• Forum membership has its advantages....

Doubt about LOORRS and LucasOilTV

stephenrjking

From talking with friends who are racers in the sportsman division, Lucas ran the races way better last year than USAC did this year. USAC is too inconsistent with calls and do not seem to know how to handle the races properly.
I'm not sure who is at fault for this, but at no time in the Midwest this season did anyone ever consistently know how many laps were being raced or how many were left. It was a problem on livestreams and at the track; not infrequently the announcers were just guessing about when the white flag would come out (most noticeable at ERX), and even on the Red Bull broadcast the lap counter bore little resemblance to what was actually occurring in the race.

The fact that this was an issue for different tracks, different announcers, and different broadcasts suggests that whatever was doing the timing and scoring was not functioning well.

acers

If Lucas leaves they take with them any chance of a combined race and that would suck. Hopefully it gets worked out. The last thing I want is someone else taking over the midwest and Lucas the west.

cjmay13

Agree with this. Pro4 can go either way with project or DOTs. Pro-Lite going back to 4 bangers is completely ridiculous when you consider the cost involved with that. The v6 idea is about as bad as the 4 banger.
From talking with friends who are racers in the sportsman division, Lucas ran the races way better last year than USAC did this year. USAC is too inconsistent with calls and do not seem to know how to handle the races properly. Did anyone see they started the Pro 4's with a Pro 2 dead on the front straight in the Cup race?? Maybe thats on Crandon and not USAC, but scary as hell. As far as rules, they really need to just be the same across the board for this to work.

Pro4: Same as they are, but possibly reign in some of the cost in certain areas, IDK. Also look at testing a move to DOT tires. Ross Hoek has been running them for a couple years, but I would like to see faster trucks run them like Leduc, Menzies, Greaves etc. to know if it could work.

Pro2: 410 Motor and DOT tires across the both series. Let the advantage come from who wants to spend on the EFI vs Carb and DRIVING.

Pro Lite: LOORS LS3 motor across both series. One set price, everyone has the same set up. Let it come down to the drivers. 4 cylinders need to be modified heavily to get the speeds back and are unreliable. V6 motors would make more power, but there arent any good options, and again RELIABILITY. Those Nissan V6 motors are junk. I think the chassis rules are all the same now too between the two but that was a big issue before too. This class is pretty good as is, but There was a clear difference compared to the LS motor trucks and the others with older engine packages.

Joxracing

Leave P4 unlimited. I think there needs to be an unlimited class where companies / manufactures and builders have full reign to get wild. That’s what breeds innovation in all other aspects of racing.

P2 is dialed. the DOT and 410 is a great package. The fuel injection cost for some teams kinda sucks but I believe they can work through that. Sounds like some drivers are pushing the gray areas in other aspects of the rule book and that could be tightened up as well and we’ll have a great class on our hands.

Pro Lite. ohhhhhh pro lite. The class that’s a sad shell of it’s former self here in the midwest. Going back to anything but a V8 would be absolutely ridiculous. The LS3 is cool but the cost and the fact you have to buy motors from the Lucas along with the fuel injection system is a little bonkers. The start up cost for that set up is expensive. I have engine package ideas for this class but they are pipe dreams since everyone wants to make a “spec this spec that” class. I feel sometimes you need to let people build stuff on their own instead of just buying things from a certain list of builders or the series. That’s where prices get jacked up.

As far as USAC goes, in my opinion i’ve never seen more of a sht show. This year or the previous years with TORC. Rude people, unnecessary fee’s that they try cramming down our throats, terrible racing calls etc. Lucas ran an amazing ship last season and i can tell you every sportsman racer was bummed to hear of their return.

My only complaint about this past weekend in crandon was the fact that they tried to sneak a full friday sportsman race cancellation so the pros could practice. 9 or so classes of Sportsman racers that show up every year to support these tracks and race with their families and we were going to get shoved down to one race on saturday with no entry fee reimbursement. Luckily someone caught wind friday night and we were able to get our class reps to meet and negotiate a 6 lap shoot out for all classes with enough time before the big kid rock concert. To me that’s unacceptable and i believe if it didn’t get resolved a lot of racers weren’t going to show up next year.

havahockey

Flipper
From talking with friends who are racers in the sportsman division, Lucas ran the races way better last year than USAC did this year. USAC is too inconsistent with calls and do not seem to know how to handle the races properly. Did anyone see they started the Pro 4's with a Pro 2 dead on the front straight in the Cup race?? Maybe thats on Crandon and not USAC, but scary as hell. As far as rules, they really need to just be the same across the board for this to work.
I heard this from a few people as well.

