Do Co-drivers pay ½ the cost???

Been a long time reader of RDC but never felt the need to give my two cents. But now I have a question I thought I’d put out to the RDC experts and see what the response is.

A friend of mine asked me this question: “Is it common practice for the co-driver to split all cost down the middle in order to be a co-driver?” A friend of mine was asked to co-drive in the V2R race. But he would have to split all costs. He was told he would have to help prep the race car & chase truck, drive the chase truck pulling the race car to Henderson then Beatty, split the cost of fuel for the chase truck up and back (2500 miles), split the cost of renting a RV or Motel room, pay for his own food, split the cost of fuel for the race car, split the cost of any tires or parts that were damaged on the race car. Help prep the car for the next day. And all normal duties of a co-driver during the race (Change tires, fix or repair any problems on the race car.)

I sure wouldn’t do it! I told my friend he was crazy if he agreed to that! I’ve never asked any of my co-drivers to do this. It’s always been my belief that a guy helping me with all the preparation before and during the race plus changing tires or fixing the car during the race earned a seat with me.

I can see why this guy doesn’t have a co-drive a couple weeks before the race!

I know there are guys out there that sell the co-driver seat, but they often have three seats in a car or truck and still have a co-driver they can count on. I highly doubt that a guy that pays $2K or whatever it may be to buy a seat would be very eager to jump out in the middle of the desert at 110 degrees and change a tire. That’s if the guy is mechanically inclined enough that he can change a tire or fix something that breaks?

Me….my co-drivers are my friends that work on my car with me, help me prep the car and chase truck and get everything to the race. I wouldn’t ask them for a dime! There time and effort spent is payment enough for me!

Am I that far out of touch? Is asking someone to split your operating cost now the norm? :eek:

57Racer

Unless the driver plans on giving half his payout winnings (if any) to the co-dawg too then maybe... But even then that really is asking quite a bit since winnings usually wont match the cost of racing. I would want to drive half the drive time then too for that kind of commitment...

Typically I just ask for 'some' help with gas getting there and back and for him/her to take care of their food, their entry, and please watch those gauges and traffic while I try to not kill us.

If I win, I keep the earnings and hopefully try to encourage that person to co-dawg again because I am sure he was a huge part of it, maybe even pay their entry if I am feeling especially generous.

Vegas Jeff

Are we talkin co-driver or co-rider-passenger? I think alot of co-drivers split costs of race etc,sitting in the other seat co-rider-passenger i thought was a free ride for whoever was qualified or crazy enough.

milestonemotorsports

My co-dog devotes so many hours helping prep the truck, his contribution is a lot more than half the cost of racing it

01_el_tiburon

Bait Fish
in my car, co dogs pay entry fee and gas most of the time, if no codog is available to pay those costs, then we have a team member in the car. No point in asking for a paying codog if he/they wont cover the cost. This is racing CODE, but racing in SCORE is a lot more money, so a paying codog should cover at least the entry fee...
el tiburon

ThisSideUp

I race SCORE (at least the baja races) and my co-dogs are freinds that help prep the car and in some cases pitch in for fuel etc. It has always been a team effort and everyone helps out where they can. Living in Texas and trying to race baja makes things even more expensive so the more help the better but it has never been a situation where you pay a specific price for a seat. That would take all the fun out of racing with your friends!

Are we talkin co-driver or co-rider-passenger? I think alot of co-drivers split costs of race etc,sitting in the other seat co-rider-passenger i thought was a free ride for whoever was qualified or crazy enough.
CO-Dog....No driving.

My co-dog devotes so many hours helping prep the truck, his contribution is a lot more than half the cost of racing it
I agree 100%. The hours my Co-dog spends helping prep for a race + the time he takes off work is more than enough payment for me. I even may let them drive sometimes and I take the co-dog seat. But still don't require payment.

That is the beutty of a 2 seat car, entry fee forsure!!!
Are you saying the co-dog must pay your entry fee? Is that a team member or if your selling the seat?

Last edited:

steve0we

my First RACE was earlier this year. I covered ENTRY FEE and FUEL. I didnt provide any prep time etc. I got to town, got the 411 on the car and went to the races. I did get to drive half of the laps and had a blast! The car had a great race prep and was a first class ride. I thought that was very fair for what I got. I didnt pay for the shocks we blew, or the other stuff we modified at the race either.

When my car is finished, they guy that has put the time on since we started it will always co-dog for free. He has paid his dues, and we use his truck to pull the trailer too. If someone else want to ride the laps im thinking a fewe $ would be a great deal if they arent doing anything else on the car. Driving may cost a little more!

my First RACE was earlier this year. I covered ENTRY FEE and FUEL. I didnt provide any prep time etc. I got to town, got the 411 on the car and went to the races. I did get to drive half of the laps and had a blast! The car had a great race prep and was a first class ride. I thought that was very fair for what I got. I didnt pay for the shocks we blew, or the other stuff we modified at the race either.

When my car is finished, they guy that has put the time on since we started it will always co-dog for free. He has paid his dues, and we use his truck to pull the trailer too. If someone else want to ride the laps im thinking a fewe $ would be a great deal if they arent doing anything else on the car. Driving may cost a little more!

