Do rear engine buggies really handle better than front engine cars?

Dave In Florida

Reaction
I ride mostly flat, sandy trails. Some slow speed with lots of twisty turns, others are long and kinda straight. I've long considered building a front engine, rear drive "truggy" but I've seen it said a few times that rear engine cars ride better than front engine cars. Any input on this?

The chassis I have in my head has an aluminum LS engine that would sit just behind the front tires, so it would be pretty well balanced front to rear. I'd imagine it would handle well in the rough.

Bert is my name

Reaction
Not so sure about one "handling" better than the other. Both have their own characteristics that may or not be beneficial in a given situation. Weight distribution and center of gravity are the areas you want to focus on as well as traction. You get a front end too light and the car won't turn. Get the rear too heavy and it wants to kick out. A balanced car will handle better pretty much no matter what. Get a nose heavy vehicle airborne at speed and you will immediately see what I am talking about. Most desert racers shoot for balanced to slightly tail heavy to keep the car more predictable when airborne/ pounding through the whoops.