CYS Motorsports

I agree with Corry. Last year with Lucas+staff running the show, it was top notch. 2019 was a step backwards in my opinion. Unfortunately Lucas stated it was not viable to cover the West Coast and the Midwest for 2019, so while I don't like the decision to bring back USAC, I understand why it was made.

The attempt to cancel all the sportsman for Friday was a joke. Trying to cater to 15% of the racers is not a good business decision in my opinion.

afortune46

USAC isn't necessarily the problem - when Kyle Robbins and Jason Smith ran the TORC series we didn't have the **** shows we had this past weekend. When the Loors Series director (Bill Smith) is on hand and these incidents happen it to me falls on people who either 1. don't care or 2. are incompetent and shouldn't be in the position they are in.

At Fall Crandon You had a race director that has never raced anything in his life, someone helping him that knows NOTHING about offroad other then the few events they have attended. When you cannot re-rack on a caution the correct way - you either don't care.. or you're incompetent. This was not an isolated incident as it happened in multiple classes throughout the weekend. For us - they called a caution on 5 and say its full course "yellow now caution" and people get out of order , cross the line to make it lap 6 and you re-rack the field with people out of order vs how they were on lap 5's completion. When the tracks are paying 100+k for lucas to be running the show , and the racers are paying what they are paying for entry, insurance etc - you should not have someone that openly doesn't care about a class running a race series, and you should not have incompetent people running races.

Lucas needs to decide if they want to have a TV show or a race series.. Cutting laps to 6 laps to fall into a tv slot is pissing on your racers (also ran 12-14 lap races when TORC had the series - reduced down only when they were bad accidents or other races ran long due to conditions beyond control). They'd also have you qualify regardless to get the field that doesn't belong in the "Pro class" out of the Pro class. It pisses people off yes, but they also don't waste our race time or laps with their inability to wheel a race car.

Jimmy8

In all fairness to Lucas (And keep in mind I work for both LOORRS and the Midwest Tracks), Lucas had zero to do with anything TV or livestream related in the Midwest this year. Anything in regards to Lucas making adjustments to make TV better at the racers expense couldn't be further from the truth, as they had zero stake in the media in the Midwest in 2019.

450grl

USAC isn't necessarily the problem - when Kyle Robbins and Jason Smith ran the TORC series we didn't have the **** shows we had this past weekend. When the Loors Series director (Bill Smith) is on hand and these incidents happen it to me falls on people who either 1. don't care or 2. are incompetent and shouldn't be in the position they are in.

At Fall Crandon You had a race director that has never raced anything in his life, someone helping him that knows NOTHING about offroad other then the few events they have attended. When you cannot re-rack on a caution the correct way - you either don't care.. or you're incompetent. This was not an isolated incident as it happened in multiple classes throughout the weekend. For us - they called a caution on 5 and say its full course "yellow now caution" and people get out of order , cross the line to make it lap 6 and you re-rack the field with people out of order vs how they were on lap 5's completion. When the tracks are paying 100+k for lucas to be running the show , and the racers are paying what they are paying for entry, insurance etc - you should not have someone that openly doesn't care about a class running a race series, and you should not have incompetent people running races.

Lucas needs to decide if they want to have a TV show or a race series.. Cutting laps to 6 laps to fall into a tv slot is pissing on your racers (also ran 12-14 lap races when TORC had the series - reduced down only when they were bad accidents or other races ran long due to conditions beyond control). They'd also have you qualify regardless to get the field that doesn't belong in the "Pro class" out of the Pro class. It pisses people off yes, but they also don't waste our race time or laps with their inability to wheel a race car.
I'm going to jump in here and say that Bill Smith has been around short-course racing for a LONG time, and has been involved on the racer side of it a LOT, which is why I actually like him in the position he is in and appreciate that he has been on OUR side of the fence for many years. The fact that he was in Crandon probably had more to do with him seeing how things were going and observing and much less of him having a hand in directing or facilitating anything. And he does care - probably more than he would like to. From what I understand, Crandon itself was pushing the TV scheduling, etc....huge deal with Red Bull TV, etc. The decisions that were made at Crandon were not in the style of Lucas decisions.....def not the way Lucas runs a program. Also, from having raced TORC I don't feel it's necessarily the way TORC would have run things either. The feeling I got (and this is literally just my gut feeling) was that USAC was running the show/calling the shots based on the information they were being fed from Crandon - but mostly they were a ship without a captain. Crandon is sort of it's own entity/event - the responsibilities there don't necessarily fall on one set of shoulders. I felt they were overwhelmed by the sheer number of racers (especially in the UTV classes) and just wanted to get the weekend over with and the season over with. I am sure everyone did the best they could with what they were given, but they weren't given enough.....and there were a LOT of questionable decisions made throughout the weekend.

ltr450rider

At what point should there be separate weekends for pro races and sportsman races?

