• Forum membership has its advantages....

Disguised 2015 F-150 ran the Baja 1000?

spalind

Buried today in Ford's press release on the introduction of the substantially aluminum F-150 (that has shaved 700 pounds off the '14 version) is noted that they ran it (and finished) the B1K in a disguised version??

No one here on RDC picked up on that? I'm shocked!! Who was it and how did they finish?

Chris Tobin

I skimmed the release and thought they were implying that the engine has already ran and finished the 1000... I took it to mean the V6 turbo EcoTec or whatever they call it that they ran a few years ago...

I could totally be wrong though as I just skimmed the release...

PAB

40's rock!
They had a secret truck out there for sure.... it finished every mile.......

ndvalium

Rescue Director
And I believe its maiden voyage was in the 2013 Parker Blue Water Challenge in Sportsman Category with Foutz driving if I remember correctly....

Mark Newhan

It's true. The Ford effort did debut at Parker. It was built by Foutz in a world record short time. It was driven in class 2 at the Baja 1000 with little fanfare. The driver lineup was Steve Olliges, Bud Brutsman, Tim Casey and McRae Glass.

The truck ran every mile of the course on the same BFG tires. The truck was built using all stock parts found on your F150 with the exception of some aftermarket Fox shocks, the same that ones you can buy for your F150 or Raptor.

Steve said that the truck was extremely nimble with the use of the aluminum body. He said that it was pretty damn tough for a stock truck, and that comes from a TT driver. The truck never had a mechanical issue, which amazed me since I Preran from Colonet, over mikes and up to the meadow, which was my section for a different team.

I'll try and find a picture and post it up. It was a blue Crew cab with the SVT beadlocks with the real Ford Racing beadlock conversion that was designed for the Raptor.

notime

NTR Films media guy
here you go

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Tobin

It's true. The Ford effort did debut at Parker. It was built by Foutz in a world record short time. It was driven in class 2 at the Baja 1000 with little fanfare. The driver lineup was Steve Olliges, Bud Brutsman, Tim Casey and McRae Glass.

The truck ran every mile of the course on the same BFG tires. The truck was built using all stock parts found on your F150 with the exception of some aftermarket Fox shocks, the same that ones you can buy for your F150 or Raptor.

Steve said that the truck was extremely nimble with the use of the aluminum body. He said that it was pretty damn tough for a stock truck, and that comes from a TT driver. The truck never had a mechanical issue, which amazed me since I Preran from Colonet, over mikes and up to the meadow, which was my section for a different team.

I'll try and find a picture and post it up. It was a blue Crew cab with the SVT beadlocks with the real Ford Racing beadlock conversion that was designed for the Raptor.
here you go

Cool vid, thanks...

Question though, if it was a disguised 2015 truck, how was the steel cage tied in to the aluminum frame/body? Did the cage structure simply bolt to the frame? Will 2015 Ford trucks pass tech with their aluminum frame and a bolted in cage?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark Newhan

Cool vid, thanks...

Question though, if it was a disguised 2015 truck, how was the steel cage tied in to the aluminum frame/body? Did the cage structure simply bolt to the frame? Will 2015 Ford trucks pass tech with their aluminum frame and a bolted in cage?
Frames are not aluminum. The cab was tied in to the cage with bolt plates.

Chris Tobin

Ok, the report I read said the frame and body panels were aluminum... It's wild that they dropped 700 pounds out of the truck with just aluminum body work...

I was trying to figure out how you could have the cage mount to an aluminum frame... Thanks for the correction. I checked the Ford website and that confirmed that the frame is still steel!

tcm glx

There was a picture floating around on Facebook. It states it ran the new 2.7L exo boost, and when they finished the 1000, they slapped a window on it and drove it back to Michigan.

I'll look for the picture again....

Chris Tobin

I wish other manufacturers would get involved like this again!!! I'm not a Ford guy, but that is just plain cool! Good for them!!!

spalind

Correct--though there was a change in the frame material. They have now gone to a "high strength steel"? that they had not been using prevoiusly (and likely other manufacturers haven't been using either). So I assume this new high strength steel has 1) dropped in cost due to economies of scale and improved manufacturing to make it financially viable to use in a mass market vehicle like the F150 and 2) because it is of a higher strength they can use thinner=lighter material, thus contributing to the 700 pound weight loss.

partybarge_pilot

We were pitted next to them at Porker. It was eerily quiet. It was also glacially slow. They must have picked up the pace some so as not to time out at the 1K,

Mark Newhan

We were pitted next to them at Porker. It was eerily quiet. It was also glacially slow. They must have picked up the pace some so as not to time out at the 1K,
They had some engine management issues to deal with at Parker, if I recall correctly. I was at the pit, did you see the hole in the fender where a jeep speed ran into them? I thought that it would have been a dead giveaway on the aluminum panels.

7s ranger

I remember it from Parker. It was slow. Not even the check point poeple knew what was going on with it. It had two BITD offical magnets on the tail gate and some of the check points called in asking about it. Casey told them it should be out there and left it at that. Awsome that Ford does this stuff! By the way , do they still put prize money up in 8100? More then the $1,000 for 7100 that it dropped to a few years ago. Trying to figure a new kind of affordable ( for desert racing anyway) class to move into. 7100 is gone.

trent06

Mush
I remember it from Parker. It was slow. Not even the check point poeple knew what was going on with it. It had two BITD offical magnets on the tail gate and some of the check points called in asking about it. Casey told them it should be out there and left it at that. Awsome that Ford does this stuff! By the way , do they still put prize money up in 8100? More then the $1,000 for 7100 that it dropped to a few years ago. Trying to figure a new kind of affordable ( for desert racing anyway) class to move into. 7100 is gone.
Yes BITD and Ford do have good payback in 8100. Breakdown is $5000, $2000, $1000 for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, but if you run the Eco-Boost it can go up a little more even. I know of an awesome 8100 for sale right now prepped and ready for Parker..Red, White, and Blue 79' F100. PM me for more details, the truck knows its way around Parker pretty well...

-Trent