DRIVE Thank You to everyone at the Night Race!

Brian & Amy

Reaction
Well, the Still of the Night FiberwerX 200 is officially in the DRIVE history books. It was our first night race and I think all things considered, we did a pretty awesome job! All of the members of the DRIVE Volunteer Team had to really step up their game to endure a whole night (8:00 PM – 3:00AM) keeping the course managed and safe.

I want to thank each and every one on the DRIVE Volunteer Team for taking on this challenge. Without all of us volunteering our time and efforts there would be no DRIVE off road racing. Amy and I understand the commitment it takes to come out and volunteer for a race in Plaster City (we are volunteers too). It’s extremely tough and I hope we did a good job showing you how much we appreciate everything that each team member does.

You guys ROCK!

I would like to express a HUGE “thank you” to 1450.ORG. Thank you first for choosing to include DRIVE in your racing schedule. That means a lot for a group like ours that is trying to get started in desert racing. Secondly, an even bigger thanks for including us in your pre-race BBQ. :D

Your party was great and inviting all of the DRIVE Volunteer Team to be a part of it is just one more reason why you guys are such a class act. The reason many of us volunteer for these races is that we love off road racing and want to support it, but can’t afford to race. Hanging out with you guys and having the opportunity to check out all the 1450 trucks at the party was awesome! It gave us a chance to listen to you guys and check out the truck up close. Thanks to Cameron and all the 1450 racers.

Also…

Thank you so much to all of the individuals and companies that made not only the Night Race possible, but the Desert Clean-Up that we did before this race.

Terry, thank you very much for the light towers. The amount of light these things put out added an increased level of safety to the checkpoints and road crossings. It was tough getting all the equipment out on the race course, but I’m glad that we made it happen because the end result was worth it. Thanks again!

Alicia, Thanks for everything that you do to help us out. Your family is awesome and really represents what is so great about the off road racing community. Thank you for the cool glow-in-the-dark DRIVE Volunteer shirts. Most of the volunteers didn’t see the glowing part of the shirt until the very end of the race when Amy and I went around to pick up the light towers. When the light tower went out everyone finally saw themselves glowing! Very cool.

Joe and Joseph, Thank you for not only helping us as volunteers by pulling people out and acting as the eyes and ears of DRIVE Main through the night, but also with the equipment that helped us run the race! It’s pretty cool to see companies offer material support and then top it off by actually coming to the race and spending their own weekend getting dusty as volunteers!!! Thanks to Clairemont Equipment Rental and Off Road Warehouse. You guys are incredible.

Cameron Sinohui and all 1450.ORG, Thank you for making our race such a great event. I can’t say enough about your organization and the people that race with you. I don’t know all your names, but I met most of you during your pre-race BBQ. You guys are a great asset to desert racing and you brought a vibe to the Night Race that embodies what we are trying to achieve at each race. Good friends and family sharing in the fun!

Here is my (and Amy’s) photo account of the night race:

The Day before the race (our home made sign!)

Contingency w/ Jeff and his wife. They were out there all day in the heat helping racers get through contingency and tech. Thanks guys!

Amy and Kelly were great representatives of DRIVE and helped racers with registration. They always do a great job and love having the opportunity to meet everyone pre-race.

Ryan was THE MAN! This guy can do just about anything. Thanks for helping solve all the last minute DRIVE emergencies!

1450.ORG BBQ. A great night! Thanks again to all the 1450 racers that let us be a part of your schindig.

Cameron cooking the carne asada!!!

A great night spent with great people

1450 B-day cake!!!!

It was EVERYBODIES Birthday…. Even if it wasn’t ☺ Here’s all the people brave enough to stand in front of us as we sang a horrible rendition of happy b-day. Thanks for being such good sports!

More great BBQ moments….

1450.ORG finished the night with an impromptu desert work out. Everyone do push-ups! Well, everyone that lost a bet anyway ☺

More Volunteer photos and an account of the race are coming….

Thanks again!

-Brian & Amy

EL ROMAN

Reaction
great photos! We had a blast that night, huge thanks to DRIVE and 1450-ORG for a great time and event and of course all the volunteers that make racing happen

FCORR

Reaction
Great pictures! Trever had to do pushups in front of everyone and then volunteered in the pits and helped pit for most of our 1450 trucks, he's truly a good sport! Also, big thank you to all the volunteers who stood out there all night, your enthusiasm on the race track kept us running strong, we would get pumped up everytime we saw someone jumping up and down and cheering for us! It was a pretty awesome feeling!

tmathews

Reaction
Now I am really bummed I missed the Friday night BBQ.... But I still had a GREAT time working as a volunteer for the race !!

Can't wait til September !!

