DIY pre runner

Adam Simonian

Reaction
Hello, I've been became really interested in pre runners in the past couple years and have wanted to build my own. I'm 17 years old and is really looking to become a fabricator one day. I have decided to make my first build a 07 Chevy Silverado single cab 2wd. I am super excited to start this build! One thing I really need to learn is how to fabricate the front suspension and back caging. I'm willing to have this be a trial and error but I came here to see if anybody has any tips on the this stuff for me? Maybe even some build plans? Just help in general would be nice. Thanks guys. Glad to be apart of Race De-zert!!!!!

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Bro_Gill

Reaction
If your Chevy is to be your daily driver, I would find another base for your project. As a first off road vehicle that is (probably) your only mode of transportation (yes, I was once young as well) you don't want to take on a do it yourself project with a fullsize truck. Here's why-
1. They're big and heavy. That means so are parts...and costs to build them. Just the facts. Plus, if you are out having a good time with it and you break it, it's that much tougher to get home WITH help, let alone without it.
2. The vase you are using is not the easiest to work with, Even the aftermarket for this truck is very limited, so if you wanted to buy some parts, they will be hard to find or very expensive.
3. Did I mention BIG?! It's just really hard to start with a big truck. The tools required also drive up costs. Once you start doing front spindles, ball joints, etc... You will see how quickly the tools needed to service these parts eat up the budget you thought you had for the cool parts you want.

FWIW- Start with something easier and cheaper. Try an early Ranger. Parts are plentiful, even the off road stuff and on the used market, real cheap. And a 4 cylinder single cab Ranger can easily be towed by your Chevy to and from the fun spots. I would suggest a VW based project, but at 17, you might not even know what that is!

Adam Simonian

Reaction
Thanks for the reply bro gill. The Chevy truck I have isn't my daily driver but I totally get what your saying. Smaller = easier to work on + cheaper parts.

51rcr

Reaction
look at all the show and tell threads. look at all the pictures you can of things. lots of offroad and hot rod types of magazines have diy and how to articles. Don't need new ones.They have had these articles for the whole history and you know how to use the computer. Allways different was to do things. Hope ya have some friends family and some neighbors that can give ya tips. Ya need a older retired bored neighbor to get excited to teach ya some stuff.
Start simple. I wouldn't just jump into building a new front suspension. Lost of articles about suspension out there. some on bending also

Last edited:

baja619

Reaction
There is a deal for a Tacoma Prerunner Project for $3000. Seems Like a great DIY Starter

Offroad Dezert Deals Classifieds
https://www.facebook.com/groups/356382271074218/

Ken Derek
January 11 at 5:11pm

long travel toyota tacoma
$3,000
Lakeside, CA (92040)

All heim steering
Long travel kit
14" king coilovers
New 4.88 g2 gears done by 4 wheel parts with warranty.
Hit me up best cash offer looking to get around 4K
Insides taken apart prepping for cage and seats
Cash only

mean_green

Reaction
I would also recommend as a first vehicle to buy a mild built truck and learn as you modify. It is a lot of work to build from the ground up. Plus the 07 Chevy would be a great start but your build will go much further if you sell it and buy a cheaper built vehicle and you'll have more cash to build. The cost of building a Silverado will be higher than building say a ranger or Toyota. Don't get me wrong, I race a Silverado but the added weight and power leads to much more $$$ in hubs, drive train, ect.

Key is not to go to big to quick. Usually leads to an unfinished project that costed lots of money and never gets enjoyed.

mean_green

Reaction
I think your on the right path at 17 and looking on the forums. What I did at your age was sign up for welding classes at your high school or Fresno city college and get the basics down first.

TYLER WOOF

Reaction
X2 what they said. Start with an older ranger or Tacoma. You can buy kits for them and get your feet wet learning to fabricate. I don't suggest learning to fab on the front suspension of your 2007 Chevy.

Also go through the entire shop section and open and read through every thread. You'd be surprised what you can learn from everyone else's projects even if it doesn't apply specifically to you.