Disc Brake Conversion for 9"?

V8Ranger

Reaction
Disc Brake Conversion for 9\"?

I have a 9" with an F-150 lug pattern and I was wondering if anyone knows who makes a reasonably priced disc brake conversion kit for it. Also if you have a number for them I'd appreciate it. I allready tried wilwood and the guy I spoke with said they don't sell one for the F-150 lug pattern.

Thanks

sirhk100

Reaction
Re: Disc Brake Conversion for 9\"?

I don't know much about the 9" rear end but do know that it was ofered in some of the bigger cars ford made with disks. Would it be possible to find one in the J-Yard and yank the brakes off to put on yours? Just an Idea though, like I said I don'tknow much about those rearends.
Khris

BradM

Reaction
Re: Disc Brake Conversion for 9"?

If you find one, take the whole rearend. A Lincoln Versais was a common one with large axle bearings and disc brakes.

Build 'em light, wind 'em tight

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction

sirhk100 - that's what I plan to do when I do my V8 swap. At the same time, I intend to do the swap up front with D44 outers to change the bolt pattern.

V8Ranger - I guess you already have the 9", otherwise I'd suggest that you just go pull one of the disk-equipped ones from one of the larger cars and use that. I suppose you could sell the F150 axle and use the axle from a car, but for you it probably wouldn't be worth the hassle.

David - No one of consequence.

Greg

Reaction

what about just drilling a new pattern in your rotors to match your wheels. you can upgrade to bigger studs too.

Greg

sirhk100

Reaction

Greg,
What rear end is in your truck? I saw it at one of the recent IP events. It looked pretty crazy. What's the details on that thing?

vwguy

Reaction

greg has a dana 60 axle thats as far as i know

how ironic is it that most people slow down for speed bumps yet almost all of us here im sure pin it

jeff

Reaction

I know this might be overkill... but what about the WARN full-floater 9" kit? It's not "that" expensive, includes everything you need to convert the 9" to full-floating, not just semi-floating, and has all the provisions for disc brakes. Oh yeah, the axleshafts and hubs have a lifetime warranty. When I get a few more pennies I'll be re-doing a junkyard 9" with the WARN kit - or possibly a Currie 9+ housing with the Warn 35-spline kit.

I had a Currie built 9" on my S-10 a couple years ago. The 9" used disc brakes from an Exploder and even included a parking brake. I know that Currie sells a kit, check them out here http://www.currieenterprises.com/html/custom/rearendBrakesDisc.htm

Maloha

Flea

Reaction

yah you can always go back to ranger lug pattern and give me my rims! just kiddin.

MARKUP?

toddz

Reaction

If you already have the 9" housing you want, you can get a kit from TSM in Willow Creek, CO for about $250 that gives you everything but the calipers. The choices there are 79-85 Cadillac Eldorado if you want e-brakes or the later model front calipers from GM cars/S-10s, etc. if you don't need e-brakes. I've never had much luck with the GM stuff.

I prefer the pieces off 75-79 Lincoln Mark V's. They're similar to the Versailles stuff, a bit larger, and much more plentiful and less $$(I'm very cheap). These cars are plentiful in the yards around here(Phoenix). It does take some machining work, but nothing extraordinary. I used this setup for many years when I had semi-floating axles and I put them on again after I changed to a Warn full-floater kit in my 9". Sandy Cone does all the machining for $50 to fit the Lincoln stuff on the floater kit.

If you get the floater kit, get the drive flanges and not the locking hubs.

Todd Z.

ntsqd

Reaction

Good morning Todd. After Primm I joined up here.
There have been some past postings on some of the EB lists about a home brew rear floater using D44 bits. AIRC the issue with our rear brake kits is the axle flange diameter more than the stud bolt circle.
A friend with a flat fender found that he could run the full size GM calipers (D52) in the front and the metric GM's (D154) on the rear w/o need for any proportioning valve. I would suspect that the D52 calipers can be run on the rear of a bigger vehicle w/ little or possibly no need for a prop valve as long as a parking brake isn't required.

Remember, Amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic.