Do you approve of the Baja 500 penalties?

Do you approve or disapprove of the Baja 500 penalties.

• Approve

Votes: 291 73.9%
  • Disapprove

Votes: 103 26.1%

• Total voters

Elk Hunter

Reaction
Approve or Disapprove?

Elk Hunter

Reaction
Its about time, It was way out of control. Are the penalties fair? maybe not but something needed to be done.

www.finesdoubleracing.com

randy s

Reaction
it depends on what everybody else says. i'm kidding... buuuuut. i think more of a warning might have served a better purpose and i think the penalties were perhaps a bit harsh. and there's no doubt in my mind that the course needs to be better marked in some key areas at least with more "W" signs. but something needed to be done. i'm just not sure if i'd have done it the way sal did.

manualshifter

Reaction
AW: Do you approve of the Baja 500 penalties?

It seems, that the anger is so big because the penalties came unexpected. But the rules have been existing all the time?
So at the next race everybody knows, that the rules are not just paperwork anymore and I´m sure, the teams will think of the penalties before breaking the rules.
And it´s good, that the penalties are kind of crazy. It should always be better and faster to follow the rules than to brake them. Always.

DanMcMillin

Crane Motorsports
Reaction
Sal did what was politically correct and its only going to help our ability to keep racing in Baja. I'd agree that the penalties were a bit harsh, but a line had to be drawn sometime. But, how the F do you get a 900+ minute penalty? Yes, I am looking your way 19x. The only thing that would make me against the penalties was deeming legal alternative lines from past Baja 500s or 1000s (or even from word of mouth this race), illegal because it was THIS Baja 500 that the "silt would hit the fan". Tough call, but I give the upper hand to SCORE.

Ranch Hand

Reaction
From what I understand, which is ALWAYS in doubt:

Speeders received a 10 point penalty for EVERY 0.1 miles they traveled over the limit.

Thus a 900 point penalty would indicate 9 miles of speeding.

Course deviation is another can of worms, I don't know how you'd be fair and equal judging this infraction.

desertspeed

Reaction
The OP needs to modify this poll. There are too many different types of penalties that were handed out for anyone to simply agree or disagree.

I AGREE with the speeding on the highway penalties- they were clear cut, and CLEARLY stated PRIOR to the race.

I agree with SOME of the course cutting penalties- any course deviation that resulted in a significantly shorter race course should be penalized, but either or lines should be allowed- THIS IS BAJA!!!!!!

I completely disagree with the severity of Robby's penalty- that should NOT have cost him the win.

Bajajt12

Reaction
Come on you guys!

Enforce the rules,but let the racers know what the pentlys will be before the race,show what the fine or time additons will be in the rule book.

To do other wise is setting off-road as second rate

For those who like to race Baja this kind rule makeing makes it very hard to do.

M_Solms

Reaction
Come on you guys!

Enforce the rules,but let the racers know what the pentlys will be before the race,show what the fine or time additons will be in the rule book.

To do other wise is setting off-road as second rate

For those who like to race Baja this kind rule makeing makes it very hard to do.
This link takes you to the SCORE web site and on the right you can click on the "Hwy Speed Zone info" with penalties and the "Race Briefing info" which looks like it covers pitting also.

http://www.score-international.com/races/1064/Tecate_SCORE_Baja_500/2009.aspx

WickedGravityVideo

Reaction
I hear that SCORE warned everyone at the drivers meeting, so.... drivers were given fair warning. As far as the RG highway pit goes, that penalty was about 85 minutes too much! I am certain that the good people of Baja, Mexico have not problem putting their lives on hold while RG pits his truck.... he is a god of Baja, a legend. Seriously!

What I can't understand is how Sal and SCORE held an awards ceremony at the San Nicolas Hotel on Sun. AM and he acted like all was just fine... haha.... he should have gotten up there and said.... "most of you are in deep sheet, a few of you are not. Awards will be given out in one week in Vegas... the bar is now open!"

MALABANAN

Reaction
Sal did what would benefit his image and pocket books. Just like 2 years ago, turbo diesels are allowed in TT. Oh, wasn't VW a major sponsor, with they're vehicle being a turbo diesel, pretty interesting!!! Now, when viewing IRC site during race, General Tire had they're own box of sponsored cars up top above TT. Then WALLA! General Tire sponsored Rick Johnson is the winner of the Baja 500 raffle, I mean race!!! SORRY! ROBBY IS THE PEOPLE'S CHAMP!!! DISAPPROVE!!!

revroy

Reaction
Sal did what would benefit his image and pocket books. Just like 2 years ago, turbo diesels are allowed in TT. Oh, wasn't VW a major sponsor, with they're vehicle being a turbo diesel, pretty interesting!!! Now, when viewing IRC site during race, General Tire had they're own box of sponsored cars up top above TT. Then WALLA! General Tire sponsored Rick Johnson is the winner of the Baja 500 raffle, I mean race!!! SORRY! ROBBY IS THE PEOPLE'S CHAMP!!! DISAPPROVE!!!
Are you saying that Sal is showing favoratism now toward General Tire and/or their drivers?