It sounds to me like there was too much to do in too little time. I would say it's probably time to have the sportsman classes run on a different weekend, same as they do out west with the LOORRS regional events. Leave the big "National" weekends to the pro classes and have some breathing room and time to let everyone get their laps in, without having to cut other races laps down.

Pro4orNothing

At what point should there be separate weekends for pro races and sportsman races?

It sounds to me like there was too much to do in too little time. I would say it's probably time to have the sportsman classes run on a different weekend, same as they do out west with the LOORRS regional events. Leave the big "National" weekends to the pro classes and have some breathing room and time to let everyone get their laps in, without having to cut other races laps down.
While it would make sense, particularly on World Cup weekend, that's going to be a hard sell up here and I think it'd have some unintended consequences...

Sportsman racers/family/friends are the backbone of the Midwest and if you split them off, then you might put at risk losing a part of your loyal customer base. If you open Crandon up for a weekend of just Sportsman racing, does what they make on entries, camping, concessions, etc cover their costs and make it more profitable for them? And do all those friends/family still go to the Pro weekends?

And likewise, would you still pull in enough entries from the pros to fill up the pits? World Cup weekend, possibly, but the Spring race will look like a ghost town if you don't have the sportsman entries.

Plus, I think the average Crandon fan enjoys that there is ALWAYS something on track from 10:30 AM until anywhere between 5-6:30 PM. The first couple of years of the World Cup format were hard to sit through all the downtime and since then, they've at least brought in Ultra4 and had a couple of special races this fall to fill time/add value. It keeps people engaged and the flow of going from the slowest classes to the fastest builds up anticipation throughout the day.

From the standpoint of this average fan, I would think if you have the right people making the calls from the scoring/officiating booth who will try to do the right thing the best they can while not jeopardizing the on-track product, it's not as much of an issue. It seems like the "right people" weren't making those calls last week, so hopefully its a lesson learned for them or Crandon/the Midwest will get someone who can.

afortune46

In all fairness to Lucas (And keep in mind I work for both LOORRS and the Midwest Tracks), Lucas had zero to do with anything TV or livestream related in the Midwest this year. Anything in regards to Lucas making adjustments to make TV better at the racers expense couldn't be further from the truth, as they had zero stake in the media in the Midwest in 2019.
Literally while standing in the spotter tower over the speaker they said we are cutting the race to 6 laps to fit the tv schedule. Same thing happened last year when Greg was running the spotter tower - we have to cut your laps to fit into west coast time , what does that have to do with anything in the midwest?

I'm going to jump in here and say that Bill Smith has been around short-course racing for a LONG time, and has been involved on the racer side of it a LOT, which is why I actually like him in the position he is in and appreciate that he has been on OUR side of the fence for many years. The fact that he was in Crandon probably had more to do with him seeing how things were going and observing and much less of him having a hand in directing or facilitating anything. And he does care - probably more than he would like to. From what I understand, Crandon itself was pushing the TV scheduling, etc....huge deal with Red Bull TV, etc. The decisions that were made at Crandon were not in the style of Lucas decisions.....def not the way Lucas runs a program. Also, from having raced TORC I don't feel it's necessarily the way TORC would have run things either. The feeling I got (and this is literally just my gut feeling) was that USAC was running the show/calling the shots based on the information they were being fed from Crandon - but mostly they were a ship without a captain. Crandon is sort of it's own entity/event - the responsibilities there don't necessarily fall on one set of shoulders. I felt they were overwhelmed by the sheer number of racers (especially in the UTV classes) and just wanted to get the weekend over with and the season over with. I am sure everyone did the best they could with what they were given, but they weren't given enough.....and there were a LOT of questionable decisions made throughout the weekend.
So when I get told after we were put in the wrong position twice that "if you dont like it they didnt care and I could leave" (it cost us our position in the points battle) - thats an acceptable answer? Would you or Jason be ok with that type of response to losing position in that manner?

I would be glad to talk to Bill about anything related to this - but dont recieve call backs, unlike Greg or Richie did last year when I voiced my concerns - Greg even talked with me at Bark river when our laps were continously cut, they wouldnt re-align people and burn our race time up, and they were giving us 3 lap races. Even after we had talks about what needed to be done - they (lucas) still didnt qualify and cut racers to insure a full race time (were were taken out twice last year by an invert that put us behind someone that shouldn't have been in the field)

sb4pro

While it would make sense, particularly on World Cup weekend, that's going to be a hard sell up here and I think it'd have some unintended consequences...

