downey header gasket problems?

Eric_M

about a week ago i bought a downey header for my truck (89 4cyl yota 22R) i got it all installed and was happy for about 3 days, then i started hearing a "click click click" which sounded to me like an exhaust leak. but i didnt understand how at first. so today it pissed me off enough to make me take the header off and investigate what was making the noise. i found that part of the gasket had been blown to pieces and the only thing left was the metal mesh in the middle of the gasket in a few places and was pretty much acting like a strainer, leting air come right through and making a leak. now my question, does it sound to you that i didnt use enough adheasive? did i get a defective gasket?

PS, when i took the header off, the gasket sections that were missing were nowhere to be seen BEFORE i took it off. but i do know that some had flaked off when i seperated the header and the motor. but 80% of what is missing was gone before i took it off. so anyway what do you think my problem is? any onfo you have is good enough for me. maybe should i use more of the gasket adheasive stuff and really get that sucker stuck on there? thanks in advance!

stupid people shouldnt breed!

gary

my '88 22r with newly installed downey headers did the same thing after about a week. my muffler shop says they come with crappy gaskets. he sent me to a place to pick up a thorley gasket, and it's been good ever since..

Eric_M

the thorley gaskets fit? i looked at one and they didnt look like they would work. so where did you go to get the thorley gasket. but i also wonder if it will work on my 89? dont know if that makes a difference but you never know. also how much for it?

gary

if i recall (it's been a few years now), the downey gasket was made of like a cork material? the thorley one is more along the lines of hard rubber/soft plastic kinda stuff...i couldn't tell ya where i got it, it was a drag race shop somewhere in orange (i think), that carried all kinds of thorley stuff. call fantasy muffler, in buena park. downey sent me to them originally to install the headers, and i've gone back ever since. they know their stuff.

JasonHutter

The best gasket we have found to use with the LC Engineering headers we have is the stock gasket from Toyota.

Jason

Eric_M

after talking to mike, he told me to just go with the stock gasket. so ill give that a try and see what happens this time. i hope this time ill get it right. but how do you get better at things?, through trial and error! so lets see how it goes later tonight. thanks to gary and jason for your input though!

tedmales

do not forget to retighten the bolts after the header has gotten hot then cooled down. they expand then contract and that what makes the gaskets come out. works for me,, usually. and last but not least try and look for a copper gasket. i started using them on everything, way more expensive, but i have never had one fail. and they can be reused.

life is too short to be small

Eric_M

ya, even though the little page of bs that came with my header didnt say to re-tighten the bolts, i did anyway. i kinda just understood the expanding and contracting of metel when heated and cooling. and figured i would check the bolts after a 10 mile loop around my house and streets, tryin to beat my old record :p, then let it cool and found out that they were almost 1/5 of a turn loose! but from then on after every trip (about every 2 days) i would check the bolts and they were tight. but as for a coper gasket, i dont have a lot of money so i think ill try a toyota gasket first which i called in and was a few bucks, and see how that does before i get into the pricey stuff.

patty

Stock gasket works great with the Downey, raced our for 3 years and it never leaked. Do you have a 2 or 4wd? If it was a 2wd how well did it fit ie clearance around frame and torsion bars? Patty

Eric_M

yep, just got back, NO LEAKS!!! the stock gasket did the trick.

patty,

my truck is the 2wd. the header clears the frame with about an inch and a half of room i believe. the downey header now comes with a pre-bent 2.25" section of tubing that simply slips over the collector and is long enough to extend almost to the back of the cab. all i did was shoped it about a foot and thanks to ESB mike, i now have my spintech and new cat on, so my exhaust is now complete and done for good! and as for the clearence on the tortion bar, on the 2wd model you need to cut about an inch off the bottom of the header and about 3/4" off the pre-bent section of tubing and slip it on and right now im runing about 1" of clearence between the tubing and tortion bar. if you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

curt

The reason we were asking is the headers we got from Downey was one of their one size fits all ones and it wouldn't fit on either of the 2-2wd trucks we put them on without denting it for torsion bar clearance. We've since switched to the LC pro 2wd header and it works very well. We got one of the first runs and fit was again rough so we clearanced the frame horn that goes down to the lower control arm mount and let them know about it. About a month later when they made their second run, they sent us a new one with a much better fit. Performance wise the LC has a better feel from about 3500-7000rpm and I had noticed that they came much closer to keeping the tubes equal length than the old Downey did. Downey may have undergone some revisions since we bought our header to address these issues though...Curt

VORRA Class 7

Eric_M

my header fits perfectly in there, plenty of room between the header and everything else it comes near. seems the tubes are all the same length too. but from your post about the old downeys, and them not quite fiting good, i would say they changed for the better because i had it in with little effort and didnt take too long eather. any other questions you may have? feel free to ask.