dodge 5.2l issue

stoprez2006

Reaction
Hey guys I could use some advice. I have a 1998 Ram 1500 4wd and had an issue with it that I don't understand. This last weekend I was camping at Lake San Antonio with my family and was headed home Tuesday. I was towing a small trailer home which I have hauled many times before. I was about half way through San Luis Obispo going around 60mph and traffic slowed a bit so I let off the throttle and when traffic picked up again I stepped on the gas. The problem is the truck felt like it had zero power and was suddenly running extremly rough, so I pulled to the shoulder and before I could stop it stalled. After spending two hours trying to get it restarted we called AAA for a tow the rest of the way home. After getting it home I started using a meter and checking all the fuses, relays, relay sockets everything in an effort to figurte out what happened. After some more tinkering around checking plugs and coil wires and everything i decided to see if there was any pressure in the fuel rail as I suspected a bad pump. Well there was pressure in it so i decided to try starting the truck again, by this time almost 36hrs had passed since the truck died, and suddenly everything works as advertised and the truck starts everytime and idles normally. I am completely confused as to why it stalled and how exactly I fixed it. My dad thought maybe some how it vapor locked or something, what do you all think?

HardCharger81

Reaction
Did you just check you spark?

My dodge did the same thing, went though all the same tests. Could not find the problem.
I dunno why, but I swapped coils and it fired right up, and hasn't done it again.
Dunno if thats your issue, but I had spark, that was the weird part. Maybe the coil was weak, again
dunno... I was just about to give up and something told me to swap them. Dodge's are awesome. *sarcasm*

stoprez2006

Reaction
Yes I did check for spark while I was on the side of the road and it had what seemed to me to be a good spark. After I got the truck home I could get it to run if I poured some gas into the throttle body but it would run ok for a bit then once the fuel burned off it would die. After checking for pressure in the fuel rail I had poured a bit more gas in and tried to start it but it didn't want to fire, then I held the throttle wide open and it fired up so I held the rpms right about 2000 or so for about a minute then let off to see if it would stay running but then it died so I restarted and held the rpms again for about 2-3 mins. This time i let off the throttle and it stayed running way longer than the fuel I poured in and ever since has been running normal. Thats what has me confused, the fact that it died and ran like junk when it would sort of start and then suddenly its back to normal.

Sparky

Reaction
Crap in the fuel tank blocking the pickup? When was the last time you changed your fuel filter?

Shred918

Reaction
I glanced over this but did you check for codes on it?

Your fix might have been a computer reset..... I am just saying.

stoprez2006

Reaction
Sparky,
I thought about it being crap blocking the pickup but once the suction went away wouldn't whatever it was fall off? As far as the filter goes I have never changed that and that was my first thought. However, the filter is built into the pressure regulator which is built into the top of the pump. My inderstanding is you can't change one without the others.

Shred,
I hadn't check codes in the truck, it never did toss a light or anything but it is a good point. I never unhooked the battery once the problem occured to reset any codes either. I did drain the battery to the point that I had to charge it up once I got it home but it wasn't a totally dead battery, I mean the stereo and lights all worked just not enough to start it. Come to think of it though, the behavior exhibited once we got home and it did start reminds me of the way the truck acts when I do run the battery down but that doesn't answer why it died in the first place and why it hasn't happened again this week as I have been driving the truck to and from work this week and that is a half hour commute.

manicmechanic

Reaction
We have a couple of these in our fleet. Both had no runs due to fuel pumps. one about 95,000 miles and the other about 120.000
Both were driven to the shop after eventualy restarting. One by pounding on the bottom of the tank while someone else cranked the engine and the other after cooling off.
Dodge will take good care of your $300 for a new pump assembly.

stoprez2006

Reaction
well the truck did it again yesterday. went to home depot to pick up a few things and wouldn't run to leave. called a buddy to tow me home and he wanted to try smacking the tank while i tried to start it and it worked which made me confident replacing the pump would fix it like i thought it would. $250 later for the new pump the truck is fixed and running properly. Thanks for your help guys I really appreciate it.

bajatruks

Reaction
same thing happend to my dads truck and couldnt figure it out so we took it to a shop in westminister and got a new fuel pump and replaced the sensors there were no problems since