awhile then got frustrated with it then stoped. I guess ill start it back at it.

Yes, CAD is a great idea. I could use a temporary CAD assistant write now under an NDA agreement. I have drawings I need done, yet have no time to do myself. Many persons in this industry find themselves in need of a local CAD contractor from time to time. You just need to become proficient in 3D CAD, then get the word out through the classified section.

DanMcMillin

Crane Motorsports
Reaction
Aside from physically driving, you'd be surprised how much of the off-road industry is done behind a computer. Solidworks, data analysis on Motec, engine programming, accounting, social media, tracking, and the list goes on. The demand for qualified people whom are computer savvy in the off-road world are few and far between. Brett, I have a sister born with cerebral palsy and I know if she can make it work, you can too. Her passion is physical therapy and although she is physically handicapped, she's found a way to be passionate with it through....computers. I know first hand witnessing someone with the challenges of a physical disability. Stay focused and good things will happen to you like it has with her. She has made the best of it and is currently the only McMillin with a full time job not in the family business (she loves bringing that up btw).

deano

McDeano
Reaction
Might want to hit up Fish from Fishgistics to see if he will be needing any help doing the Baja 500 live tracking. He has a Facebook site

You better like drinking Micro-beers ... :rolleyes: Good luck Brett, the off-road community will reach their hands out to you, keep charging !!

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
You better like drinking Micro-beers ... :rolleyes: Good luck Brett, the off-road community will reach their hands out to you, keep charging !!
Sure sounds like something that might be right up his alley, and he might even make a buck or 2.

Plus Fishs networking is pretty damn good.

Mxrider99

Reaction
There is an expert shock tuner on Strobel's team that has one of those off road wheelchairs, definitely inspiring to see, that truck is no slouch in the rough.

CAD is a good idea, while you are learning that, you could help do social media for a team. A lot of good videographers and photographers hardly have time to edit all the stuff they shoot. Improving writing skills would help with press releases, all things you could learn.

You could volunteer for a sanctioning body and work in the timing and scoring. Contact BFG pits, they might put you deep in Baja on a radio relay team.

Keep learning and networking, and good job putting yourself out there. I am sure you will land a spot somewhere!

Jordan is one of the best in the industry for sure, He also still welds on cars (with that wheelchair) and does alot more than just shock tuning. With a little hard work and some dedication you can find your niche in this sport. Wether it be CAD, or something else. I too, am paralyzed from a dirt bike crash in late 2015 and Jordan was a huge part of helping me adapt to these changes.
Heres jordan still TIG welding from his chair=

And me as well,

Find your niche, or your passion. And treat it like a job to become good at your craft. Wake up every day at a certain time and devote 8 hours to learning and bettering your craft. Take this time living at home and use it to your advantage and be productive. It might take some time, But you can do it if you dedicate yourself to it. I wasn't born this way, But I have been able to adapt to it. Its hard, and nothings easy. But you can do it, that I can promise. Good luck man, and never give up.

DuaneH

Reaction
Some great advice on this thread...Head up eyes looking forward, nothing will stop you if you want it bad enough....

DG_BTI

Reaction
Jordan is one of the best in the industry for sure, He also still welds on cars (with that wheelchair) and does alot more than just shock tuning. With a little hard work and some dedication you can find your niche in this sport. Wether it be CAD, or something else. I too, am paralyzed from a dirt bike crash in late 2015 and Jordan was a huge part of helping me adapt to these changes.
Heres jordan still TIG welding from his chair=

And me as well,

Find your niche, or your passion. And treat it like a job to become good at your craft. Wake up every day at a certain time and devote 8 hours to learning and bettering your craft. Take this time living at home and use it to your advantage and be productive. It might take some time, But you can do it if you dedicate yourself to it. I wasn't born this way, But I have been able to adapt to it. Its hard, and nothings easy. But you can do it, that I can promise. Good luck man, and never give up.

mucho respect!

Brett Parton

Reaction
Thanks everybody for the advise its given me somthing to look foward to again its been awhile since I've actually had somthing to look foward to lol.

Samco Fab

Reaction
I definitely meant no disrespect to Jordan to limit him to shock tuning, I was pumped to see him as an integral part of a competitive team. What I saw of his work ethic and skills made me want to work harder.

On another note, there is a huge shortage of good bookkeepers. Dan mentioned accounting. Learning to be a good bookkeeper leads to being a good accountant.

It may not seem to be as glorious as crazy cool 3d modeling of state of the art Trophy Trucks, but there is probably no bigger positive impact to a small team or business than the organization that can be done in the office.

A Quickbooks class could be good, I am trying to learn it better myself.

green787

Reaction
I think Brett is looking for a job... sweeping the floor, sorting nutz and bolts, maybe welding.... "hands on" stuff... Hearing that he needs to become an accountant or computer wiz may not be as helpful as it seems....:rolleyes:

Brett Parton

Reaction
I think Brett is looking for a job... sweeping the floor, sorting nutz and bolts, maybe welding.... "hands on" stuff... Hearing that he needs to become an accountant or computer wiz may not be as helpful as it seems....:rolleyes:

U got a point not much of a desk person my origanal plan was to be a co driver or help on a prerun or be a radio guy i wanted to be in the truck racing dont get me wrong the desk jobs are important just not somthing i like. I was on utvunderground for 3 years trying to do this just recently they said try race-dezert so thats when i posted this. I just didnt say what i wanted to in the post because didnt know if this is even a viable option anymore.

green787

Reaction
U got a point not much of a desk person my origanal plan was to be a co driver or help on a prerun or be a radio guy i wanted to be in the truck racing dont get me wrong the desk jobs are important just not somthing i like. I was on utvunderground for 3 years trying to do this just recently they said try race-dezert so thats when i posted this. I just didnt say what i wanted to in the post because didnt know if this is even a viable option anymore.

Can you be lifted into a race truck and strapped in without modifications to the vehicle???

Mooch2Peril

Reaction
Can you be lifted into a race truck and strapped in without modifications to the vehicle???

This? Or based on your now clear interest I can ask if you’d be willing to be on a class 11 team in some or multiple capacities? I need the help as we’re a new team getting off the ground after racing on other teams. Jack of all, master of none, but all I have to offer you. If you’re ready and willing pm me and we can for sure figure some viable options out.