Sportsman racers/family/friends are the backbone of the Midwest and if you split them off, then you might put at risk losing a part of your loyal customer base. If you open Crandon up for a weekend of just Sportsman racing, does what they make on entries, camping, concessions, etc cover their costs and make it more profitable for them? And do all those friends/family still go to the Pro weekends?

And likewise, would you still pull in enough entries from the pros to fill up the pits? World Cup weekend, possibly, but the Spring race will look like a ghost town if you don't have the sportsman entries.

Plus, I think the average Crandon fan enjoys that there is ALWAYS something on track from 10:30 AM until anywhere between 5-6:30 PM. The first couple of years of the World Cup format were hard to sit through all the downtime and since then, they've at least brought in Ultra4 and had a couple of special races this fall to fill time/add value. It keeps people engaged and the flow of going from the slowest classes to the fastest builds up anticipation throughout the day.

From the standpoint of this average fan, I would think if you have the right people making the calls from the scoring/officiating booth who will try to do the right thing the best they can while not jeopardizing the on-track product, it's not as much of an issue. It seems like the "right people" weren't making those calls last week, so hopefully its a lesson learned for them or Crandon/the Midwest will get someone who can.
I also don’t think we need USAC officials bad mouthing Crandon ( yes USAC guys eating at Culver’s in Rhinelander I heard you and you need to be more careful about who might be listening ) . If I had my phone with me at the time I would have taken your pics and outted you guys here . My point is how are we supposed to get the “ right people “ when the “ right people “ either don’t want to be or don’t care about being there .

Jimmy8

Since I can's quote things anymore on this website, here is my best.

Literally while standing in the spotter tower over the speaker they said we are cutting the race to 6 laps to fit the tv schedule. Same thing happened last year when Greg was running the spotter tower - we have to cut your laps to fit into west coast time , what does that have to do with anything in the midwest?

All I will say is that you couldn't be more off base and it's not worth the dissertation on short course and corporate politics to tell you why. Fact is it's a bummer anyones races got cut, but things happen and you try and fix it for the next year.

All that being said, what an amazing weekend for short course. Massive entires, massive crowds, amazing racing, and a great celebration of all things short course. Anyone who didn't go and is in here reading the negativity, please don't let the few outweigh the many. Tip of the cap to Crandon, Lucas, USAC, and Red Bull who all found a way to coexist and put on the biggest off-road short course race of all time. I was so fortunate to be a part of it.

afortune46

All I will say is that you couldn't be more off base and it's not worth the dissertation on short course and corporate politics to tell you why. Fact is it's a bummer anyones races got cut, but things happen and you try and fix it for the next year.

All that being said, what an amazing weekend for short course. Massive entires, massive crowds, amazing racing, and a great celebration of all things short course. Anyone who didn't go and is in here reading the negativity, please don't let the few outweigh the many. Tip of the cap to Crandon, Lucas, USAC, and Red Bull who all found a way to coexist and put on the biggest off-road short course race of all time. I was so fortunate to be a part of it.
Off base? I heard it, along with anyone standing next to Tom in the spotter tower at Crandon when it came over the speaker they have for one of the channels, and last year Greg said the same thing that we have to cut your laps down because we are running out of time. Politics or not , its not right that people put down the kind of money/Time they do to race then get cut short to fit into a broadcast schedule. - want to make a tv show, edit it for time after the fact; but give the racers their time to do what they are there to do. I know Crandon worked their asses off to get a live stream going which I'm thankful for, but cutting anything to fit TV is wrong. You're a race series first, tv second.

I have zero problem bringing this up with any of the race officials if they would call back/discuss it much like I did on Saturday when we were in the wrong order and they waved the green then told me "it is what it is" then followed with "if you go find Bill and bring it up to him he's going to ask you to leave and no come back". Even the Cheeks said it was ridiculous and that's why Miles pulled off on Saturday. I've talked with Greg (who I have the utmost respect for), I've talked with others about laps being cut and races being 6 or 5 lap races when they should double that.

Dismiss it all you want Jim , I spend my entire summer around short course midwest and west coast (I've worked to USAC to boot), then my entire winter around the national and regional snocross series as a race official. Racing has been what put money in my pocket since I was 18 years old and I wouldnt whine or throw shade on the internet if I didnt try to go to the correct channels first. Its easy to ignore phonecalls or emails , but a true professional (like Greg) will sit down and talk through things and not be a child about it vs hide at an event. I know for a fact in 2017 Jason Smith with USAC spent hours after races conclusions talking to racers explaining what and why calls were made, and did what any comptetition/race/series director should do.

