• Forum membership has its advantages....

don't laugh, it works

dnic

don\'t laugh, it works

I have seen several post where people have mentioned purchasing benders. I am also looking to do this. However I usually have more time than money. That is how I came up with this poor mans bender.
It won't go past 90 degrees and its ugly, but it works. I have a total of $35 bucks into it. If anyone wants to make one I can email a parts list.

Attachments

Stan

Re: don\'t laugh, it works

Go ahead and send me the parts list to [email protected]. I'm bored and need something exciting to do this summer. Thanks.

"I love donuts. My arse is bigger because of them; but I'm not a Five-O."

Klaus

Administrator

Why not share the parts list and some more 411 on how to build it with everyone by posting it right here ?

It looks funny, but I guess whatever works...works.

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -

Is it possible to get different degrees of bend with it?

Shaun

dnic

Here are a few sketches for those interested. You can tell that I am not an artist. The frame is just some scrap that I had lying around. If you had to purchase some steel for the project, you could probably get used stuff for about 25 cents a pound. The bottle jack cost me $16 bucks at wal-mart. I bought a 4-ton jack, but you might want to use an 8. The 4 works fine but the piston is kind of short. Because of this I have to reposition it 2 times to make a 90-degree bend. Cutting a rigid electrical 90 in half makes the shoe. Conduit is measured by the inside diameter, so this fits pretty well. You can put some tubing inside the shoe and hammer on the sides if you need it to be tighter. Once you have the fit you desire, weld some bracing on the sides and across the top of the 90.I have only tried this with 1 ½” 095 tubing. But I am sure it will work with all sizes. If you want to see more bends that I have made. Go to this link http://home.earthlink.net/~malonex3/</A>
I threw this thing together in a couple of hours. I know someone can make it better. Post some pictures if you try.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stan

I've printed everything out and should hopefully start on it this weekend.

"I love donuts. My arse is bigger because of them; but I'm not a Five-O."