double shear

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
i am going to be having some 7075 aluminum tie rods made at work in a few days and was wondering if im gonna have trouble if i dont double shear the rod ends on the spindle and for that matter at the center link. Cause ill be using the stock cast spindle and stock center link if i do have to double shear the rod ends i might as well not and keep the stock stuff.

Gregg

Crashbig

Reaction
I ran the same setup for two years on my Nissan and had no problems with it but now that I'm rebuilding the truck and a little wiser I'm going to double shear them, its a little extra insurance, and less to worry about knowing that its done.

Pete

JasonHutter

Reaction
I would put them in double sheer. You can take a little extra time do some gusseting of the steering knuckle at the same time. I hit about a 3 foot diameter rock at about 70mph at our last race and put a 3 inch long crack in the gussets on our steering knuckle. If the tie rod ends weren't in double sheer and the steering knuckle wasn't gusseted, I wouldn't have made it to the finish line without replacing a lot of things.

Jason

I know this is a Toyota, but I would think it is close to what you have. Those are mig welds on the cast knuckles and it has worked great so far.

Brice

Reaction
all i can say is BLING BLING

DANKFAB

Reaction
I may sound like am idiot for not knowing this term, but is double shear when the pivot(heim) has a place to slide into so the bolt can pinch the sphereical bearing in the heim and keep unwanted movement, or premature breakage? Like how the 2 tabs on a shock mount keep the shock aligned by pinching the heim, instead of having a shock boss(VW style) where one side is held in while the other relys on the nut to keep it on? a lot of stock shocks come mounted in this fashion. Am I making sense here???

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
in so few words double shear means it has a tab on top and bottom ...the "double" comes from the surface area under stress being doubled and therefore the resultant stress is halved...which is a good thing

ntsqd

Reaction
The hard part is to make both tabs actually structural. Just having a tab there, that's more or less 'flying' in space, isn't going to add much strength to the design. There's Dune machine being built right now by a guy who should know better, with a poorly executed double shear outboard SRE tie rod mount. Wish I could find the pic link.
A good design would be stabbing an SRE into the side of a well gusseted box tube steering arm.
A bad design would be adding a piece of 1" strap vertically to a stock steering arm on the far side of the hole, and then bending it over to be flat on top of the SRE's ball. Not much, if any, strength added in the latter example.

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction
I think this would be a good example of good use of the tabs. The upper wraps around to the face ,and lower breaks down to gusset itself.

Attachments

DANKFAB

Reaction
I know this post has been dead for a while, but I just got back from Ocotillo, after a night and morning of offroading, and jumping, my driver side steering arm broke clean off! Passenger side was cracked as well, and it was double shear, but no gusseting where it needed it. I had a friend of a friend build the arms, so hes gonna fix it, as this is the 1st trip to the dezert and shouldn't have to be towed home after a total of 4 hours offroad!! heres a pic of the devastating leap!

Attachments

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Post some pics of the breakage. You sure it wasent binding the steering on something and thats why it broke? It would take a lot to break the part on the spindle especially if it was double sheered!

DANKFAB

Reaction
I built evrything but the arms and spindles. Not my fab that broke. The rest of the truck handled eveything great, Poleline was a breeze, Devils slide was good too(I just need a motor for that needed HP)
The reason it snapped clean off is because it was not gusseted. it was just slapped on the side of the spindle and welded in. all of the weld broke off with the steering arm, it did not penetrate good enough. Ha dit been gusseted it wouldn't have snapped. The other side is even cracked on top and bottom! Obviously it has to be because it wasn't braced good enough.

Attachments

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Looks like you have way to much rebound in the rear also. Looks like its not dropping at all!