Do uni-balls wear out?

Dave In Florida

Reaction
I'm in the design phase of a pre-runner style buggy. I'm considering using uni-balls in the front end, but I'm curious if the cups (the part that's welded to the arm) wear out over time? I don't see a seal present, or anyway to keep dirt out and grease in, so I'm curious.

Car will mostly be run in Florida which means it will (unfortunately) mud occasionally, and pressure washing the car to clean it. I'd really rather not have to rebuild arms occasionally because the cups have worn out.

Thanks all.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
All moving parts wear and need to be refreshed/replaced eventually.

The cheap ones will go to crap much sooner than the premium ones.

I only sell sell the FK brand because they are the best. They cost slightly more but are many many times better than the economy ones. You absolutely get what you pay for when it comes to bearings. Don't cheap out here.

Chris Tobin

Reaction
Don't most builders weld a sleeve into the arm that the cup is pressed into rather than welding the cup into the arm?

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
Don't most builders weld a sleeve into the arm that the cup is pressed into rather than welding the cup into the arm?
Yes. The uniball (aka com bearing) is a part that should be pressed into what you are using it for. Not welded in.
It gets pressed into a sleeve with a shoulder and then is retained in place with a c clip usually.

Chris Tobin

Reaction
Yes. The uniball (aka com bearing) is a part that should be pressed into what you are using it for. Not welded in.
It gets pressed into a sleeve with a shoulder and then is retained in place with a c clip usually.
That's what I thought... So to the OP yes you will have to rebuild and replace the UniBall from time to time, but you will not have to replace or rebuild the control arm as long as you do not damage it... But do not weld the UniBall outer into the arm or you will be asking for trouble. It will likely also distort the race and the ball would probably bind...

isdtbower

Reaction
Use this link to Kartek for their wobble stopper. Look below for the brass bung to prevent the outer from shrinking during welding. I am sure there are others. Google "truck trailing arm bearings" and check the pictures. All is good information above. Good luck and pay attention to size and width. Heim width can add lots of strength without the bulk. A 1" WSSX omniball ($60) has the same rating as a 1.5" premium heim ($250) for example.. Some "kits" ($110) come with seals. I saw a couple earlier today while designing something myself, but can't find them now.

Kartek Wobble Stopper Kit For 1 Inch Uniball To Build Truck Trailing Arms - Kartek Off-Road