• Forum membership has its advantages....

Doubt about LOORRS and LucasOilTV

Joxracing

At what point should there be separate weekends for pro races and sportsman races?

It sounds to me like there was too much to do in too little time. I would say it's probably time to have the sportsman classes run on a different weekend, same as they do out west with the LOORRS regional events. Leave the big "National" weekends to the pro classes and have some breathing room and time to let everyone get their laps in, without having to cut other races laps down.

I think you misspelled UTV when you said sportsman...

I think a lot of people forget the show that the sportsmen bring. Look at all the midwest races besides fall crandon. Sportsman are the reason the pits don’t look like ghost towns. If you pulled the sportsman from pro weekends in the midwest you would cut your spectator count in half (at least) and alienate your core fans and racers. Back in the glory days of CORR i might say you’re right in that assumption but when one sportsman class has more drivers than all of the pro truck classes combined it’s a different story. Super Stock Truck puts on a better show than pro lite and pro 4 on a normal race weekend.
I think your time constraints are coming from the 2 Pro classes and 1 sportsman class of UTV’s that can’t seem to get through 4 clean laps without a full course caution. In my opinion they need to run qualifiers and take the fastest 20 or 25 drivers for the mains on the weekend so the race doesn’t take 45 minutes to get through

Joxracing

...and my above comment doesn’t come from being a sportsman racer, it comes from me being a spectator at ERX, Bark River and spring Crandon all in the last 2 years. I’ve seen Light Buggy and Single Buggy come out and provide great battles all through the class, I’ve watched my friends go out in Super Stock and absolutely wage war with eachother while the crowd cheers and gasps with every lead change. I’ve watched Stock Truck grow from almost being cut from the schedule to having over 15 drivers duking it out for podium positions.

...and on the same weekends I’ve watched 3 trucks finish in pro 4 after 5 started the race. I’ve seen people get up to go get beer and hot dogs during the Pro Mod races. I’ve seen the Pro Lite class (who use to have over 16 trucks every weekend) finish off a race with 4 trucks still on the track, and the first 2 finishers had BUS lengths on the last 2. I also remember a time when Sportsman guys stepped up and out of their budget to sacrifice a successful sportsman class to jump start a failing P2 class and keep pro racing in the midwest alive. So before you think about cancelling the little guys out of the big pro weekends, I’d say sit in the stands for a full saturday of racing at spring crandon or bark river and let me know if you have the same opinion.

cjmay13

It seriously can't be that hard to get drivers lined back up after a full course caution. The computer system tells you where everyone was. Now if a driver doesn't want to get lined up in the correct order, send them to the rear of the field.

450grl

It becomes a problem when not every spotter can hear race control, and not every racer can hear their spotter. Also a problem when a racer doesn't agree that they should be in said position and you have an argument going on while trying to line back up. Lots of smaller issues creating a larger one. I also agree that there should ABSOLUTELY be qualifying to limit the main race to 20 racers. 30-40+ UTVs on a shortened race course is just asking for a giant mess and a bunch of chaos. The argument I always hear is "well, everyone will be mad if they come all this way and don't get to race the main". My reply has always been "If they know the terms ahead of time, and they still make the trip, they know what they are signing up for." You can't bitch about it if you know the deal and you still make the trip. :cool:

I think the Sportsman classes are great - it makes the Mid-west races what they are.....it's such a HUGE family weekend, and it has a very different (and special) feel than when it's only the Pro classes at a race. And yes, some of the best racing I have seen has been in the Sportsmen truck classes - lots of talent lurking at the Sportsman level for sure......

ltr450rider

I will never disagree with the quality of racing and entertainment provided by the sportsman races. I think it's awesome that the little guys can go out and race on the same track, then same weekend, even the same day as the pro guys. There are not many other forms of motorsport that allows for that.

I only propose a split between sportsman and pro class events to try and form a solution to the scheduling mess that happened over the 50th. But then again, the 50th was most likely a one time big event and would probably not bring the same type of issues for another 10-25 years until the next big event occurs. So it might only be a solution to a one time problem that may never happen again. If it does become a regularly occurring problem, then something will have to change in scheduling, otherwise we will all still have the same complaints.

