Do you approve of the Baja 500 penalties?

Do you approve or disapprove of the Baja 500 penalties.

• Approve

Votes: 291 73.9%
  • Disapprove

Votes: 103 26.1%

• Total voters

Elk Hunter

Reaction
I thought that today SCORE would post the rest of the classes. I guess its only 4:30 left coast time. Might still happen. Does anyone know for sure?

Elk Hunter

Reaction
looks like 75% are good with it. I wonder how many of the voters were racers?

Dezman

Reaction
I don't think IRC's stuff is that good!!! I was watching the parker 425 from this year and 2 of the people i was looking at were not even in the country one was shown in Africa and the other in South America hows that for accurate I say BULL S H I T !!!

Last edited:

KC Amigo

Reaction
Approve,

I think that the penalties were all about is keeping the roads open for us to race on. If you look at where the most penalties were given, most of them are about keeping our side of the bargain with the locals.

1. Low line @ San Vicente. If this is where I remember it, the entrance to this line was well marked prerunning with yellow tape and wrong way signs. If someone went to all the trouble to mark it that much, it's for a reason. I also remember Sal telling us in the 1000 last year not to run the low line because the land owner didn't want us to go through his field.

2. Uruapan Cemetary
In the course notes it says "Go left at T intersection / Right goes to cemetary 0.30 359.60" It dosn't say either or. Understandably the locals get po'd if we run through their cemetary. We already are not allowed to go through Uruapan like we did in the past. That is why we have to take the new road with all the silt. If we pixx them off by running through their cemetary when we are told not to they will kick us out of the new road as well.

3. Speeding on the highway
The Federales who are in charge of the highways have already told us not to do this. They also have made a big deal about speeding on the highway in the past. I think everyone has seen the scene in D2G where they stopped all the TTs as well as the video from the Baja 250 where the Federales stopped the Riviera TT in Santo Tomas.

4. Pitting on the pavement
Same deal as #3 it upsets the Federales and we need them to let us race down the highways.

5. RM375 Sorry, no clue on this one.

I wouldn't call the guys who took these lines cheaters. None of what I saw would have won you the race. I think they got penalized for going where SCORE said we would not go and maybe they didn't know not to go there.

There are plenty of other lines that could be considered a course deviation but nobody got penalized for.

I do think that we could be better informed by SCORE about the more sensative areas.

I also agree that the penalty formula is flawed. I think you should get more penalty for turning the thing off than for speeding etc. I would also like to feel confident that if the IRC malfunctioned and it wasn't our fault that that would be taken into consideration. Nothing works 100% of the time.

All in all It's not a perfect solution but I think it is the best we have.

DRTNYRI

Reaction
"Inspect what you Expect"

That's what we say in the Corporate world.

Verbal warning
Memo of Understanding
Record of Disciplinary Action
Termination

elqdeasu

Reaction
What I can't understand is how Sal and SCORE held an awards ceremony at the San Nicolas Hotel on Sun. AM and he acted like all was just fine... haha.... he should have gotten up there and said.... "most of you are in deep sheet, a few of you are not. Awards will be given out in one week in Vegas... the bar is now open!"

Exactly!!!! Great Point!!!!

Were trophies (or plaques) and checks handed out on Sunday after the race?
(Sorry if I missed it and this has already been answered in one of the other 30 threads on the subject, or this one.)

randy s

Reaction

(Sorry if I missed it and this has already been answered in one of the other 30 threads on the subject, or this one.)
...yes

Laurie

Reaction
Website
www.thefactoryracing.com

Sal did say that they were going to check IRC and these were Unofficial results and that these results could change. They gave out plagues but no $$. They always send checks out later. I personally don't think Sal expected that there would be that many penalties. I think we were all shocked at how many there were.

Shannon

Bear on a Unicycle
Reaction
Sal did say that they were going to check IRC and these were Unofficial results and that these results could change. They gave out plagues but no $$. They always send checks out later. I personally don't think Sal expected that there would be that many penalties. I think we were all shocked at how many there were.

Did you guy's get hit at all,I know Dan is careful but seems like SCORE is hammering down on any little thing this time around!!!