Your "Spotter" for the Drive Series

zoomlenz4u

Reaction
Brian, you rock along with everyone else that gets involved. Everyone is there for the longhaul like you said. This was my first time volunteering and it was my best race experience yet. Everything is so organized and everyone is so cooperative that it makes the event go so smooth. Even though I felt emty handed not taking pics or video, I will continue to volunteer as a rover and make an effort to use the cameras next time.

The racers rock also. Everything they do and or put into their vehicles so that we can enjoy the races is greatly admired.

Brian & Amy

Reaction
DRIVE Volunteers put on one hell of a race and proved again that the DRIVE Volunteer Team knows how to get it done!

Spotter Tim (Team Praxair),
Dude…. This was without a doubt the toughest spotting job yet. Thank you for keeping a good sense of humor and still doing a great job calling cars in the pitch black. Next night race we’re outfitting you with infra-red goggles! You are always there to help out Tim, and Amy and I really appreciate all that you do for off roading in Plaster City (MDR too!!!)

CHK 1
Joaquin, Edgar, Becky (and son) did a great job in a section of the course that got pretty silty as the night wore on. Thanks Joaquin and Edgar for going the distance and putting up with the bug action from the Light tower and the fresh blanket of silt donated to your checkpoint by every vehicle that came through… You guys did great!

Rover 8
Luis Arellano and his cousin ran all over the East side of the course. They did an incredible job relaying information to DRIVE Main, and were the first responders to an accident in the final hours of the race. Thanks for coming out Luis. It was great seeing you in “volunteer mode”. You get through some pretty sticky areas in that rig of yours!!! Also, thanks for bringing the KILLER guacamole and salsa to the DRIVE Volunteer BBQ/ Volunteer Meeting.

CHK 2
John, Davin, Chuck, and Truman were out on the lakebed all night running checkpoint 2. Again, the dust was a MAJOR factor at this checkpoint and all you guys did a great job putting up with the dust for the whole night. Both check 1 and check 2 were on the East side of Plaster City and I think the proximity to the fields and agriculture made it “bug central” for these guys. The light towers were like beacons for the hundreds of thousands of bugs!!! Thanks for toughing it out and doing an awesome job. We are looking forward to seeing you guys at the next DAY race ☺

CHK3
Ric Sanchez and just about his whole family were out at Checkpoint 3. Thank you very much for coming out to support DRIVE and getting the family and friends involved. There is nothing easy about manning a position during a night race. The hours, the darkness, the dust, and on top of it the bugs. When we came by at the end of the night to check on you guys and hand out energy drinks everyone was still fired up to be there. Thanks for volunteering and great attitude!

Road Crossing 3
Jesse Gannon and his brother took care of RC 3. They did one hell of a job keeping non-race traffic safe and helping racers that got stuck in the sandy wash near the trestles. It was a long night and you guys were troopers!

CHK 4
Ryan Haugley and crew had just about the most difficult checkpoint to get out to. It was up on a mesa with one way up, and one way down. Both ways SUCKED if you didn’t have 4X4. Ryan, thanks for getting up there (in 2WD!!!) and running an awesome checkpoint. The X-mas lights you put up coming into the check were a very nice touch ☺. You and your friends did a great job. Thanks also to Beardesigns for sponsoring this remote outpost checkpoint with great food and prizes!

Also a HUGE thanks to Brian Wiley (Rover 76) and Joe and Joseph Stokes (Rover 7). The gnarliest spot on the course was the approach to Check Point 4. It was a silt bed right before a 45+ degree hill climb to the CHK 4 out post. Brian spent almost the whole night pulling people out of that silt in his Cherokee. Brian is a off road Terminator. Joe and crew in the ORW jeep kept a close eye on everything, relaying info to DRIVE main and helping racers at the CHK 4 pit as well as the rest of the South West side of the course.

Road Crossing 4 (Naked Man Crossing!?!?!)
These guys had the most eventful night of anyone. When Amy and I stopped by during the race to drop off food and drinks one of the guys mentions that I should watch out for their little friend. I look over in the direction he was pointing and there’s a rattlesnake coiled up near a bush!!!! “he’s O.K. all night he’s been following us around….” That was surprising, but nothing compared to what happened after we left…. A naked guy comes running out from the bushes and tries to get in one of the cars parked at the Road Crossing!?!?! The DRIVE Volunteer Team is not afraid of snakes…. Or weird naked guys trying to steal a car! They beat him back with STOP signs and he eventually ran back into the desert. How is that for random????

Road Crossing 4 you guys were a blast. Thank you for coming out to support DRIVE and thanks for doing a great job!

Thanks you to all the rovers that I could not get photos of:

Avery, Eddie Hayes and family, Gary Estrada, John Marlin, and Larry Cox. One of these days I will achieve my goal of getting action shots of ALL the DRIVE Team Volunteers. Until that day I just want to say that you guys do an incredible job keeping the course safe and keeping DRIVE Main aware of everything that is going on.