I still stand by my opinions on allowing more track time for the pro racers to tune their trucks for race time, and allow for a bit less stressful of an event for the track workers and race directors. I also stand by my thoughts that the grandstands would still be filled on a "pro only" weekend/day without the sportsman racers/families/friends there to help fill them, I believe the majority of those people would still make time to attend the pro only events as fans.

acers

I will never disagree with the quality of racing and entertainment provided by the sportsman races. I think it's awesome that the little guys can go out and race on the same track, then same weekend, even the same day as the pro guys. There are not many other forms of motorsport that allows for that.

I only propose a split between sportsman and pro class events to try and form a solution to the scheduling mess that happened over the 50th. But then again, the 50th was most likely a one time big event and would probably not bring the same type of issues for another 10-25 years until the next big event occurs. So it might only be a solution to a one time problem that may never happen again. If it does become a regularly occurring problem, then something will have to change in scheduling, otherwise we will all still have the same complaints.

I still stand by my opinions on allowing more track time for the pro racers to tune their trucks for race time, and allow for a bit less stressful of an event for the track workers and race directors. I also stand by my thoughts that the grandstands would still be filled on a "pro only" weekend/day without the sportsman racers/families/friends there to help fill them, I believe the majority of those people would still make time to attend the pro only events as fans.
I like sunday being all pro. Saturday gets long but we watch some sportsman races and walk the pits during some to break up the day. Not a fan of stock utv, takes to long. Saying the stands would not be full for pro only weekend is just silly. Maybe do sportsman on saturday and pro on sunday all season or just leave it as is.I am more concerned about Lucas staying

CYS Motorsports

If the "Pro" race weekends are: 5 Pro 4's, 8 Pro 2's, 8 Pro Lites, and 60+ UTV's, they aren't making that trip.

There have been several Pro only races within the past 5-10 years that have been ghost towns, well within driving distance of most sportsman teams.

acers

If the "Pro" race weekends are: 5 Pro 4's, 8 Pro 2's, 8 Pro Lites, and 60+ UTV's, they aren't making that trip.

There have been several Pro only races within the past 5-10 years that have been ghost towns, well within driving distance of most sportsman teams.
Our group would

cofferjl

Speaking as only a spectator, I would attend far fewer events if it were only the pro classes. While watching online is not the same as being there in person, that is probably the option I would choose. I go to the races to see the sportsman classes because they are not covered by the media like the pro classes. I like the sportsman classes because of the variety and differences in vehicles and setups even within the same class. I also think that this is the reason that I am not a big UTV fan. I realize that they are popular and help bring in support, but to me they are just too similar to each other. I honestly think that there should be only one pro UTV category, and then maybe multiple sportsman utv classes. I do not mean any disrespect to those UTV teams that work hard to improve their team. Just giving my perspective. I think one thing that would be neat to see, is for the pro UTV class to be an almost unlimited class. Only having a cc., wheelbase, and weight limit. I am thinking like an offroad version of the World of Outlaws. An extremely overpowered, short wheelbase vehicle, maybe then I could sit and watch a UTV race. In summary I would say that I like to see the ideas and fabrication that people come up with, whether it is the high dollar precision, or the backyard ingenuity. What I do not like is bolt on similarity. Just like watching 60's and 70's NASCAR or INDY 500 races is interesting, but I have no interest to watch any of those products today.
Just this fans opinion.

Last edited:

450grl

An Unlimited UTV class would kill the class. If you look back at the history of UTV racing, the Unlimited classes only last a couple of years. The Production classes are much better for longevity, competition and OEM involvement. ?

ltr450rider

Question for those that say they would not attend a pro-only race weekend, would you change your mind if there were 10+ vehicles in each class on track for every race?

