• Forum membership has its advantages....

dodge class 8 build

bullock1

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!! Got the 5.7 HEMI to fire today after 9yrs just took some Wyoming jerry rig and a bottle of 101 Wild Turkey!!!!

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

bullock1

So! It’s been about 18months since my last post. The truck is about 90% wired, the brakes are all plumbed, the steering is all plumbed, the rear end is fully assembled, the cooling system is plumbed mostly, still need to build some mounting brackets but we have been able to run the engine up to temp a few times now, the driveline is ordered and should be here next week along with the sway bar. If all goes well I hope to be driving it under its own power in the next few weeks.
IMG_2174.jpg
IMG_2175.jpg
IMG_2176.jpg
IMG_2178.jpg
IMG_2181.jpg
IMG_2182.jpg
IMG_2177.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

pwerwagn

Glad you’ve made progress! I dig this thread up every few months to check for updates.

Lookin good!!!

bullock1

IMG_3169.jpg
IMG_3170.jpg
IMG_3171.jpg
IMG_3172.jpg
IMG_3173.jpg

Got the driveline built and installed, we were able to drive the truck around a few weeks ago. We removed the 35 gallon fuel tank and had a 70 gallon built, so we are reengineering the back half of the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

Can i ask a question on the suspension and how this is a class 8? I thought the rules were has to use stock mounting locations? Sorry new here and trying to understand the break down of rules. I am getting to think Class 8XXX is has to use a frame and same make motor as in the vehicle, after that hog wild?

bullock1

Can i ask a question on the suspension and how this is a class 8? I thought the rules were has to use stock mounting locations? Sorry new here and trying to understand the break down of rules. I am getting to think Class 8XXX is has to use a frame and same make motor as in the vehicle, after that hog wild?

bullock1

Front suspension must be of same configuration as originally installed from factory (arm/I-Beam)
Rear suspension is open, can have leaf springs, coil overs/four link, travel is unlimited as long as the tires come inside the fender wells.

Pretty much per the BITD rule book.

Front suspension must be of same configuration as originally installed from factory (arm/I-Beam)
Rear suspension is open, can have leaf springs, coil overs/four link, travel is unlimited as long as the tires come inside the fender wells.

Pretty much per the BITD rule book.
But would the suspension here be a "J" arm or still conisdered "a" arm. That is the part that was throwing me.

So by BITD could you center mount a "a arm" like stock and still be class 8 legal?

bullock1

Per BITD which I called several years ago when we first started building this truck they said they considered a J arm an arm and it was legal! I hope that is still the case, if not I guess we will run Trophy Truck. Not sure what you mean by center mounted a-arm?

bullock1

We designed this truck after the Greer’s class 8 Dodge that Kent Kroeker bought. It had a j-arm setup and they raced class 8 in BITD and Score for several years.

@bullock1 I looked at the rules and it looks like they updated it?

The rule basically is: SUSPENSION COMPONENTS: Tires must retract inside of fenders.

- SO that means kind of WIDE open then correct?

That’s how I read it as well!
Just saw this build good to see another dodge being built. Keep an eye on front upper arms had a similar arm design in 07 which folded up under breaking at Laughlin causing our only DNF and points championship. Ended up adding plate with tube and mono ball was horizontal. I'll look for pictures. Glen