Does Verizon Wireless work well in Baja for the 2017 Baja 1000?

Zambo

RDC Crypto
I've noticed that the last couple of times I've been down there, my ATT iPhone doesn't show caller ID on incoming calls like it used to and that the reception seems to have taken a hit. Still pretty good though and can't beat the convenience of just taking your same old phone that you use every day and just continuing to use it as normal when south of the border.

Phoenix0783

RDC Crypto
I have verizon and my phone worked great down there last year. Make sure you get their travel plan thing for while you're down there. It's like $5/day or something. I even had them send me a phone to use in place of my regular one.

Ben77

RDC Crypto
I have T-mo and i've had 2g in remote areas. good enough for txts and calls.

I work at T-mo incase you have any questions PM me.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
RDC Crypto
also remember service will be inexistent from rosario to GN outside of sat phone on 1 and from south of SF to chapala... on 3. Big dead spots.

MAC FAB

RDC Crypto
AT&T, Viva Mexico plan. Uses both Tel Cel and Movistar towers down there, no problems with reception on a crappy flip phone! My Verizon phone is good til just past Ensenada then reception goes to "nada".

200MPHTape

RDC Crypto
Should make a sticky about cel use down there, from Buckman Springs to Ocotillo on I8 I end up on mextel.
I have found that when trying to call any other US number while down there on any service, dial area code then number, don't use 1, 01, 001, or any other combination.

Mike321

RDC Crypto
The best option is to have friends with different carriers, and supplement with a sat phone. I’ve had 4 bars when friends have zero and vice versa.

Tip: Update your roaming options prior to travel with your mobile provider. Reach out to your service provider on how to do this. This isn't a sales situation, it involves updating the "database" on your device that your carrier uses outside of the US.

Last edited:

JJ LJR

RDC Crypto
Website
www.baldiracing.com
I agree with the below quote. I have Verizon and have raced NORRA and the BAJA 1000 the last few years. Verizon works great all the way down to Cabo (just like the US, lose reception here or there). Get the travel plan. Its $5 per day while using. If you set it up before you go, you don't start the $5 a day until you make your 1st call/text while in Mex. You don't have to call or cancel when you get home. Just make a call from the USA and they stop charging the $5 per day. The next time you head south you have to do nothing, but make a phone call in Mex and the $5 automatically starts again.

I have verizon and my phone worked great down there last year. Make sure you get their travel plan thing for while you're down there. It's like $5/day or something. I even had them send me a phone to use in place of my regular one.

Chris Tobin

RDC Crypto
I agree with the below quote. I have Verizon and have raced NORRA and the BAJA 1000 the last few years. Verizon works great all the way down to Cabo (just like the US, lose reception here or there). Get the travel plan. Its $5 per day while using. If you set it up before you go, you don't start the $5 a day until you make your 1st call/text while in Mex. You don't have to call or cancel when you get home. Just make a call from the USA and they stop charging the $5 per day. The next time you head south you have to do nothing, but make a phone call in Mex and the $5 automatically starts again.
That sounds good, I'll look into it for sure... Thanks!!!

Chris Tobin

RDC Crypto
I am leaning more and more toward the DeLorme InReach Explorer or Garmin InReach Explorer+ they allow two-way text communication as well as online tracking and use the Iridium Satellites so they will work everywhere.

The DeLorme is the older, but still available new for as little as $260-300, unit and it has a smaller screen and must be paired with a phone or tablet to show mapping/navigating data, but the phone or tablet does not need cell service, you gust need to download the maps in advance. http://www.gpscity.com/delorme-inreach-explorer

Garmin purchased DeLorme and released the InReach Explorer+ in their packaging, it is basically the same unit with a slightly larger screen (still too small to really do any navigating on) that will show maps and navigating on screen, but can still be tethered to a phone or tablet. The Explorer+ is running $450-500 from what I have seen. http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-inreach-explorer-plus-satellite-communicator

As I understand it both units operate basically the same and offer similar tracking as a SPOT for friends and family to monitor progress, but they add the functionality of 2-way texting so that you can send and receive text messages to update friends and family directly. It seems to me like these would be great for Baja use. They also have an SOS feature that is monitored 24/7 to send rescue if needed.

Has anyone used one of these? I'm going to start a new thread specifically to these type of units...

Chris Tobin

RDC Crypto
I have a Delorme. love it.
Thanks Pat! Which model do you have? Have you used it to keep in touch with your wife while in remote places in Baja? Which service plan do you use and which one do you think is best for the Baja 1000. I was thinking the Expedition Plan with unlimited text messages would be best for being down there for the trip down and back up the peninsula.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
RDC Crypto
so 2 years ago I was fed up with carrying a burner phone that was ATT and my verizon phone for baja. I switched to T-Mobile which uses GSM. 2 years later I am fed up with T-mobile and my domestic adventures via moto, mtb, rig etc where it seems verizon still is the best, ATT is there but so so and my t-mobile is garbage. Sometimes it will even say i have LTE but data doesnt work, texts via imessage dotn go thru, etc...

Verizon now (as of 2 weeks ago) has an unlimited plan that includes canada and mexico for $80 or $85. Looking into it more the past few weeks and talking with some folks who live in baja it is claimed that verizon is as good as ATT BUT it depends on phone and phone settings. Thats a big but.

Baja only has 1 CDMA carrier (iusacell)and they are small so service will suck on CDMA. Verizon phones are dual band so you can turn off CDMA so they pick up GSM (tel cel, movistar)something I learned this past week. So as I say goodbye to my T-mobile and hello to good ol trusty verizon I will be giving a test run with alternative settings in baja to see if it actually works as good with a few tweaks.

If it doesnt, I will go back to the burner sim card for baja from t-mobile or ATT and my iphone works with both technologies which is important to check before makign any rash decisions. There are ATT/T-mobile versions of the 7 and Verizon/Sprint versions. THe verizon/sprint version work with all carrier technologies. The ATT/T-mobile only work on GSM so youre hosed if you buy an $850 iphone from ATT/T-mobile and wantt to switch to verizon. I learned the hardway but luckily T-mobile was cool and let me take it back after the return timeframe had expired.

Verizon on iphone 6s with cdma off worked as good as my tmobile device. The unlimited plan from verizon with mexico and canada for $85/month was a good choice. I just wanted to update this thread since I now know that so long as CDMA is turned off for roaming, Verizon is = to my experience with T-mobile and better than a buddy with a iphone 5s with ATT with me.

That put the nail in this coffin for me...no looking back.

Chris Tobin

RDC Crypto
Verizon worked great for me down there where we had signal. I upgraded my plan for $46 or so to 16GB and unlimited text and talk and we were able to keep in contact with my wife in CA. I was using a Samsung Note 4 phone.