• Forum membership has its advantages....

DODGE RAM REBEL TRX give RAPTOR a run for it's money?????

Kent Kroeker

I still don't understand why the Kore Tactical (now Minotar) stuff didn't take off. (I know the answer, it's because Mopar sucks at branding), but still, Kent had it right back then, I think he just got the shaft from Mopar frankly. This is a step in the right direction because the implementation has improved, but suspension performance wise it's not better than what was already offered. It is definitely a great mid-travel competitor for the Raptors, especially since the new Raptors will only have a V6. My fear is that this thing, with that power plant, will be 70k+ and won't be attractive, especially when you want to upgrade the front suspension for more travel and you dump another 10-12k into like alot of the LT Raptor guys do. They need to offer this as a truck in all models, base to beefed up, and as a kit you can buy and install for all models (but not for the 30k add on sticker that Prefix is offering). I'll get back to building my 07 Ram now.....

Great post!

The Prefix Minotaur has taken off. They're being sold all over the world - even have a couple rolling around in Abu Dhabi and Dubai. The objective with these trucks was to outperform a stock Raptor. The Minoaur does this with big 3.0 Fox Reservoir internal bypass shocks front and rear - the kind of shocks one would use to upgrade a stock Raptor. The big arms and color-matched composite body panels make it not cheap, but it's much less expensive than a DIY job - and even less than a comparably equipped Raptor.

One quick note for the record: I did not get the shaft from Mopar. I didn't have any follow on deal to supply parts or anything, so I had no expectations from them other than making some concept vehicles. There was no malfeasance or breach of integrity on their part. Back then Mopar had some good guys on board and we had a lot of fun with these projects.

I have no grudge against them for anything, just a contempt for the American Corporate (and governmental, for that matter!) hubris that makes them think they can dictate what consumers/citizen preferences should be instead of determining what they actually are.

The magnificent release of the Ram Rebel is an example of this kind of total nonsense: - literally painful to watch - like when your buddy is trying to get you to date his girlfriend's BFF who has a "good personality."

"That customers and dealers have been asking for" [tail wagging the dog - cough, cough]

The only bummer that I've expressed in the past is that there is an almost universal indifference to an authentic off road market and culture that very obviously exists. It's not just indifference from Chrysler; it's from all the Majors except Ford.

Now, ten years later they are all having some kind of weird off-road epiphany? None of the off-road concepts we've seen from the Majors will ever be produced. Here's why:

1. Nobody outside of Ford knows anything about off road. There is no legacy knowledge at the C-suite levels of Dodge, Chevy, Toyota or Nissan that could approve the production of a desert truck. The chubby desk guy who would have to OK those projects thinks Baja is a brand of taco shell and doesn't know a bypass shock from the surgery he had last year.

2. Even at the nameplate engineer levels, it would take years of participation in our world before some kind of legitimate competition for the Raptor would ever roll off an assembly line.

3. Large, impersonal corporations have little imagination and even less initiative. The people in charge are bureaucrats who methodically protect their careers by not taking risks. At this point, small companies run by motorsport enthusiasts like Prefix and hardcore individuals like DirtKingDodge are the only entities capable of creating real performance.

It's shame because the Ram chassis is awesome. Box frame that doesn't bend like the Raptor's and coil link suspension in the rear. It's a great truck. We thrashed these things in testing and never broke one:
Minotaur.jpg

nimrod

KOOK!
If an independent became president would his motorcade be all buggies?

Get it, transaxle, independent. Aye Carrumba I kill myself!

Sam Berri for President with his VP Pat Dean!

DirtKingDodge

Great post!

The Prefix Minotaur has taken off. They're being sold all over the world - even have a couple rolling around in Abu Dhabi and Dubai. The objective with these trucks was to outperform a stock Raptor. The Minoaur does this with big 3.0 Fox Reservoir internal bypass shocks front and rear - the kind of shocks one would use to upgrade a stock Raptor. The big arms and color-matched composite body panels make it not cheap, but it's much less expensive than a DIY job - and even less than a comparably equipped Raptor.

One quick note for the record: I did not get the shaft from Mopar. I didn't have any follow on deal to supply parts or anything, so I had no expectations from them other than making some concept vehicles. There was no malfeasance or breach of integrity on their part. Back then Mopar had some good guys on board and we had a lot of fun with these projects.

I have no grudge against them for anything, just a contempt for the American Corporate (and governmental, for that matter!) hubris that makes them think they can dictate what consumers/citizen preferences should be instead of determining what they actually are.

The magnificent release of the Ram Rebel is an example of this kind of total nonsense: - literally painful to watch - like when your buddy is trying to get you to date his girlfriend's BFF who has a "good personality."

"That customers and dealers have been asking for" [tail wagging the dog - cough, cough]

The only bummer that I've expressed in the past is that there is an almost universal indifference to an authentic off road market and culture that very obviously exists. It's not just indifference from Chrysler; it's from all the Majors except Ford.

Now, ten years later they are all having some kind of weird off-road epiphany? None of the off-road concepts we've seen from the Majors will ever be produced. Here's why:

1. Nobody outside of Ford knows anything about off road. There is no legacy knowledge at the C-suite levels of Dodge, Chevy, Toyota or Nissan that could approve the production of a desert truck. The chubby desk guy who would have to OK those projects thinks Baja is a brand of taco shell and doesn't know a bypass shock from the surgery he had last year.

2. Even at the nameplate engineer levels, it would take years of participation in our world before some kind of legitimate competition for the Raptor would ever roll off an assembly line.

3. Large, impersonal corporations have little imagination and even less initiative. The people in charge are bureaucrats who methodically protect their careers by not taking risks. At this point, small companies run by motorsport enthusiasts like Prefix and hardcore individuals like DirtKingDodge are the only entities capable of creating real performance.

It's shame because the Ram chassis is awesome. Box frame that doesn't bend like the Raptor's and coil link suspension in the rear. It's a great truck. We thrashed these things in testing and never broke one:
View attachment 174260
Thanks for your insight Kent, it's always good to hear your side of things. Thanks for the correction as well! It's good to hear there was no ill will anywhere.

I 100% agree with you about the corporate (and governmental) idea that they know what's best for us and what we want. You're right, the Ram Rebel is a perfect example of us getting something we don't want. Chevy is the same way (the Reaper? Really?) I don't understand what these guys are thinking, or who they are thinking they are marketing to. Prefix is helping and I think that DK nailed it suspension wise, but I think there's still alot of potential for competition. Ram/Chevy/Toyota need to peruse the Instagram pages of Mazzulla Offroad, your Kore page, SDHQ offroad, Carli Suspension etc and see what people are having built if they need examples of what the Offroad community really wants. Things still won't change but we can hope right?

One thing I'm looking forward to seeing is what type of upgrades Ram did to the Rebels smaller components (trans/oil/engine cooling options, power steering upgrades resi and rack, brakes, etc - all of the things I'm finding wanting on my 2007 now that I'm building it up. Like you said though, the main platform is so great, BTF went on and on about how well built the chassis is on my 1500.

Thanks again for your input. We'll see what happens with this TRX in the future!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

baja619

Food for thought. I know of a high level national brand Chevrolet sub component that has enlisted a popular Instagram page to "do their thing" and the occasional brand exposure at major events.

It's small potatoes but it's a start.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today