Double Cab Tundra

trfytoy

Reaction
2005 Tundra

Camburg race kit
SUA Deavers
Allied Motorsports cage
Boneyard bumper

Our list while truck is at JSI. Shooting for the night race.

1- Fix timing issue
in progress

2- Install Camburg Race Kit (10” or 12” shocks? Bumps needed)
in progress

3- Over engine brace

4- Finish mounting batteries in rear
in progress

5- Remove bed
DONE

6- Add spare tire mounts

7- 3.0 bypasses for rear?
(will be using jsi bought 3.0)

9- Fuel cell (maybe run a 32gal and 22gal?)
- jazz or safe cell

9- Plumbing and fuel pumps and filters for cell

10- Window nets

11- Secondary door latch

12- Fire extinguishers

13- Install gears

14- 5/8" studs in rearend and JSI lugnuts.

Pics before it came to the shop.

Now the updates:

trfytoy

Reaction
[video=youtube;BMi6A5WLhIQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMi6A5WLhIQ&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Why were the cylinder heads removed?

x2! Hopefully they took out the stock sh i t rods and put some better ones in along with some forged pistons.

trfytoy

Reaction
The owner over-heated the engine and blew a head gasket, took it to a not-so-reputable shop who then hacked it back together. Needless to say, cylinder 3 was dumping coolant into the combustion chamber. Pulled the heads off and dropped off at machine shop who told me the heads were previously belt sanded and he had to take .01 off to get them square/perpendicular again, found out timing was off, and they used so much silicone that they blocked off the vvt-i oil passages so that wasnt working either.

Did not do any internal work, just enough to make it reliable again like a toyota should be.

Dezertpilot

Reaction
What size are those front shocks? Couldnt have put bigger, longer ones in their? Or is he doing this to save $$?

trfytoy

Reaction
Those are 10's, 12" stroke shocks will pull the max amount of travel but because of our time frame we are re-using the 10's and same upper mounts. Its bumped and strapped at 17.5"

California MiniTruck

Reaction
The owner over-heated the engine and blew a head gasket, took it to a not-so-reputable shop who then hacked it back together. Needless to say, cylinder 3 was dumping coolant into the combustion chamber. Pulled the heads off and dropped off at machine shop who told me the heads were previously belt sanded and he had to take .01 off to get them square/perpendicular again, found out timing was off, and they used so much silicone that they blocked off the vvt-i oil passages so that wasnt working either.

Did not do any internal work, just enough to make it reliable again like a toyota should be.

WOW, what a bunch of tard's! They really did try and piece that thing back together cheep! Good thing for the customer you know what your doing. Im sure that the machine shop must have cost a pretty penny? You can pick up those motors pretty cheep used, I know I sell them for about $500 to $600 for a complete motor because those dam things are so bullet proof they never sell! I had one sitting here for 5 years before I finally got rid of it! Keep us junk yards in mind:D

trfytoy

Reaction
WOW, what a bunch of tard's! They really did try and piece that thing back together cheep! Good thing for the customer you know what your doing. Im sure that the machine shop must have cost a pretty penny? You can pick up those motors pretty cheep used, I know I sell them for about $500 to $600 for a complete motor because those dam things are so bullet proof they never sell! I had one sitting here for 5 years before I finally got rid of it! Keep us junk yards in mind:D

Machine cost was $100. Overall hes into the head job $845 with new head bolts and gasket set. He was ready to drop another engine in, but the bottom end has 50,020 miles on it and I couldnt stand to see it rot in the junk yard. Good to know your prices as we looked around and could not find a engine for less than $1500. We will be needing a 2wd trans and ECU here shorty, ill give you guys a call.

Shocks re-valved, filled with oil and installed. Tomorrow, mounting cell.

Tom_Willis

Reaction
You can pick up those motors pretty cheep used, I know I sell them for about $500 to $600 for a complete motor because those dam things are so bullet proof they never sell! I had one sitting here for 5 years before I finally got rid of it! Keep us junk yards in mind:D

Goood to know because I've got an '05 4wd crewcab. Would you happen to know if that motor would fit into an '01 Tacoma?

California MiniTruck

Reaction
Well what do you mean by "fit"? You can make any thing fit in your Tacoma if you really wanted to:D, as for direct bolt in i'm sure there will be some mods that have to be done because the 3.4l barely fits in there(pretty close to the fire wall and the rad). What motor are you running right now in it, because if you are running the 3.4 thats a pretty stout motor?

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Tom see if you can source a newer 5.7 drivetrain that would be bitchen! CalMini do you guys have the new Tundras in your yard?

Tom_Willis

Reaction
Well what do you mean by "fit"? You can make any thing fit in your Tacoma if you really wanted to:D, as for direct bolt in i'm sure there will be some mods that have to be done because the 3.4l barely fits in there(pretty close to the fire wall and the rad). What motor are you running right now in it, because if you are running the 3.4 thats a pretty stout motor?

It's a 3.4/auto with 125k on it. Zero problems, (that's why we buy toyotas in the first place) but with another 250-300 lbs of tubing/fuel/tools/parts/myself, turning 35"s with 4.88's it's a dog. The o'drive is usually off anyway.

Option 1 would be add a gen 2 supercharger; those are $2500 new, option 2 is wait 'till either the trans or motor starts to go and rework the sheetmetal, then fit a low-mileage 4.7 and a 5-speed manual. A 5.7 in an '01 Tacoma? If the current 4.0 Tacoma motor won't fit the 5.7 Tundra is probably a nightmare to install.

trfytoy

Reaction
It's a 3.4/auto with 125k on it. Zero problems, (that's why we buy toyotas in the first place) but with another 250-300 lbs of tubing/fuel/tools/parts/myself, turning 35"s with 4.88's it's a dog. The o'drive is usually off anyway.

Option 1 would be add a gen 2 supercharger; those are $2500 new, option 2 is wait 'till either the trans or motor starts to go and rework the sheetmetal, then fit a low-mileage 4.7 and a 5-speed manual. A 5.7 in an '01 Tacoma? If the current 4.0 Tacoma motor won't fit the 5.7 Tundra is probably a nightmare to install.

Dan Vance got a 4.0 shoved in his toyota pickup... it can be done in a taco. Good luck finding a 5 speed for a 4.7 under 3 grand.

California MiniTruck

Reaction
Yea I was talking to Dan about his change over actually, just went to the Parris race with him not to long ago. The 4.0 is a good motor also but he is running the x-runner 6spd trans and that thing keeps getting destroyed. I think he is on his 3rd or 4th now. Toyota does not make a 5spd 2wd trans for the 03-06 5.7L. I have seen a 07 Tundra 5.7L single cab short bed 4WD with a 5spd trans but that was a special order from Toyota:D I would highly recommend a 4.7L change over for any one who wants a nice small RELIABLE V8 change over. The market is so flooded with these motors because they never ever break! I know people that have over 10 of these motors on their lots because they cant GIVE them away! Only problem is is that the transmissions are a lil hard to come by because people are putting 500k on these drive trains and thats the only thing going out. Hope this helps a lil:D:D:D