Donald Jackson resigns as Operations Manager of BITD

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Right up until he would take a race location another promoter had been using and pull a permit for the same date that another promoter had a history with a plant an event there. But yeah, he was classy right up until THAT phone call.

Robin Hood

Reaction
Casey was one of the first to tell me KOH was stupid and would never work. He also stood up in a Land Use meeting and said yahoos like me would be the reason why Desert Racing would be outlawed because we would get people killed.

I still think its lame to start FB Pages and apply for permits when you are employed to do that for someone else. I think Desert Racing in general is in trouble and infighting and egos put it even further in Jeopardy.

And just like I dont lose sleep about what anyone thinks, I dont have any expectation that anyone cares what I have to say.

Cheers
I'm am surprised as well that you are taking this position. I agree and respect a lot of what you have to say, but this...Really?

I commend employees that have dreams bigger or different than their employers and decide to chase those dreams. It's really the american way. Let's face it, who doesn't start to plan for a move before they actually do it? I would be more curious about their business plan and the market they are going after?

johnnyweb

Reaction
Right up until he would take a race location another promoter had been using and pull a permit for the same date that another promoter had a history with a plant an event there. But yeah, he was classy right up until THAT phone call.
Not sure what date you are referring to must have been prior to the early 2000's when I started racing at BITD because since then I have never seen that happen the schedule and event remained pretty consistent.. You said had been using meaning they were not using anymore?

Robin Hood

Reaction
That race promoter should have done a better job and they wouldn't have lost the race.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
Not the point. Casey would never go on a public forum and talk poop he was a class act!
As much as I will stay out of this drama, I am laughing out loud uncontrollably at this. Casey couldn’t even figure out how to read a text message on his phone and had to ask people around him to do it. (It was a flip phone). He never read emails unless Diane printed them for him and left him on his desk and he never even comprehended what a “forum” was.

at least on the plus side that meant good or bad, you got an actual call from him when he wanted needed or wanted to answer something for someone.

Robin Hood

Reaction
Not sure what date you are referring to must have been prior to the early 2000's when I started racing at BITD because since then I have never seen that happen the schedule and event remained pretty consistent.. You said had been using meaning they were not using anymore?
I'm assuming he is talking about Parker.

dezert_nerd

Reaction
I think Legacy is gonna turn into a great race organization. As far as desert racing goes, I don't think you could've picked a better team to start a brand new organization. They're not doing it for the money, fame, or attention, they're doing it to put on good races. Don and Liz already have a good established relationship with the BLM as is that permits will more than likely not be an issue. Really, all that's needed is a little bit of funding to start up, volunteers to show up, and the rest will take care of itself. I don't think anyone on here can say one bad thing about Don or Liz, and if you do chances are you're lying or you deserved whatever flak you got from them. Both of them are some of the nicest people I've met and that alone will help propel that organization to the top over time. I can't wait, good times are ahead!

BigAlRudd

Reaction
I have one comment on the hand off of BITD Casey was a very thought out and planned man .
Casey choose his Sons Daryl and Bryan too inherit Best in the Desert not any one else . If he didn’t have the upmost confidence in them to run and expand his dream he would have left it to someone else.

J Prich

Reaction
As much as I will stay out of this drama, I am laughing out loud uncontrollably at this. Casey couldn’t even figure out how to read a text message on his phone and had to ask people around him to do it. (It was a flip phone). He never read emails unless Diane printed them for him and left him on his desk and he never even comprehended what a “forum” was.

at least on the plus side that meant good or bad, you got an actual call from him when he wanted needed or wanted to answer something for someone.
Beat me to it, lol. I was going to suggest that it seems crazy to suggest that the guy who institutionalized “whistle d!ck” didn’t post trash talk on the internet because he felt it violated decorum and good order lol. I’m pretty sure if he could have stomached figuring out how to actually log in, he would have shared the same thoughts he told everyone out loud in person.

Randy Ross

Reaction
Organization got a helluva of lot done in a couple of days since leaving a company that was paying them . Does it smell

NIKAL

Reaction
All this does is hurt the racers. We have way too many races as is. Curious to see what the BITD regulars decide to do.
Pat how does this hurt the racers? I’d think more choices would be better for the racer and the cream will always rise to the top.

Plus you need multiple tear series. We need Snore, More & Code for the lower budget classes and teams. Not everyone can afford or wants to race the more expensive series. Then you have Score & BITD as the premier series with Ultra 4, KOTH and Marteli’s Mint novelty races thrown in.

In your guys case your not loyal to one series anyways. Your racing what you deem to be the best events, and what your sponsorship feels are the best events. Your schedule has 4 series in it, Score, BITD, Marteli’s and Ultra4.

This is a Performane business, if Legacy does not perform they won’t be around long. Then again one of their races might end up on your teams list if important races to be at?

