Dream Trip!

freddy

Reaction
So it will finally happen. I am going to see a desertrace, more precisly the SCORE Hendersons Terrible 250. For most of you this would not seem like such a big deal, but I live in the cold and rainy country of Sweden, so it will be a trip almost half around the world for me. Since I have never been to a Desertrace before I thought I would ask some questions to someone who knows how it works.

First of all, do someone know of a good place to watch the race in Henderson? Do I have to pay an entrance fee or something else? Can I buy a map of the course, so I know where to go? How can I get a good look of the vehicles that compete? (When they are not racing)

I also plan to go on a trip to California for a few days and I wonder if you could recomend some places where I can see some trucks and maybe buy some stuff for my own truck.

Thanks

Fredrik

frankh

Reaction
I did not go to the race last year. But I heard the course was closed, so you need to get some team to let you go with them. We are not race that race but our friends may, if they do you can ride out to the pits with us. The best place to check out the cars up close will be a tech. Also remember it is going to be HOT!

There are many place to go for parts. check out the link page. where in calif are you going. Kartek is in Riverside, McKenzie's is in Anaheim. There are a lot of other place just depend on what you are looking for.

If you are close to Ventura you can come by my shop and check out my cars. Ventura is about 30-45 min north of L.A

ThriceGuy

Reaction
I was at last years race and all I can say is hotter than hell...I think it was like 120 degrees, so bring alot of water..

As for checking out the trucks you can get a close up look of the trucks at contingency. Here are some pics I took at last years race.

http://www.csulb.edu/~tlim4/Henderson/

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
So far the weather is exactly the opposite this year. It was in the low 70's today. last year we were in the high 89's and low 90's at this time.

freddy

Reaction
Do someone know if the race is going to be closed. If so does this mean I can not watch the race at all?
It would feel so bad to go so far and then not be able to watch the race.

How do I get to gasline road? Will there be signs to follow or something else?

I had planned to go to Kartek, but I thougth it was i Corona. But I was wondering if I could go to a shop, say like Camburg, Baja Shop or Donahoe and check out the cars they have. That would be really cool since we do not have so much nice trucks here in sweden and certainly no nice prerunners.

Thanks

Fredrik

martininsocal

Reaction
Freddy- Last year they had specific viewing areas for spectators. If you can get a pit pass, your viewing pleasure will increase substantially! As for the weather, it may be a little cool now, but don't plan on it being under 100 at the race, 100 would be considered cool for that time of year there. Yes, Kartek is in Corona, but there are plenty of other shops throughout the soutrhwestern United States. Kartek is a reatil store and usually only has 1, maybe 2 vehicles there to look at. May Inland Prerunners can coordinate a meeting while you are here to help your film consumption out? Greg and Jen?

Martin

01_el_tiburon

Bait Fish
Reaction
Franky:

i had a couple of visitor for the las CODE race from Germany. Code is a small mexican race organization compared to SCORE races, A German MKT company called S+K, who promotes Sierra Tequila in germany got in touch with me and after working some details, they raffled 2 co pilot spots to race in my car. Frank, Swen and Silke Storcker where the ones to come down to San Felipe and race..It was a great expderience for me, in sure it was for them also..... Whats the overall view of off road racing in Europe, Sweden ? I know you guys have rally racing and those monster trucks that go up 90 degree hills, but do you ever get to see any off road racing down there ? Any TV coverage ?

thx

omar

bajaboy

Reaction
Fredrik,

The race is still going on , the term "closed" in off road racing means that its a closed course race. The vehicles will race in laps , also very limited use of chase trucks occurs in closed course racing. You can view the vehicles up close during tech inspection (contingency row).

The shops you mention are mainly in the Orange County area , basiclly the Disneyland area for you international visitors. Kartek is not in Orange County , but is a 15-20 minute drive from Disneyland depending on traffic.

Eric "Bajaboy"

freddy

Reaction
Yes, we do have alot of rally races and there is some races in what we call Formula Offroad. It is basically a competition where special built vehicles tries to go up a sandhill, and the one that gets the longest wins.

We do not see much off-road racing on TV, here in sweden anyway. With one exception, the Paris to Dakar Rally once a year. But I have never seen anything from like say the Baja 1000.

Thanks

Fredrik

frankh

Reaction
I think most of the shop would have no problem with you stopping bye. You can get the phone number from the link page and give the a call when you get here. When I said closed I meant that pit pass would be need. But like I said you can mostly get with some team and ride out with them.

Have you seen some of the video that are for sell. DP, Movin' Dirt ect.

motoxscott

Reaction
Someone try an hook a brother up. Maybe even take him under your wing. He's coming from Sweden after all. Their are plenty of race teams here that I'm sure have an open seat or can arrange one. How cool would it be for this guy if he could even help pit for a team.

Lets make this trip one he wont ever forget, and he will have race-dezert and who ever helped him to thank.

It's not like he's some punk flatbiller from OC asking around for a pit pass, it will go a long way in this case.

I wish I could help, but I am no one in the SCORE community.

-Scott

01_el_tiburon

Bait Fish
Reaction
motox:
exactly what i did with the germans that came over, they had a great time and are planning to come back next year, maybe some team can let him hook up with them, and as usual, he would have to cover the 150 dlls. beer, food, all you can eat fun ticket..
let the swede have some fun !!

el tiburon

freddy

Reaction
I have got DP and Never Lift. If I want to buy some more videos when I am there, where should I go then?

Thanks

Fredrik

erikh

Reaction
You should be able to pick up a ton of vidoes and other products at contingency from the vendors there. Companies will have tents and trailors set up as their store for the day and will be selling their stuff.

erik

Desert_Roller

Reaction
Fredrik, please post the dates when you'll be in the USA. For starters we'll make you an honorary F.A.I.R. member, so pit access is no longer an issue. We pitted nine cars at San Felipe and plan on pitting more for Henderson. As for shops I've got you covered at: Baja Shop, Duffco, Lothringer, PCI, and Kartek. That'll wipe out an entire day. Bring your helmet, and I'll get you a few rides.

Tom Sobray
F.A.I.R. President
www.fairpits.com

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

Fredrik, please post the dates when you'll be in the USA. For starters we'll make you an honorary F.A.I.R. member,

[/ QUOTE ]

WELL DONE, TOM!

freddy

Reaction
I will come to Las Vegas on monday the 7th of July and I will go home again on the 16th of July.

Tom, I would be really proud to be a member and if you want me to work I will do what ever I can. I just want to say that I am really happy for everything, helping me with my questions and all. It is not easy to know how everything works. Thanks alot.

Fredrik

Bill

Carlos Danger
Reaction
Freddy will you be coming alone or with others?Tom said he will take you around to varius shops in Calif. if you would like.PM him for more info and have fun . Bill Markel