Donald Jackson resigns as Operations Manager of BITD

calstyl2

Reaction
I have one comment on the hand off of BITD Casey was a very thought out and planned man .
Casey choose his Sons Daryl and Bryan too inherit Best in the Desert not any one else . If he didn’t have the upmost confidence in them to run and expand his dream he would have left it to someone else.
If you really knew what Casey had planned and wanted you would of never posted this nonsense, the truth is there was no post Casey plan.

J Prich

Reaction
I appreciate the optimism and hope that it all
works out great for everyone. A few of my overall thoughts...

- It’s hard for me to imagine this split staying amicable. One side or the other is inevitably going to express something about the other, in my opinion. Neither side has really spoken to why what feels like a fairly abrupt departure actually happened..

- The reality is BITD just lost 80% of its corporate knowledge and arguably their two most respected and vital staff members. With them goes an awful lot of additional loyal support staff AND most likely some previously loyal BITD racers. Very difficult to replace.

- Racers are a finite resource and when any two orgs have events that compete, they tend to both suffer. There are tons of examples that demonstrate this. It’s hard to look at January and think that this split won’t have an immediate impact on what car counts look like for both of these series events.

At the end of the day, I personally don’t see it being possible to have both orgs existing in the same space and “thriving”. One side is ultimately going to have to bury the other.

johndjmix

Reaction
I assume he left BITD on good terms?

—john

Goober

Reaction
Can someone explain how the Blm issues permits? Can Score file for a permit to run its own Parker or Laughlin race?

frozenh2o

Reaction
Interesting note, the Legacy Facebook page was created on April 29, 2020.......while they were still working for BITD.......this is going to get ugly I bet.
Nah, there is nothing illegal about planning (on your own time) a competitive startup business while still working for an employer. In addition, the previous employer cannot deny a person from utilizing the knowledge aquired while under their employ, with an exception for outright theft like a customer list, or a proprietary trade secret.

J Prich

Reaction
Nah, there is nothing illegal about planning (on your own time) a competitive startup business while still working for an employer. In addition, the previous employer cannot deny a person from utilizing the knowledge aquired while under their employ, with an exception for outright theft like a customer list, or a proprietary trade secret.
I got an email yesterday announcing the new series. Who else got that....?

ht racing

Reaction
Can someone explain how the Blm issues permits? Can Score file for a permit to run its own Parker or Laughlin race?
only so many permits per year and score wants nothing to do with the united states permit. Nevada gives out more permits than Arizona at 3 per year. bluewater race does not need a blm permit as its all on indian land and when you do not follow the blm rules you can loose your permit as snore did with the mint 400.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
So individual BLM offices have use plans that typically dictate the number of events that a particular area can host and even what type of event. For instance Lincoln County Nevada allows just 2 of their 4 wheel permits but unlimited bike permits. Then time of year is also managed in addition to number of permits to not interfere with tortoise mating or some frog orgy. The party filing for the permit also has to ensure that all the conditions and resource inspections are paid for prior to an event. Areas like Primm / Jean are only reactivated by time of year for tortoise. Laughlin has zero restrictions other than the 120 degree heat since there is only one known Tortoise in the area. (Living that bachelor lifestyle) -

suffice to say there is no one size fits all answer. This knowledge and experience that both BITD has along with the newly formed Legacy Racing have is what helps them determine their events.

Goober

Reaction
So individual BLM offices have use plans that typically dictate the number of events that a particular area can host and even what type of event. For instance Lincoln County Nevada allows just 2 of their 4 wheel permits but unlimited bike permits. Then time of year is also managed in addition to number of permits to not interfere with tortoise mating or some frog orgy. The party filing for the permit also has to ensure that all the conditions and resource inspections are paid for prior to an event. Areas like Primm / Jean are only reactivated by time of year for tortoise. Laughlin has zero restrictions other than the 120 degree heat since there is only one known Tortoise in the area. (Living that bachelor lifestyle) -

suffice to say there is no one size fits all answer. This knowledge and experience that both BITD has along with the newly formed Legacy Racing have is what helps them determine their events.
If multiple people put in for permits how does the Blm determine who gets them?