Again, thank you so much to all the volunteers that help make DRIVE possible. Amy and I cannot express in words the gratitude that we feel toward each of you and I can only hope that a small part of it comes through at the Volunteer meeting and when we come around to see you during the race.

DRIVE Volunteers make off road racing awesome!

See you all in the desert!

-Brian & Amy

FCORR

Reaction
Nice write ups! These were fun to read! Thanks again to all the volunteers, sounds like you guys had as much adventure as us racers! haha

prscott7

Reaction
Check 3 had an amazing time out there. Thanks for the pics, hope to see you guys at the next race!

Brian & Amy

Reaction
Check 3 had an amazing time out there. Thanks for the pics, hope to see you guys at the next race!
Paul,
Thank you very much for coming out to volunteer for the Night Race. Like I have said before. The night race is by far the toughest event from a volunteer standpoint. I had to laugh when I looked at your avatar picutre. I remember taking that photo of you guys at the Trophy Lite race :D

Thanks again for making these races possible!

-Brian & Amy

Off Road Warehouse

Reaction
Joe and Joseph, Thank you for not only helping us as volunteers by pulling people out and acting as the eyes and ears of DRIVE Main through the night, but also with the equipment that helped us run the race! It’s pretty cool to see companies offer material support and then top it off by actually coming to the race and spending their own weekend getting dusty as volunteers!!! Thanks to Clairemont Equipment Rental and Off Road Warehouse. You guys are incredible.
Always glad to help, we had a blast out there as well, and we look forward to the next race. We should hopefully continue to bring out the Jeep to help out as much as possible. Thanks for your support as well from DRIVE.

Off Road Warehouse

Reaction
Also. I know someone else lost one as well, but if anybody at all has any information pertaining to the whereabouts to our ORW Banner. We would greatly appreciate it. We had 2 banners up along the start/finish line and when we rolled in at 4am, we were left with only one banner remaining. If you took it, please give it back to either us the next time you see the Jeep in Plaster City, or please return it at the next race. We would appreciate that greatly. Thanks!

SicRic

Reaction
What a great event. When we got there (Check 3) it was pretty hot, but when the race started the weather got much better and all thru the night the weather was great. We heard the warning "the snakes are out" no soon as that was said, we spotted a few sidewinders, some went under our feet. I've never seen our guys move that fast!!!

Brian & Amy

Reaction
Also. I know someone else lost one as well, but if anybody at all has any information pertaining to the whereabouts to our ORW Banner. We would greatly appreciate it. We had 2 banners up along the start/finish line and when we rolled in at 4am, we were left with only one banner remaining. If you took it, please give it back to either us the next time you see the Jeep in Plaster City, or please return it at the next race. We would appreciate that greatly. Thanks!
Joseph,
Sorry about the banner. Hopefully someone will return it. Thank you very much for coming out to support the race. The ORW guys are great and having you and your Dad out there really helped keep the West side of the course safe for racing.

Thanks again

-Brian & Amy

Brian & Amy

Reaction
What a great event. When we got there (Check 3) it was pretty hot, but when the race started the weather got much better and all thru the night the weather was great. We heard the warning "the snakes are out" no soon as that was said, we spotted a few sidewinders, some went under our feet. I've never seen our guys move that fast!!!
Ric,
The story of the night with every checkpoint and road crossing we visited to hand out food and drinks was "Watch out for the snakes!"

I guess they wanted to come out and support DRIVE as well :D

Thanks again for sticking it out and staying up till 3:00AM!

-Brian & Amy

dwasser

Reaction
I just wanted to add a few.

Thank you Brian and Amy for taking the time to put this together and for everything else you two do.

FiberwerX......You guys are great!

Thanks to all the media that came out to snap some great shots. TNT, Durka Durka and CandC. Zoom...Thanks for putting the camera down to be a rover.

Thanks to Alpha Site Logistics and SMD for the Port-o's and water truck.

Thanks to the McCallum's and Larry Cox for getting us the water for the water truck.

Thanks to PCI for once again providing us with all the com equipment we needed.

Thanks to Ben Abatti and Cole Mammer for the Trophy Kart show before the race.

Thanks to Jan, Tracey, and my wife for sitting in the hot timing trailer and recording everyone's times until after 4 AM.

Thanks to all the contingency sponsors for supporting the racers and the series.

Thanks to 1450.org for coming out and racing with us as well as all the racers.

And a very sincere thank you to Larry and Tracey Cox for sticking it out all day even when tragedy stuck so close to home on Saturday morning. For those that don't know, Larry lost his best friend and his best friends two sons on Saturday morning. Larry and Tracey stayed all day and night while dealing with the tragedy. Please click on the link below to read the story and maybe chip in a few bucks to help the family.

http://townselfuneralfund.chipin.com/townsel-funeral-fund