It is no doubt not as fun to only watch 4-5 Pro4's run around the track, but back when there were 10+ on track it was a lot more fun to watch.

afortune46

Theres a plan in action... Lucas didnt want to be in the midwest, they did it because after the tracks booted Torc for wanting to park pro4's they needed something.

sb4pro

Keep in mind guys it only says the dissolution of the LEAGUE NOT that Lucas was leaving the Midwest entirely . This MIGHT be a good thing . Maybe this means a TRUE merger . I can see a schedule going something like
March - Glen Helen
April - Wild Horse
May - Estero Beach
June - Crandon
July - ERX
August - Bark River
Sept - Crandon
October - Glen Helen

That way east coast and west coast teams would have the same amount of travel , March April and May would be still fairly cool for the west coast weather before June July and August’s REALLY hot weather kicks in , and both east and west would get equal tv event time .
As for which rule book to use , do a spec v-8 for pro-lite , the 410 rule for pro2 , and unlimited for pro4 . The sportsmen classes can use the respective rule books ( MORR and LOORRS ) that they followed for this years racing and be the support classes for whichever area the race is . I’m trying to stay positive on all this and I DO truly think this won’t be a BAD thing in the end it’s just gonna take some time to work out the bugs and then we can get back to what matters the most the RACING . I know we’re gonna get through this and there will be some teams that suffer and some that don’t but we can’t please everyone , we need to make it so we keep the MAJORITY of the teams happy . Can’t wait to see what the rest of you all think . It’s definitely gonna be a few interesting weeks / months .

acers

Keep in mind guys it only says the dissolution of the LEAGUE NOT that Lucas was leaving the Midwest entirely . This MIGHT be a good thing . Maybe this means a TRUE merger . I can see a schedule going something like
March - Glen Helen
April - Wild Horse
May - Estero Beach
June - Crandon
July - ERX
August - Bark River
Sept - Crandon
October - Glen Helen

That way east coast and west coast teams would have the same amount of travel , March April and May would be still fairly cool for the west coast weather before June July and August’s REALLY hot weather kicks in , and both east and west would get equal tv event time .
As for which rule book to use , do a spec v-8 for pro-lite , the 410 rule for pro2 , and unlimited for pro4 . The sportsmen classes can use the respective rule books ( MORR and LOORRS ) that they followed for this years racing and be the support classes for whichever area the race is . I’m trying to stay positive on all this and I DO truly think this won’t be a BAD thing in the end it’s just gonna take some time to work out the bugs and then we can get back to what matters the most the RACING . I know we’re gonna get through this and there will be some teams that suffer and some that don’t but we can’t please everyone , we need to make it so we keep the MAJORITY of the teams happy . Can’t wait to see what the rest of you all think . It’s definitely gonna be a few interesting weeks / months .
Hope you’re right,but it sounds like their done with the Midwest and that does not sound good for pros in the Midwest.Well at least we got to see everybody race together at Crandon . Something just doesn’t seem right in the Midwest that they can’t keep a sponsor for more then a few years

sb4pro

It’ll get worked out eventually , there’s too much money involved for Lucas to just take his ball and go home .

Pro4orNothing

I wouldn’t hold you breath for any of the Midwest tracks joining the main LOORRS series next year. The tracks already sound like they have a plan for next year, and if you follow the rumors that are sprinkled throughout here and social media, we’ll still have racing next year.

It just won’t have Lucas sanctioning, that’s all...

afortune46

Lucas is out... they called the tracks last night and told them. Then the tracks have called another motorsports promotional group and a plan is being put into motion (as I mentioned earlier in this thread)

It will be good for the sport if it comes to fruition - and if they do what they say they're doing with the rules it will allow for the west coast to come midwest druing the summer break without heartburn.

sb4pro

Yeah I’m beginning to see it more and more Lucas DID take his ball and go home . I was trying to stay positive and look at the glass 1/2 full but I guess it’s 1/2 empty . Oh well it’s HIS loss Crandon and the Midwest have been around BEFORE Lucas and they’ll be here after him . Sucks that he couldn’t play nice and play ball but as long as there’s still gonna be racing on both sides I guess it’ll be ok .