Bassman

Reaction
Yes - Justice is served for all the years of honest racers getting screwed by the cheaters. It's about time!

OffroadExit

Pistol Pete's Personal Pot Stirrer
Reaction
Are you saying that Sal is showing favoratism now toward General Tire and/or their drivers?

Why would Sal show favoritism towards General Tire when BF Goodrich is an official sponsor of his series? Rick Johnson's new finishing position has nothing to do with favoritism.

MALABANAN

Reaction
It sure seems that way? Really, how much money is he getting for that gig? And, who cares? When you have a boss, you always have the chance of getting fired! If the boss screws up major, who is gonna call him out? Nobody below him. If the racers comments are taken in a wrong manner, by Sal reading these post, who's to say they're not next in a witchhunt? Plead the 5th, be a Yes man...It will blow over, the 1000 is right around the corner, all the while his pockets are FATTTTTTTT!

ML Racer

Reaction
It sure seems that way? Really, how much money is he getting for that gig? And, who cares? When you have a boss, you always have the chance of getting fired! If the boss screws up major, who is gonna call him out? Nobody below him. If the racers comments are taken in a wrong manner, by Sal reading these post, who's to say they're not next in a witchhunt? Plead the 5th, be a Yes man...It will blow over, the 1000 is right around the corner, all the while his pockets are FATTTTTTTT!
Anybody else tried of hearing this crap? Lock these f-ing threads and lets look forward to Primm!!

Weatherman

The voice of desert racing
Reaction
Malabanan --- Your post is asinine. Sal's pockets would be a lot fatter if he didn't authorize two helicopters for safety. I understand at a cost of around $800.00 per hour or more considering that there were trained medical personnel aboard, including a doctor. Just ask the family and friends of 113X how SCORE's response, in the middle of nowhere, probably saved his life. SCORE's safety concerns are foremost and above "fat pockets".
I love to watch Robby race and hope he finally builds a river home on his lot, three houses away from me, however, he was the only racer to pit ON THE HIGHWAY!!!!!! This is by SCORE's rule book, a D.Q. Robby got a time penelty which kept him the leader of the points race and this was allowable because SCORE has the ultimate right of what ever they seem fit to do. What they did seems very fair to me. His highway penelty was spelled out before the race. It was about time that SCORE put teeth into their rules. If there are ambiguities in the rules, we know what the intent was and should stay within the rules as they were intended.
Also on other threads, there are posters quoting the enforcement of the 50' pitting rule that is consistantly being broken by others. It is a safety rule and would have to be included in the rule book as a disclaimer as far as a possible lawsuit. Any less than 50" could be considered unsafe and possibly the promoter would be held liable.
The WEATHERMAN RELAY and the RDC stream, I think was a huge success thanks to Klaus, Bob Otwell, PCI Rhinnan and Bob Thompson, (whose gear we used, he was sick and couldn't make the trip, however, helped on the internet), and my fiancee Sharlene, who womened the computers.
SCORE's response to the cheating that has been overlooked, (no video, no timely protests, withdrawn protests, no real evidence, no CRB, hearsay, whatever, they are making a positive statement. Rules are rules and they are going to be enforced. Keep up with the videos, pictures, eye witness accounts and keep the sport honest and above board.

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
Also on other threads, there are posters quoting the enforcement of the 50' pitting rule that is consistantly being broken by others. It is a safety rule and would have to be included in the rule book as a disclaimer as far as a possible lawsuit. Any less than 50" could be considered unsafe and possibly the promoter would be held liable.
The WEATHERMAN RELAY and the RDC stream, I think was a huge success thanks to Klaus, Bob Otwell, PCI Rhinnan and Bob Thompson, (whose gear we used, he was sick and couldn't make the trip, however, helped on the internet), and my fiancee Sharlene, who womened the computers.
A big THANK you Bob and all the volunteers who make the relay and the stream happen.
There are reasons some of the rules are in the rule book. Including the 50' rule.

13stout

Reaction
Rule book says DQ for the pit and the coures cutting. Thats what rules are for. Its to bad Sal didnt go all the way thats the rules we all get a rule book
If you are going to coures cut theres a chance your going to get caught.

DQ thats the rule !!!!!!!!!!!!!! IRC does not lie..........

Did i just say that..........:eek: