DRIVE Racing in 2010???

dwasser

I was at two events today. The later being the Dezert People 7 premier (Great event by the way). Between the two events I had at least 5 people ask me if DRIVE was going to make it to 2010 (Financially). I am assuming they were asking because of the low car counts so far this year. I can say with complete confidence….

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We will be back next year with a renewed enthusiasm. We will also finish out this year investing in the series.

I consider myself a hard worker, and……. I can say that I have never worked as hard in my life as I have this year. I also consider myself very lucky to have the people that I do support the effort. Family, racers, volunteers, sponsors, media, and our core group of day to day volunteers that are down in the trenches making big sacrifices to see this come to life.

Think of it this way…You wake up one morning and decide that you want to build a race car and go out and win the first race. You put a ton of money into the car. Your friends and family make sacrifices to help you realize your dream. So you are sitting on the start line at your first race and are nervous as hell. Your thinking about all the people that have sacrificed to get you there and you want to do the best you possibly can. You run the race and finish in the middle of the pack. You finished so you’re happy, but not satisfied. Now it’s time for the second race. You have put even more time, effort, and money into getting ready and you want to win even more then the first race. This time you finish but you finish last. Time for race number 3. You work even harder then you did for race number 2. Sleepless nights thinking about what you can do better this time. You get lucky and finish in the top 5. Time to gear up for race number 4. You spent most of your time and money on the first 3 races so it’s time to buckle down. There are 24 hours in the day and you can function on 4 hours of sleep. Money comes in and money goes out towards your dream. You are lucky that the years of trying to do the right thing in business come back to you and replenish the war chest $$.

This is race number 4 for us. My mentality is no different then a racers. I want to win. I want to do it fairly and with pride. I want to win for ALL the people that have supported me. A win to me is a quality race where all the racers, volunteers and spectators walk away saying that it was worth their time and money to come out.

Wait…I think I did win

We will announce the 2010 schedule in the next month or so.

bajafox

Accepted
Good to hear that, I am looking forward to attengin and hopefully racing at future DRIVE races. Good luck

BRINGTHERUCKUS

Nimrod de PMC
YES! i really enjoy the drive series, great idea, great service, super nice staff, fun courses its just a great overall feeling thanks doug!

AZ1000

2009 DRIVE CHAMP
This is race number 4 for us. My mentality is no different then a racers. I want to win. I want to do it fairly and with pride. I want to win for ALL the people that have supported me. A win to me is a quality race where all the racers, volunteers and spectators walk away saying that it was worth their time and money to come out.

Wait…I think I did win
Doug, you and everyone that has helped DRIVE through it's first season are winners!

Doug, I will be the first to say that you have won! DRIVE is first class; on track and representing the best of Off-Road Desert Racing. Not only have you put on the best run races that Plaster City has ever seen, you have also done more in a short time to repair relations with the District 38 riders than anybody since the rift started when Fud passed. Some day soon, and because of your efforts, we will see Bikes, Quads, Cars and Trucks racing on the same day and with the same huge crowds and entries that Fud had in his best years. You have given us three great courses with new sections not seen in years and have plans for even better, longer and more unique courses. Some of your courses that you have in the planning stages will rival the best courses in Nevada and California racing history.

Putting on great races is one thing, but what has really impressed me is your commitment to keeping Desert Racing vital in Plaster City. The efforts you have made and the time you have put in working behind the scenes with the Bureau of Land Management and other concerns to keep us racing for generations to come is nothing short of heroic.

As the Southern California Off-Road business community and other influential racers come to learn of your efforts and successes they will rally around you in the effort to keep the Plaster City tradition alive. Competitors have done little to earn them what they have and your efforts will prove in the near future that DRIVE is the future of Desert Racing in Plaster City. Robbie Pierce, owner of MasterCraft and Trophy Trucks 35 and 20, told me just this Saturday that he was really impressed when he visited the last race and thought you were doing a great job. People are noticing.

With regards to “low car counts” – this is your first season. Some classes have had low numbers, but at every race there has be one or two premier classes for that race with strong entry counts. This is the toughest economy in decades, someone else is established in your market, and yet you are gaining market share every race and more importantly, the loyalty, appreciation and friendship of you racers and sponsors - soon the others will GET IT and you will realize you dream and we Southern California Desert Racers will all be winners with you!

dezertgirl

"RDC's Social Butterfly"
I am looking forward to attend the next DRIVE race this year. Curious to see what it's all about. I will be making my co-dawging debut!! :eek:
Who are you codawging with??

I'll be there to flag you through s/f :D

I'm glad to hear that DRIVE will be back again, I'm hoping for better turnouts in the coming years!! Keep up the good work, great organization and fun times!! :D

REEVESRacing

Glad to see this post.

We have raced CODE, MDR, MORE and like and enjoy them all. It was a little confusing when DRIVE started up in Plaster City, who the players were, the motivations etc. We helped mark the first course, as we were invited to ck. out the series by a respected friend. DOUG IS the driving force, period.

