• Forum membership has its advantages....

Does everyones notcher do this?

Check out this vid. I was wondering if everyones notcher grabs like this.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.pencilart.com/photo/notch.wmv>http://www.pencilart.com/photo/notch.wmv</A>

By the way thats Notch there getting worked AKA Ryan AKA Garage Bitch, I threw out my shoulder good last time so no more for me :)

Go Big Or Go Home

Tyson

Hey that all looks real familiar, was I just there. . . oh wait was that doing my bumper? jajaja

You may beat me in the flats, but watch out in the whoops! ! !

Oh and dont get the notchers from Ebay for like $70 cause the plate they are on bends! Notch bent it today!

So I guess I gotta pay the $199 and get the JD2 or something.

Go Big Or Go Home

jeff

Austin - you are handy with tools... make one! I too have had problems with cheap notchers - that's why I'm designing my own using the KISS principal and strong (heavy) materials.

I'll draw them up in solidworks... you build them and sell them! :)

Aloha

heheh. Sure draw one up and let me see what I can do. My dad works at a CNC machine shop so he might be able to help out.

Go Big Or Go Home

jarreptolson

you might think about mounting the notcher to a vise or a work bench or something instead of letting it sit on the ground, also when i notch i usually use a little wd-40 every couple of seconds and spray it on the bit.

Tyson

TRUE TRUE, but then we wouldn't have the comedy films that we keep getting from Austin. Actually he was Oiling it up quite a bit, but this was at the very end of a tube so its gonna be jerky no matter what you do. If was mounted to a bench it woul` still kick right? but just the drill not the whole thing.

Actually we tried it in a vise before and its way worse. Cause it still kicks but the tube dosent move or the notcher so just the drill moves and it really really rips your arm off!

Go Big Or Go Home

Tyson

C'mon now Austin. "Notch" can handle it now. hehehe - he's getting good at it right?

MNotary

Mount it to a heavy table, get directly behind the handle and don't trigger it. Are you guys as scary as you seem? Welder doesn't like the WD/oil...

Tyson

No it isnt as scary as it looks. The scary part is that Austin trusts NOTCH with power tools . . .hehehe and we were using the gear oil or something Im not quite sure (not wd-40) and we cleaned it off before we started welding it on my truck.

BIG_FAT_LOSER

vid was slow on my pc but, Have you tried a new bit (hole saw). And a smaller drill motor. I have found the hole saws wear fast

<font color=red>PAT KAPKO</font color=red>
<font color=yellow>Fab by travolta</font color=yellow>

MNotary

I read a ad that said the saws are good for 10 cars. I think that may be a stretch.

Those things do "catch" like that. Set it on higher table, give it a stiff arm square to the handle and you will win, even with a good drill. On the bigger saws you wnat a slower speed.

The shop I "hang" at has that "joint jigger" and a end mill with a rotating machine vise with V-blocks set on a cross slide table.

I never thought of getting the goofy guy to do the notching though, good thing I look on this board....

Yea thats what Notch is there for!

Actually that was like a brand new holesaw heh.

Its alright now that we got Notch doing it.

Go Big Or Go Home

Tyson

Hey in "Notch's" defense after you've told him a few times to do it, he goes to town on it. He zips through those things, its pretty cool. BUt that probably is why he bent it, too much pressure on it - dammit NOTCH!

HAHA

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
I knew flat billers were good for something! haha

Set up a notch jig, bolt it to the ground, and use more lube, less pressure, and a slower drill speed. Should not have any jerking or bending problems. Let the drill do its job wothout forcing it too.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.csupomona.edu/~kjhernandez>My Web Page</A>

firedog

I know a-lot of you guys aren't looking for a high end notcher but our sponsors Advanced Off-Road Research in Grand Junction, CO have a killer sanding belt notcher. It has a belt that goes around a die, what ever size you need and all you do is hold the piece of tubbing up to the sanding belt at the desired angle and notch it. It only takes 30 seconds or so and it is done, go and check your angles, make any adjustments and you are done. We used to use the drill and hole saw method until we got hooked up with these guys. It also doubles as a grinder really, comes in real handy when making gussets because you can sand in almost any angle. When using the drill/hole saw method just do like Kritter said and let the drill do the work, we mounted ours in a vice to hold it in place and used WD/40 as a lubricant. Good luck!

firedog

I don't know for sure but I'm guessing a couple grand. It mounts to the floor and is on a stand. The belt is about 4" wide and 36" long. There is a little door on the top that folds up for flat sanding or you can just sand where the die is.