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Here is how it hurts the racers. Every race will now have less entries because of this. Its as simple as that. Everytime some new org starts then it takes cars away from other races. KOH Took TTs from BITD Parker, The Baja 500 would have taken cars from V2R if it didnt get rescheduled. There is only so many days in a year to have races so it sucks when there are big races so close together.

IMO there should be 2-3 series MAX. 1-2 premier SCORE/BITD/KOH style series with big races and big entry fees, then 1-2 small orgs at the most for smaller races. MORE and SNORE should be combined if you ask me, it would help both of them.

JDDurfey

Reaction
How much more money is available from corporate sponsors for desert racing. It doesn't look to me like companies are lining up to put their name on a race. And how much more contingency money is out there for another series. I know no one gets into desert racing to "make money", but if there is little to now incentive to race a race or series in the form of contingency or corporate sponsorship pay outs why would a "small team" race a race? If the race org can't get corporate sponsors, the racers pay higher entry fees correct? If there is little to no contingency there is even less of a draw for racer.

From where I sit, SNORE is the place to race if you are a limited class team on a budget. Some of their paybacks are huge for desert racing.

mgobaja

Reaction
VORRA and BORE are out there to both great to race with. not big numbers but have been around a long time,
I think if they can put on a good race and draw in some competition they will do well.
Exactly. Regional series are very important. Like CODE and Record in Northern Baja - both do well as they are different sides of the penninsula. Then there are a few other regional series scattered througout Baja.

Yes, this addition does fill the Southern Nevada calendar, and it will split some entries. But if they are able to offer a better product, that appeals to racers, then they are doing the right thing. If it was done out of spite, to divide entries, then it is likely to be short lived.

MORE and SNORE have their loyal customers, with a few of them venturing to SCORE and BITD as budgets allow for races they deem as " fun " or " bucket list " events.

contingency dollars - are MUCH smaller than they were years ago. In the early 90;s at Score races, you would leave tech with a battery from Duralast, a few cases of product from Valvoline and lots of other goodies. If you ran their sticker, you got the product. Times change.

Payback from SNORE is good, as they are a nonprofit, so instead of paying salaries a larger portion of the entry fee monies get sent back to the racers.

kyle_pc_75

Reaction
I'll be interested to see how it affects the NV racing orgs, but I don't see this affecting BOR. We attract three main types of racers:
  • Loyal locals to Utah, Colorado, Idaho etc who don't want to travel further south or pay big buck entry fees.
  • Entry level racers getting a feeling for what desert racing is all about who don't mind throwing down a few hundred bucks for an entry fee to see if they like it.
  • Guys like Pyle and RST who use it for fun/testing/whatever you want to call it between their big races.
I don't think it's a factor in where people choose to race, but we also offer race courses that aren't all beat to hell multiple times every year. We also offer more of a family campout style event than a Las Vegas Strip event. I personally enjoy the Mint and Fremont Street, but I like our Friday night family style BBQ's the most with the occasional foray to the pool at the Horseshu. 🤣

All that said, I think it'd be cool as hell to be a minor league to the majors, but who's going to get everyone to the table? It's been talked about for years...

ekozy39

Reaction
Here is how it hurts the racers. Every race will now have less entries because of this. Its as simple as that. Everytime some new org starts then it takes cars away from other races. KOH Took TTs from BITD Parker, The Baja 500 would have taken cars from V2R if it didnt get rescheduled. There is only so many days in a year to have races so it sucks when there are big races so close together.

IMO there should be 2-3 series MAX. 1-2 premier SCORE/BITD/KOH style series with big races and big entry fees, then 1-2 small orgs at the most for smaller races. MORE and SNORE should be combined if you ask me, it would help both of them.
I guess if the only only downside mentioned is the possibility of less entries then that "hurts" but is there the potential for more upside? I think it's like any competitive market, options are good and if Legacy targets a new, underserved market or steps up and delivers something BITD isn't then how is that a bad thing for racers? If Legacy runs on new, more technical course that aren't 90% graded roads, even if car counts are down a little, but courses are better than I'd say that's a win. Maybe they have better tracking, live streams, faster updates, etc, that is also a win, no? It's too soon to tell what added value they bring, but I like the options. No one talks about them much, but DP4 and AVE run a local UTV series and both draw solid numbers, not BITD or SCORE level cars, but they serve a particular type of racer and from what I've seen doing very well. I think DP4's last race has 30+ UTVs and they are a fairly new series.

I've promoted bike races at a national level under a large sanctioning body, and when we opened our track the other tracks also called us "dumb", but we served a different city and actually helped bring new riders to the sport and in turn all tracks grew. Rising tide lifts all boats, might not happen over night, but will happen IMO.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
Keep in mind that while they have announced a 5 race series some are very specific races that are for instance Motorcycle Quad only, or UTV only type events. The reality is it’s 3 more race options for most classes available to them. In reality that is no different than when SCORE had 3 more US races.