DRIVE Desert Kart Class 200

fl250driver

Reaction
so on drives website it says that the entry for the desert kart fee is 50 bucks.
then it says that desert karts are class 200 and sportsman.
i am interested in this class and want to know more about but the drive website doesnt have rules for it
is it an open mini buggy class more of a run what u got as long as it passes tech with the required safety stuff.
anyone that might even have an idea of what it is please post it up.
thanks

dwasser

Reaction
The Desert Kart class is Trophy Karts. We need to finish up the rules as we want to get this class organized the way it should be before September. It's basically stock or modified and will follow the standard rules that everyone is using. No need to rock the boat.

If you want to call me and give me some more details on your buggy we can figure out what class you would fit in.

Thanks

Doug
760-791-7663

fl250driver

Reaction
thanks for the info.
i have a 1979 honda odyssey fl250 but i am selling it to either buy a fl350 or an old desertlite mini buggy with 100hp.
i would be down to just run the buggy sportsman class.

atomicjoe23

Reaction
DWasser. . .where are these races run at???

I'm wanting to build a sportbike powered buggy that would fit into Class 10 if the organizers of a series would allow it (becuase it isn't a VW engine. . .some of the series state it has to be a VW engine for Class 10) or I was also told the Sportsman class. . .

. . .I don't want to build an underpowered Class 1 buggy to race Class 10 though. . .I was thinking more of a mini-buggy. . .somewhere around 100" WB. . .

Thanks!

and thanks for the link FL250Driver!

tmathews

Reaction
You could always race in the Sportsman buggy class...

atomicjoe23

Reaction
I'm looking into that as well. . .it will depend on what the rules limitations are. . .I want to build a buggy similar to the MC-10 and the Fusion C1-Lite because I already have a very good chassis design that just needs to be modified a little for those size buggies and that type of suspension. . .and I have already tested the smaller version so I already know where it needs improvements and that would keep my cost and testing time WAY down. . .

dwasser

Reaction
DWasser. . .where are these races run at???

I'm wanting to build a sportbike powered buggy that would fit into Class 10 if the organizers of a series would allow it (becuase it isn't a VW engine. . .some of the series state it has to be a VW engine for Class 10) or I was also told the Sportsman class. . .

. . .I don't want to build an underpowered Class 1 buggy to race Class 10 though. . .I was thinking more of a mini-buggy. . .somewhere around 100" WB. . .

Thanks!

and thanks for the link FL250Driver!
We race in Plaster City CA which is in Imperial Valley. 100 miles East of San Diego.

Here is a link to our class 10 rules. Page 34 has the engine specs on them. It's not limited to VW but there are certain requirements.

http://www.drive-racing.com/race_rules/class1001Rev1_1.pdf

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Thanks DW. . .I already downloaded the rules and checked on the EFI requirements. . .I would just need to double check the size of the throttle bodies. . .

. . .the 4 cylinder sportbike engines have a throttle body for each individual cylinder. . .do you know if the throttle body size restriction is per throttle body or total. . .because if it's total you wouldn't be able to use a motorcycle engine larger than probably 125-250cc. . .which would suck!!!

fl250driver

Reaction
some other race series like more mdr score ect. have denied mini buggies to the sportsman class do the their small size.
for example my fl250 easily fits in the back of a truck with no problems but some say that it is too small and would be destroyed if it collided with a tt for example.
also i think i am going to sell my ody for a yerf dog mini buggy with a yz250 engine in it to put around and prerun in because it is a two seater and has front and rear suspension, my ody only has front and the front has like 2 inches of travel.
sorry for drifting off topic but my question is: For the sportsman buggy class are their any size requirements?
or is it pretty much 4 wheels roll cage and all the safety stuff and u can race?