Doug Fortin's 1998 Jimco/Fortin class 10

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
Soooo, sitting at the #Parker425 tech and contingency I see a car that looks familiar. Then I see the name, Doug Fortin. Wholly snikies, that's the old 2003 Baja 1000 Overall winner (Dust To Glory movie). I talk with Doug for a few, he dusted the old car off, took out the unlimited motor and threw in a 200hp Ecotech and a 6 speed trans to run the car in class 10. Mind you it still has THE SAME SHOCKS that he was running 20 years ago!

Well, today Doug sends me a message that not only did he WIN class 10, but he finished 2nd OVERALL to Andy McMillin in his (beautiful) brand new Trophy Truck.....by only 2 minutes!!! 900 plus HP vs. 200 HP.....and a 20 year old car.....Not bad Mr. Fortin, not bad at all. Vintage cars rule.

Photo credits Rory Ward

EDIT: Almost forgot, this car is FOR SALE. I'm willing to bet the price went up since Friday.....hahhaha.

2018 Parker 425 tech inspection....

IMG_7716.JPG

2002 BITD Vegas to Reno.....

img007.jpg

retroblazer

Reaction
The man can drive. Between Harley’s qualifying and Doug’s finish, glad to see the buggies give the TT’s a race.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

5280Ranger

Reaction
"not only did he WIN class 10, but he finished 2nd OVERALL to Andy McMillin in his (beautiful) brand new Trophy Truck.....by only 2 minutes!!!"

When I saw this in the results I thought it was a mistake. How is this possible? Not knocking his accomplishment one bit, truly a bad @ss effort! Did the daytime hours and course conditions make that big of a difference or is he just that awesome? I was pulling for Harley although I'm a fan of Andy too. I'd love to see a buggy overall a big race.

M.Tornel Jr

Reaction
"not only did he WIN class 10, but he finished 2nd OVERALL to Andy McMillin in his (beautiful) brand new Trophy Truck.....by only 2 minutes!!!"

When I saw this in the results I thought it was a mistake. How is this possible? Not knocking his accomplishment one bit, truly a bad @ss effort! Did the daytime hours and course conditions make that big of a difference or is he just that awesome? I was pulling for Harley although I'm a fan of Andy too. I'd love to see a buggy overall a big race.
Him and brock just got way ahead from everyone, and a lot of the top TT’s broke or had problems.. was following race on the app

Brice

Reaction
Funny, he beat all the big, heavy and wide 10 cars. wonder why???

pdailey

Racer
Reaction

The course deteriorates in a big way after the morning race.

gawdodirt

Reaction
I was at several pits, and when the 10 cars came through, they did not all sound like "spec" Eco-tec engines. I have done tech for AZ Lucas Regional since forever, and have heard and watched "spec" Eco-tecs since they were allowed. The standard now is about 220 RWHP. But, hey, seasoned driver, light car, it's been known to happen.

Sano Deluxe King Bucket

Reaction
Along with driving in the night (vision more difficult) vrs daytime driving being better. Power to weight ratio very favorable too with a light single seat car. Experienced driver who knows how to drive. Car sounded sweet on the pipe going through the gears.

Last edited:

51rcr

Reaction
But everyone says a 20 year old TT cant compete. huh. top 3 in that class had good times. To bad it wasnt during the same race so we could really see. Since thats what everyone says but dont when 10s and other classes follow the TTs. But hey at least this is one of the rolls reversed races and TTs get the rougher course and not smooth since they have the power, tire, and travel. Way to go.

Big Whitey

Reaction
I was a crossing guard at midway and when Doug and Brock came though each lap they were very fast and very smooth. I wish I could drive my cars like that. Good job

steve0we

Reaction
I wonder if Doug will do one of those advertisements with a list of all the race wins with his trani. and just post his car and a smile?

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Amazing how much faster the little cars can run if they don';t have to follow the 800hp ditch diggers around the desert... Says a lot about what really goes on. Trophy Trucks aren't really that much faster, they just make the course that much slower for everyone else!

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction
track position is EVERYTHING......someday you keyboard racers will get it.....especially in a 130mile one line silt bed......next thing you will think if mixed together, the little junebuggies will dominate, haha

Steve_Sourapas

Reaction
Good run by Doug but comparing racing in the morning and the afternoon race is a joke. Track is way rougher and little night racing at all. Yes the car is old but buggies have been the same more or less for the last twenty years. I think he raced it so he could sell it.

firedog

Reaction
So if we go by winner in class finishing results from Parker...The starting order for the afternoon race at the MINT should be TT, 10, 1, 6100???

Jack

Reaction
Well this just shows that class 10 should race the afternoon and 6100 should race in the morning.

Lol