DOR only “winner” or nah?

EasyE

RDC Crypto
I know I’m crazy for asking and was genuinely interested in what people who have raced think.. and I’m asking for me from my own experience this weekend..

offroadracer516

RDC Crypto
Website
www.race-dezert.com
I know I’m crazy for asking and was genuinely interested in what people who have raced think.. and I’m asking for me from my own experience this weekend..
Yes Luke won the baja 1000. But Rob was driver of record. They both won it. Massive team effort to do well at this event.

EasyE

RDC Crypto
Copy. We won too, I chased, drove my miles.. like i said, random question just something I wondered how some people looked at it. 😂

jon coleman

RDC Crypto
its one of the few actual motorsport ' team ' wins, motorsport started with names of driver& a car manufacturer( and a ride along mechanic/ oiler). Sorta like hockey Stanley cup, the team captain is the leader( dor) but its a team win , all the way down the line they can all claim the win

jon coleman

RDC Crypto
yes, rDc is theee ' go to' for crisp, cleeen , CLEAR cut no bullshyt answers, ( its an open forum/ Big peanut gallery thing

Chas Moore

RDC Crypto
Website
battlebornoffroad.net
The team wins. Only time it shouldnt count is if the DOR isnt starting or finishing the race. I seem to remember some SCORE races back in 14-15 that Rob mac earned points at and he wasnt even within 500 miles of the race.

Crusty Shellback

RDC Crypto
Luke let Rob be DOR so he would get the points and possible win the season championship, which he did.
But it was a team effort. Luke now has 2 in a row. We will have to wait till next years 1000 to see if he becomes #3 for 3 peat Baja 1000 winner. Larry Ragland was the first. Rob Mac was the 2nd. Will Luke be the 3rd?

jon coleman

RDC Crypto
And Thats the challenge of desert racing, ^,the driver has to make the team feel like they Are part of the deal, from the top prep/ chase guy down to the new kid sweeping floors& humping tires, everyone on the team feels that win on a true winning team, its not about money, its a team thing

mxben

Solutions
RDC Crypto
I drove for 12 hours, helped my next driving team get in the car, drove the chase truck hundreds of miles, went to the next two pits and made damn sure they went perfect, I helped win the race.

My chase guys drove dangerous roads all night and day to make sure we had help, even my grandpa at home kept on the tracker and sat phone when we couldn't get service. The team won! All 8 of us.

Ethan will get the spot in the record books but everyone on the team played a part and we are forever grateful for it. Team Hagle got the W!

E.Hagle

RDC Crypto
This sport would have fallen to pieces many moons ago if the drivers were arrogant d-bags who didn't include their team in the win.

Every finish line interview I've had to do so far is really tough. Your mind is rattled to pieces and yet you have to remember every single person possible. From the guys who come by the garage to help out but can't swing a week in Baja, to mom at home, everyone down their who makes the sacrifice, it's tough and I always worry I'm going to leave someone out unintentionally. Grandpa never gets forgotten, as well as BFG. Those two are easy.

We have a guy named Gary Johnson who many of you may know, he gets on a flight from Colorado to come chase us around with my dad. Gary is the one who will stay up when everyone else goes to bed and talk strategy, mental strength, or anything going on in life in general. His wealth of knowledge and dedication is huge. I can guarantee you Gary feels like a winner after the 1000 and he never even had to touch a steering wheel. And I have forgotten on more than one occasion to include him in the podium speech. oops. Sorry Gary.

JDDurfey

RDC Crypto
I was the crew chief/chase truck driver/logistics guy for a bike team that won the Class 30 championship in 03. I ended up on the bike for a few miles during the 1000 because we had light failure and had to finish the next morning after being awake and chasing for more than 24 hours. Even though I only had a few miles on the bike, the hours I spent helping with everything behind the scenes made me feel like the championship was just as much mine as the guys who rode the whole season.

I regret not ordering a trophy for my shelf, that is one that I would have been very proud to display.

A win in Baja is a win for everyone involved. When I first went to Baja I longed to be recognized and introduced as the "mechanic" or whatever roll I had that race. But after my first trip I knocked that crap off because I realized everyone down there helping a team was in the same situation as I was. If I wanted the "glory" I needed to be behind the handlebars or steering wheel. It is nice to be recognized for your contribution, but I understood that I was just one person of many that helped make a successful team.

Later, when I did knock out major miles during races I was always riding the roughest or most difficult sections because I was the best or most consistent rider on the team I rode on. At that point I didn't care if my team thanked me or not, I was just happy to be in Baja doing what I loved.