harleys dad

Reaction
I have to ask what makes Score these days or BITD the premier orgs? Score has such tiny entries to me its far from a premiere org or everyone would be flocking to them which they use to a long time ago. With out TT whats left? Just because a bunch of wealthy hobbyist in one class do their hobby there does not make it a premier org,. Is that what a premier org is based on? with the hi entry fee and low class count it sounds like a exclusive club to me. I have not been to a king event but I think he is writing the book on being a premier org

NIKAL

Reaction
I have to ask what makes Score these days or BITD the premier orgs? Score has such tiny entries to me its far from a premiere org or everyone would be flocking to them which they use to a long time ago. With out TT whats left? Just because a bunch of wealthy hobbyist in one class do their hobby there does not make it a premier org,. Is that what a premier org is based on? with the hi entry fee and low class count it sounds like a exclusive club to me. I have not been to a king event but I think he is writing the book on being a premier org
Dave, Being that Score has the Legendary Baja 1000 & Baja 500 makes it a premier series. If they only had those two races, they would still be a premier series. Besides TT’s you have a very large UTV classes. The UTV has replaced the limited VW classes. When you were racing Score the only other series was HDRA which at one point both series worked together. So because if this you only had one place to race, making all the classes large. Having so many Org’s like Snore, More, Code, etc.. has watered down the car counts, but also gives the racers more choices.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Dave- Please define tiny entrees. Score doesn't have tiny entrees. Tiny would be the 3 car entrees that showed up for the Cal City race Lou did years ago. Or the first MORE race that only had, if I remember right, 13 entrees. Other than the 2 shortcourse races SNORE does, what other race pulls 350 plus entrees like the old days? Any promoter.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
If multiple people put in for permits how does the Blm determine who gets them?
It varies a little bit by district but for the most part the existing group that holds the permit will get first choice. If it is a new event for either org usually first come first choice.

to some extent, some of the orgs work together to make sure they don’t put the same weekend How’s for the same type events. But there truly are only so many weekends you can fit everything in. You have short course and things like that effect desert raving dates. You have supercross or national events that effect bike dates. It’s lots of fun.

I’m currently looking at just under 60 days for 2021 for my team just in “large scale” desert races. I haven’t gotten our MRAN dates, our sand drag dates or our other events yet. We are going to be busy!

Frank13

Reaction
The big money teams with big money sponsors are what have determined the premier racing organizations. Being able to pull those sponsors into an event increasing that events media following is all that matters today.

NIKAL

Reaction
The big money teams with big money sponsors are what have determined the premier racing organizations. Being able to pull those sponsors into an event increasing that events media following is all that matters today.
For the state side races, you are correct its all about sponsorship and media hype making it Premier. Two perfect examples of that is the Mint 400 and the KOTH TT race. The Mint is all hype, marketing and sponsorship. The corse is nothing more then any other Nevada 300-400 mile desert race in the same place two other Orgs race on.

What Dave Cole has built with KOTH is premier no doubt about it. But the TT race itself brings in the racers because of the big prize money. Even with the big prize money, less then half of the invited racers showed up this year. I think they had 15 trucks race for the biggest prize money in the sport?

The Baja 1000 & 500 are legendary because of the name, history and location. If there was no title sponsor, no prize money (which there isn’t!) Baja would still be the biggest, baddest races in our sport. Nothing BITD, Snore, Martieli’s, KOTH or this new Legacy series do will rival the two Grand Daddy’s of our sport.

You will never see Nevada Desert Champion stamped on the side of the BFG tire like you see Baja Champion.

Rcamp99

Reaction
Dave- Please define tiny entrees. Score doesn't have tiny entrees. Tiny would be the 3 car entrees that showed up for the Cal City race Lou did years ago. Or the first MORE race that only had, if I remember right, 13 entrees. Other than the 2 shortcourse races SNORE does, what other race pulls 350 plus entrees like the old days? Any promoter.
How many entries did v2r have? What about ss300?

cjohnson

Reaction
SCORE because the vast majority of people have never heard of any off-road race other than the Baja 1000. Yes, it's an exclusive club. With many barriers to entry. Not just cost. It keeps out the riff-raff. It is the top tier of off-road racing in North America.

BITD because they have built a solid reputation of having a good racing series over many years. This applies to SCORE as well.