There have been earlier posts about "where are you racing this season," and they seemed to trend toward "my favorite races" versus 1 series for points. For our class, 1450, some favorites include Code Jacume, MDR Cal. 200 nite race, Powder Puff, and the DRIVE RDC 250 <- click (hope to run Primm and Mint in the future).

Here's the point, it dosen't have to be all or nothing, one series or another. Many talk about dilution of car counts, understand that, especially in this economy no answer there, just part of racing / business...

What we want to say is that we have seen with our own eyes, DRIVE is VALUE ADDED for So. Cal / PC offroad racing. Quality. I have personlly watched Doug make the right decisions for the sport time and again:

1) Personally creating cool courses and marking them (stake by stinkin' stake)
2) Working closely with BLM
3) Working w/ D-38
4) Desert Clean ups
5) Delaying a race until ALL safety staff was in place
6) Sensitivity to former traditions and locations from the FUD days.

He REALLY cares.

The sole purpose of this post is to share the positive, thank and congratulate DRIVE and DOUG Wasser and Team. Again, we are good for all the series.

Whether your a racer, volunteer, spectator or industry, ck. out DRIVE and you'll be happy, I'm sure Fud is.

Rich

ps...independently of above posts, was just telling a young motocross racer that combined 2 wheel 4 wheel races were probably coming to PC! <Doug? no presssure:D>

BBM2ndhalf

Doug and the whole DRIVE family of racers, sponsers, and volunteers YOU ALL ROCK!!! Thank you for everything you all do to make this series a success and can't wait until next year.

3 Amigos Racing

Doug and DRIVE are great.. I have never before had a promotor call me on a weekend and ask about my class and what he can do to make it work, Doug gave me that call!

1BAJA03

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. If you read in Doug's post he threw a hint to everyone and a couple of you have hit on it..... It's been a blast and i'm sure the ride is just beginning. thanks everyone again for showing support for "open desert racing". See ya for Sept 19th race plaster city east, come on out.

SicRic

Dear DRIVE...thank u for the sandwiches.....and goodies.....
We look forward to the 2010 season, volunteering or racing it, either way it will be fun..

TreyP

"F" you Bill
Doug you have done fantastic for your first year. I have heard nothing but praise from everyone that has run one of your races. And all have said they will be back, when they can.

To start a series in the middle of one of the worst recession ever and keep it going is quite an accomplishment.

Low car count? I 've only seen a few that seem to obsess on this. The counts have been good for a series that didn't advertize in the major publications and relied on word of mouth. Becides I don't think you would want 200 cars a race the first year. Best to get the bugs out and run a quaility series which you have done.

Best thing you did this year was get the bike (D38) people willing to work with you. It would be fun to see a bike/car race out there again.

Looking forward to next year as the car should be more competitive and we will see more people out there. Just keep building the great courses and keep it up.

Oh and a big thank you for putting this series on.

M.Harvey1600

i will be racing a full series with drive next year... gonna take the 1600 championship away from BBM... sorry Terry gotta do it buddy... haha cant wait i am gonna try and race 1 DRIVE race by the end of the year... love how much doug and crew care about putting on quality races. they are really racer oriented...

so DRIVE are we gonna see a race at superstition mt. next year???

AZ1000

2009 DRIVE CHAMP
Doug, I will be the first to say that you have won! DRIVE is first class; on track and representing the best of Off-Road Desert Racing. Not only have you put on the best run races that Plaster City has ever seen, you have also done more in a short time to repair relations with the District 38 riders than anybody since the rift started when Fud passed. Some day soon, and because of your efforts, we will see Bikes, Quads, Cars and Trucks racing on the same day and with the same huge crowds and entries that Fud had in his best years. You have given us three great courses with new sections not seen in years and have plans for even better, longer and more unique courses. Some of your courses that you have in the planning stages will rival the best courses in Nevada and California racing history.

Putting on great races is one thing, but what has really impressed me is your commitment to keeping Desert Racing vital in Plaster City. The efforts you have made and the time you have put in working behind the scenes with the Bureau of Land Management and other concerns to keep us racing for generations to come is nothing short of heroic.

As the Southern California Off-Road business community and other influential racers come to learn of your efforts and successes they will rally around you in the effort to keep the Plaster City tradition alive. Competitors have done little to earn them what they have and your efforts will prove in the near future that DRIVE is the future of Desert Racing in Plaster City. Robbie Pierce, owner of MasterCraft and Trophy Trucks 35 and 20, told me just this Saturday that he was really impressed when he visited the last race and thought you were doing a great job. People are noticing.

With regards to “low car counts” – this is your first season. Some classes have had low numbers, but at every race there has be one or two premier classes for that race with strong entry counts. This is the toughest economy in decades, someone else is established in your market, and yet you are gaining market share every race and more importantly, the loyalty, appreciation and friendship of you racers and sponsors - soon the others will GET IT and you will realize you dream and we Southern California Desert Racers will all be winners with you!
X10 - Dam Nice Job Ramsey.....

i will be racing a full series with drive next year... gonna take the 1600 championship away from BBM... sorry Terry gotta do it buddy...
:eek::eek: I love Smack Talkin 1600 drivers.....:D
(I just gotta bring it home this year);)