• Forum membership has its advantages....

do you think the ASO has it "out" for Robby?

bajaherbie

in light of all that has happened to RG in the last few rallies, do you think it is true or possible? I just watched the coverage of stage four on NBCSN and he said this could be his last Dakar and he is going to rethink his Dakar program in general. he has spoken out in the past about the ASO, maybe they didn't like what they heard. I also read in todays stage 5 coverage about a book covering the Dakar and said there have been many instances about the ASO favoring French teams and or French drivers. sounds like an interesting read!

I certainly hope Robby continues to race in the Dakar and have enjoyed the coverage here on RDC even with fishd00ds c0nstant m0aning about Robby and the the Gordini.

randy s

the ASO has enough to do to worry about a guy who makes them money

blue dog

They didn't like lance Armstrong.

BajaFand

the ASO has enough to do to worry about a guy who makes them money
How much more money does Peugeot make them? I wonder how they really feel about his over the top antics and brashness? You know, every reason we love to have him over there? There may be no better guy to represent us over there.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

randy s

rg is enigmatic..i think the ASO would prefer the fans not to like him so much but he's good for bidness and up to now poses no threat to win the thing...i think if the truth were known, the french guys in charge dig rg just as much as everyone else does....and he's a likable enough guy when he's not telling them to kiss his ass in front of all gods children who are raid fans on world wide tv...

KevinUrie

I think ASO knows as much about off road racing and motorsports as I do. Which is not a hell of a lot.

BajaFand

Can someone post the video from NBC with Robby saying this might be his last rally today? Preferably not linked through Facebook if possible.

SunsetCliffsMocos

They didn't like lance Armstrong.

Because he won and is MERICAN !
He didn't just win... He won 7 times. So decisively that he embarassed the hell out of them. Then they rode their Lancer bikes down double standard road and went on arguably the most hypocritical witch hunt in sporting history...

In one of the dirtiest sports there is, they picked on a cancer survivor with one nut, because their boys couldn't beat him.

bajaherbie

Can someone post the video from NBC with Robby saying this might be his last rally today? Preferably not linked through Facebook if possible.

it was on episode 4 Dakar Rally on NBC Sports (159 on Dish Network).

sb4pro

If so what is it about Robby that seems to draw the ire of sanctioning bodies ? I do think there is something going on but still don't want to see Robby change for anyone . I mean look at the record , NASCRAP , ASO , Indy and to a lesser extent SCORE . All of them have had " problems " with Robby . So what's their beef ?

mrlentle

I think no. They've got better things to do with their time. I have never seen where the info came from in regards to the infamous tyre inflation DQ but would certainly assume that the ASO was prompted by a competitor to investigate rather than them trying to dig dirt on their own accord. While I agree it may come across that the ASO is anti this or that, I think that is more something that's lost in translation/culture than anything else.
In regards to the Charlie Boorman book you speak of - I've read all his books and really enjoyed every one of them (expect perhaps "By any Means") but I don't know how much I'd read into his complaints. I like the guy but he can be pretty whiney from time to time.
As for the Lance Armstrong comparison - didn't he even admit to being a cheater? That's something I've always believed RG is not!

Hendricus

All we've heard is Robby's side. We have not heard the ASO's side of the story. Do they provide the competitors with a written statement that clearly states the specific violation(s), and the subsequent penalty(s)?

One would think that any one of us could connect the alleged specific violation(s), to the applicable rule(s), in the rule book.

Robby himself admits to missing the speed zone. Did he miss multiple zones? Did he fall prey to accrued violations? How many speed zones did he miss? Does Robby and Kellon even know?

Peterhansel himself said that he did not like how many speed reduction zones there are. The Dakar is quite the parade through the towns anymore.