Driveline Help

Jordan

My driveline was shaking badly so I took it in today for some work. Turns out the Carrier Bearing was shot and the Driveshaft was out of balance. Both were fixed in a timely manner (same day).

So I drive away and I notice that now I have a vibration making the steering wheel shake at 60mph and I can also feel it in my seat (ofcourse I have a cage so feel everything). I call the Driveline Shop and he tells me to bring it back. We get back there and he removed the whole driveline and put it back on the balancer and shows me its perfect. Very nice guy. Put it all back on but the vibration is still there.

He said that is common from time to time when going from a blown/sloppy driveline to a new tight one. You tend to feel alot more than you did before. My front tires are also shot so he said you may feel that more now too.

Im confused because the vibration wasnt there before I dropped it off. The shop and guy were very cool and very nice and do alot of the teams trucks including some TT teams. I just dont know what to think? New tires go on the front tomorrow so hope that helps but I am not convinced its the tires.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

yotatech

sounds to me like a tire balance prob. Usually around 60 or so the will be a vibration from the front when their out of balance. Also maybe you threw a weight in that time. Hope its better after tires.

Jordan

I was considering that too but since it wasnt there before thats whats throwing me for a loop. Damnit! haha

yotatech

Thats why i was thinking maybe it threw a weight while driving. Ive had that happen on my truck when all of the sudden theres a bad vibration. Just had to put 10 oz on one side of the wheel to fix it. lol

martininsocal

Well, you said your driveline was shaking reallybadly, maybe now that it is not, the vibrations in the front are noticeable where before they were being cancelled out by the vibrations from the rear.

Jordan

could be but it never shook at 60mph before and the shakin before was only during takeoff from a stop to about 20 mph.

michael_loomis

did they take it for a test drive ?? my the beat the piss out of it on the test drive lol ...j/k

ya i've had wheel weights come off a few times and you would never believe the difference , especially with bad tires. i used to run over curbs and stuff , but have since stopped as it makes the balance issue a lot worse.

gary

i'm gonna throw this out there about the tires, although i doubt how much it applies to all terrains and mud terrains unless they're seriously bald (kinda thread hi jacking, sorry)
according to michelin testing, always place 1 or 2 new tires in the rear, best of the left overs up front. reason being, more tread in the back makes you less likely to spin/hydroplane in water on the the road, as the extra tread depth keeps water channeling out of the tire, instead of getting between the tire and the road. we've got a video by michelin at work, shows cars cornering in the wet...its kinda cool, actually. 2 identical bmw's (rear drive), one with worn tires up front, new in back, and the other vice versa. worn fronts tracks fairly straight thru water, while worns on backs spins out like mad at the same speed. they also show front drivers (chevy luminas, i think) and the same applies. at the end, they show you the worn tires, and they're actually about 1/2 tread, not that bald at all. same applies with blow outs-you have more vehicle control with a front blow out than a rear, and older tires are more succeptable to blow outs....just something to think about. i can maybe get a copy of it (it's a file on the computer at work) if anyone's interested (i doubt it)...just something to think about on the daily drivers/wive's cars....
as for the vibration, i have no ideas for ya...sorry
bent rim(s)? balance problems? i'd suggest check the idler arms in the steering, but i dont know if they wear out on tacos like they do older toys, but that wouldnt explain why it popped up now. i'd guess you didnt notice it as the rear vibes were cancelling out the fronts, as previously stated. my worn steering causes all kinds of fun, from vibrations to crazy toe in while reversing...

tedmales

that just goes against everything i was taught to believe in, i was always told good tires on front in case of an emergency. but what was said makes sense. maybe i will split the difference and go one and one to even things out.

martininsocal

Yeah- there has been a change in the theory of safety, not neccessarily for the right reasons. It came about through litigation...people started sueing when they crashed bacause they can't drive. The idea was you always wanted the best tires on the front so you could STEER through water and avoid the understeer problem of head on collisions. Now, since people have lost the concept of safest speed for conditions, spin outs have become a bigger problem and some A$$ sued because his bald tires on the rear caused him to lose control of his vehicle on a wet surface and a jury awarded him a gazillion dollars, even though he was found partly at fault.Seems that the recomendation from the vehicle manufacturer and tire dealer told him to put the best tires up front. So there has been a shift in phylosophy to protct the bottom line.