Going back to race monitor/speed hive for pro stock UTV at the Crandon cup:
2017 - 12 laps slated world cup (cut at 24 racers) zero cautions was green from start to finish
2018 - 12 laps slated world cup (31 racers, no data on cautions) but we were green/white then checkers because Lucas couldn't get people in line correctly in a caution
2019 - 9 laps slated world cup (40 racers 2 laps in yellow - had to stop multiple times to get people in line during cautions)

ltr450rider

I figured this was going to be the common argument, and I have already prepared a retort...

While common thought is that the majority of tickets (camping and race tickets) are sold to family and friends of racers, particularly sportsman racers, I would bet that they are fans of the type of racing regardless and most would still make the time to attend the larger national events as fans, rather than just attending because someone they know is racing a sportsman class. So therefore, I don't believe that the track/promoters would be losing out on any ticket sales to the general public on those major national event weekends.

I would also say that if the track/promoters were to hold a smaller regional type event in between the major weekends, they would still make some money by selling event/camping tickets to the same family members and friends who are there to see their guy/girl race. It would not be a huge money making event like a national weekend, but it would not necessarily be a loss.

I would also go on to say that it would be good practice for the track crews and race directors to work out some of the kinks for the big races to prevent some of the issues that were seen during the 50th weekend.

Regarding the comment about racing from morning to night, it is my understanding that the pro racers only got a lap or 2 of practice in before qualifying the entire weekend due to weather on Thursday. Without having to run the sportsman races, those pro classes would have had more track time to work out the kinks before race time, so there would still be vehicles on track morning through night. I know the LOORRS races hold 3 short practice sessions for all classes the day before the main events and they are still fun to watch as you see vehicles start to handle better and work on faster lap times.

I thought the pro races were a bit hard to watch as many of the racers did not look comfortable with their set up and things were pretty well out of hand for the first few laps ( I believe one racer resorted to calling them "squids"). I believe we might have seen better pro class racing if these racers had the chance at a bit more track time to work out the kinks and get a little more comfortable for the main events.

sb4pro

I figured this was going to be the common argument, and I have already prepared a retort...

While common thought is that the majority of tickets (camping and race tickets) are sold to family and friends of racers, particularly sportsman racers, I would bet that they are fans of the type of racing regardless and most would still make the time to attend the larger national events as fans, rather than just attending because someone they know is racing a sportsman class. So therefore, I don't believe that the track/promoters would be losing out on any ticket sales to the general public on those major national event weekends.

I would also say that if the track/promoters were to hold a smaller regional type event in between the major weekends, they would still make some money by selling event/camping tickets to the same family members and friends who are there to see their guy/girl race. It would not be a huge money making event like a national weekend, but it would not necessarily be a loss.

I would also go on to say that it would be good practice for the track crews and race directors to work out some of the kinks for the big races to prevent some of the issues that were seen during the 50th weekend.

Regarding the comment about racing from morning to night, it is my understanding that the pro racers only got a lap or 2 of practice in before qualifying the entire weekend due to weather on Thursday. Without having to run the sportsman races, those pro classes would have had more track time to work out the kinks before race time, so there would still be vehicles on track morning through night. I know the LOORRS races hold 3 short practice sessions for all classes the day before the main events and they are still fun to watch as you see vehicles start to handle better and work on faster lap times.

I thought the pro races were a bit hard to watch as many of the racers did not look comfortable with their set up and things were pretty well out of hand for the first few laps ( I believe one racer resorted to calling them "squids"). I believe we might have seen better pro class racing if these racers had the chance at a bit more track time to work out the kinks and get a little more comfortable for the main events.
I gotta agree with you Corry I’m one of the fans that that go to Crandon for the RACING . It doesn’t matter if it’s SODA , TORC , LUCAS or whoever . Yes I’ve become friends with many of the racers ( and hope that includes you as well ) but I’d go to Crandon and all the rest of the tracks whether it was sportsman or pros . Crandon isn’t just a race it’s an experience . The people are always so friendly hell one year we went I sat mom down in front of one the lil diners on the parade route to take pics came back and she’s sitting on someone’s tailgate drinking strawberry daiquiris , laughing and talking with them like they’ve known each other for years . We also met a couple from Tomahawk who also have a place in Florida and have become good friends with them . We meet every year for dinner and always sit together at the races . So trust me the TRUE fans will ALWAYS show up . I think the two biggest snafus that threw everything out of wack as far as time constraints was the rain on Thursday and the concert stuff on Friday . Plus the fact it was the 50th so it brought more racers which in turn added to the need for more track time .

acers

Could not agree more, was fantastic weekend of racing and drivers I talked to loved it.