Agreed, my co-dog is a good friend and I rely on him for alot before a race just becasue my job requires so much of my time. My co-dog takes care of whatever I ask of him and that is worth it's weight in gold to me.

I don't think I would ever sell my co-dog seat. I want a guy I know I can trust out there when things go bad.

AZ1000

2009 DRIVE CHAMP
We've done it a couple of ways, but currently my #1 Co-Rider, helps me prep, our #2 Driver helps prep when he can, he lives in So-Cal, but he is also a parts chaser for us as well, and our other Co-Riders help out as well and one (RUKUS), hits just about every race to help pit, even if he isn't in the car, which we really appreciate.
As far as finances go, my #1 Co-Rider pays 100% for the racing, fuel, most of the food, beverages etc. gets the moho ready etc...Love you Honey!!:cool:

I've been a co-dog on a few cars. I have never been asked to pay an entry fee or pick-up gas cost when I was a co-dog. But that is because I help with all the preperations prior to a race and at the race. In the last V2R race I was attened, I helped a friend prepped the chase truck, helped prep the race car, drove the chase truck to the race towing the race car, attended the drivers meeting so he didn't have to, and worked my butt off during the race. I paided for my BITD membership fee and the car owner picked-up the tab for everything else. During the race he said he was pretty worn out and asked me at the next pit if I wouldn't mind driving for a while so he could take a break. Of course I said yes. Well a week after the race this so called friend mentions to me that I owe him a few thousand dollars for the time I spent behind the wheel. I was floored! I thought I was doing him a favor, I never asked him to drive. He asked me.

Well to make a long story short.....I paid him a few hundred bucks and we are no longer friends. Lesson learned....next time I'm ASKED to drive I will ask how much before I get behind the wheel.

we've done it a couple of ways, but currently my #1 co-rider, helps me prep, our #2 driver helps prep when he can, he lives in so-cal, but he is also a parts chaser for us as well, and our other co-riders help out as well and one (rukus), hits just about every race to help pit, even if he isn't in the car, which we really appreciate.
As far as finances go, my #1 co-rider pays 100% for the racing, fuel, most of the food, beverages etc. Gets the moho ready etc...love you honey!!:cool:
lol....the wife??????

steve0we

Well to make a long story short.....I paid him a few hundred bucks and we are no longer friends. Lesson learned....next time I'm ASKED to drive I will ask how much before I get behind the wheel.

Thats jacked..... Sorry to hear about the luck.

It seems that depending on the car owners $$$$$ sometimes its all covered and sometimes its going to cost something in time and/or money. Its nice to see owners covering as much as they can and team players doing the same thing. Seems like it works out alot of ways.

randy s

no. i pay for everything. co-dogs and second drivers help with prep. that's ok with me. i race with really nice people and i don't mind.

mrmatt

I've been a co-dog on a few cars. I have never been asked to pay an entry fee or pick-up gas cost when I was a co-dog. But that is because I help with all the preperations prior to a race and at the race. In the last V2R race I was attened, I helped a friend prepped the chase truck, helped prep the race car, drove the chase truck to the race towing the race car, attended the drivers meeting so he didn't have to, and worked my butt off during the race. I paided for my BITD membership fee and the car owner picked-up the tab for everything else. During the race he said he was pretty worn out and asked me at the next pit if I wouldn't mind driving for a while so he could take a break. Of course I said yes. Well a week after the race this so called friend mentions to me that I owe him a few thousand dollars for the time I spent behind the wheel. I was floored! I thought I was doing him a favor, I never asked him to drive. He asked me.

That sucks:mad:

My father and I own and drive our car car. We split the costs. We do all the prep. Up until recently we just split time in the co-driver/driver seat. WE stopped doing that because it took alot out of my father and I so My brother co-drives most of the time but he is in the Navy and cannot always make it to the races. When he can't make it we have a couple of people who co-drive for us. Since I am asking them to help us I would never ask them for a penny. They have thrown in a few bucks for entry which is nice but IMO is not neccesary. If they were asking to be in the car I would probably request that they pitch in SOME for entry or fuel but not half.

I don't think asking a co-dawg to pay SOME for entry or fuel is out of line but to ask for someones help because you need a co-dawg and ask them for half of ALL expenses is pretty out of hand:eek:

We try hard to make sure our crew is taken care of as best we can afford. If it wasn;t for the great people who help us out we could not do this

Laurie

We've always let the co-dog "earn" his/her spot by helping with the prep and chasing. Dan won't let anyone drive but him or his sons so that's not a question for us but most team if you're driving you help with the expenses. I try to provide all the food and snacks for the crew since they are helping us.

57Racer

............Well a week after the race this so called friend mentions to me that I owe him a few thousand dollars for the time I spent behind the wheel. I was floored! I thought I was doing him a favor, I never asked him to drive. He asked me.

Wow, wonder how fast he rips through co-drivers before word catches around that either they just stay away entirely or they say "nah, you keep driving, helping you is too expensive."

movindirt

Wham Spore
Half of the expenses for a co-dog spot?? NO F-IN WAY! Half the expenses means split the driving period, at least in my book. Some $$ for a show up and just ride is cool but even that is not going to be half the total cost. But if one can find a sucker to do it then......

DesertDemon, that sucks. With friends like that who needs enemies!