Don't laugh...E150 power options...any?

westco

Reaction
Hey guys,
I just bought a 1996 E150 Chateau 8 passenger van...one elderly owner with 100k...extremely clean..with all the paperwork since new...I also have the original window sticker...van has the 5.8 with 3.55 gears and a limited slip...I will be using it to tow our Toy Hauler and was wondering if anybody has used any programmers or chips for more power.

Thanks
JP

06dak287

Reaction
im sure it shares the same controls as other 5.8's like the broncos. i would search around for some bronco tuners and see if they can cross over to yours.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Bronco and F150's of the same year will cross over parts wise. Re-gearing would be the first thing on the list. With an E4OD transmission you have a fairly tall OD. You can get away with a lot deeper gears and still have good freeway cruising ability's.

philofab

Powered by Optima
Reaction
Headers and removing the factory air intake mufflers with a drop in K&N does wonders for these vans. We did a Magnaflow muffler on our shop van and it helped too. X2 on gears!

westco

Reaction
Headers and removing the factory air intake mufflers with a drop in K&N does wonders for these vans. We did a Magnaflow muffler on our shop van and it helped too. X2 on gears!
Would you just leave the airbox without the intake mufflers?

westco

Reaction
WOW!!! I just pulled it off and what a significant difference it made....not that I will be doing this but...it spun my tires in 1st and smoked them in reverse. Climbed the grade up my road with a lot less effort...just pulls a lot better overall...we'll see how it affects my mileage, I guess it should improve.

manicmechanic

Reaction
WOW!!! I just pulled it off and what a significant difference it made....not that I will be doing this but...it spun my tires in 1st and smoked them in reverse. Climbed the grade up my road with a lot less effort...just pulls a lot better overall...we'll see how it affects my mileage, I guess it should improve.
I have been told that the injection is aiming at adding only enough fuel to burn the air "02" so if you put in more air then your gonna hafta put in more fuel. Though I do hope your mileage improves.

westco

Reaction
I have been told that the injection is aiming at adding only enough fuel to burn the air "02" so if you put in more air then your gonna hafta put in more fuel. Though I do hope your mileage improves.
I guess your right...it gave me a code P0174 "running lean bank 2"...how do i go about adding more fuel for the increase in air.

roser

Reaction
I guess your right...it gave me a code P0174 "running lean bank 2"...how do i go about adding more fuel for the increase in air.
You may have unmetered air entering through the PVC system or restricted injector(s) on that bank. Maybe an intake gasket leak.
You might even try to reset keep alive memory and allow the MAF/Baro to update with a few sustained, heavy accelerations.

westco

Reaction
You may have unmetered air entering through the PVC system or restricted injector(s) on that bank. Maybe an intake gasket leak.
You might even try to reset keep alive memory and allow the MAF/Baro to update with a few sustained, heavy accelerations.
So the removal of the intake muffler/snorkel may not be the cause of the code?...I erased the code...without disconnecting the batt and drove it hard to see if it came back..it has not

roser

Reaction
So the removal of the intake muffler/snorkel may not be the cause of the code?...I erased the code...without disconnecting the batt and drove it hard to see if it came back..it has not
If the intake snorkle mod was the cause, I would expect to see both banks lean with codes P0171 and P0174.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Those have a mass air flow system, they are pretty flexable but it may take a while to adapt to the new equipment.

If it were the older speed density set-up you would have issues.............

westco

Reaction
Those have a mass air flow system, they are pretty flexable but it may take a while to adapt to the new equipment.

If it were the older speed density set-up you would have issues.............
That's what my understanding was...when i pulled our trailer up the grade from Rincon to Valley Center, which is a steep climb the first time was at about 25mph WOT...this weekend it cruised up the same grade at 35 at about 3/4 throttle...big improvement...I guess we'll see if it adapts.

manicmechanic

Reaction
There is some power on the table with air intake. An example that I remember was asking a chrysler engineer why the dakota 5.2 was rated around 30 horses more than the grand cherokee 5.2. Hood clearence! smaller snorkell, the only difference.

Baja Fool

Reaction
For a programmer try this: http://www.summitracing.com/search/year/1996/make/FORD/model/E-150-ECONOLINE/Department/Ignitions-Electrical/Section/Computers-Chips-Programmers/Part-Type/Computer-Chips-Modules/?Ns=Rank%7cAsc

It plugs right into the ECU....if you've pulled of a number of smog pieces, it may not load, from my experience. Sensors not talking back to ECU....

Then you may have to go with the chip: http://www.jegs.com/i/JET/561/89611/10002/-1

Good luck

westco

Reaction
Thanks Bajafool,
Neither one of the links work and I cut and pasted....said did not match any documents...what was your experience from either one of these?