Dave_G

RE: "Turns out the Carrier Bearing was shot and the Driveshaft was out of balance. Both were fixed "

I assume the only thing they did to the driveshaft was ballance it?? or did they do more to it like replace a splined end, yoke etc..?? Could have the ends out of phase if they rebuilt it.

Dave

Jordan

they just balanced it thats all didnt replace anything but the carrier bearing.

well new tires went on today and the vibration is still there! funny thing its only when I am at 60-70mph and when I am cruising at 60 and drop it out of overdrive so the rev is higher it stops vibrating. anything?

Dave_G

Jordan,
I think it's still going to be your drive shaft. It's highly suspicious to me that it didn't vibrate until they "balanced" it. Their statement about things shaking more after a tight new driveline also doesn't pass the smell test. Take it somewhere else and have it checked and inspected.

Dave

gary

yeah, the tire manufacturers did some heavy homework after the incidents with the explorer roll overs. tire shop procedures (at least at my company) have changed a lot, and we do exactly what the tire maker and vehicle builder say to. if the tire you want for your vehicle isnt listed as an optional/manufacturer recommeded size for your vehicle, we wont put it on. same with speed ratings on tires. we dont wanna be at fault for the accident, if a lawyer decides it was caused by the wrong tires on the vehicle.
in the video, the cars are taking turns of varying degrees in the wet at all different speeds, up to maybe 40-50mph, to prove their theories. if you're going faster than that making hard turns in the wet, you're asking for trouble anyways...
i agree i'd rather steer out of a head on collision, but maybe with air bags and crumple zones and mandatory seat belts and what ever else is in new cars these days, the head on isnt as bad as it used to be? as opposed to say an ungodly heavy 70's lincoln, which hits something, doesn't crumple, and all the energy is transferred to the occupants, sending them forward and thru the windshield, since seatbelts were optional ???? just a guess there, i'm no nhtsa worker...

tedmales

my pops always told me not to judge anyone by what they drive, but what kind of tires they had. if it was a fancy newer car with 3 differnt tires, or bald tires then they are in it for the look. an old beater with 4 new tires, he is in it to get from here to there the best they can. i will just try not to have any bald tires. the discount tire road hazzard is king.

Jordan

Called and left a msg for the shop to let them know that with the new tires the truck still shakes. He just called me back (suprised) and said he shouldnt have to justify himself to me. In his words "I do Terrible Herbst and Riviera and so forth". I told him well man the truck vibrates when it did not before I brought it to your shop. He suggests that I take it in Monday, he puts my old carrier bearing back in and gives me a refund.

What the hell is this nonsense? Do I go back and have him do that or just go somewhere else? Im pissed.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
take it somewhere else and get it fixed then take him the bill...if he is a no go...go to BBB

Jordan

there are 3 sets of arrows on the driveline that accomodate everything being inline and they all are inline. Matt (BRpunkrock) just emailed me something to test. He was explaining to me how at 60mph your driveshaft spins at the same speed no matter what gear you are in. So, I just went for a drive and in 4th it vibrated, 3rd it vibrates but much less and 2nd no vibration all at 60mph. So if it isnt my driveshaft it has to be something in the driveline. Still could be the carrier or he was saying maybe the rear trans bearing. [daddy didnt love me] im lost maybe I will go for a free AAMCO transmission inspection and see what they say.

yur call is right too Kritter if I eliminate some other possibilities I will get a 2nd opinion and see what happens.

Dave_G

RE: ""I do Terrible Herbst and Riviera and so forth". "

If it's the guy who does Terrible Herbst drive shafts TAKE IT SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!!!!!!

Dave

martininsocal

Jordan- if teh vibration get less and less at the same speed with a different gear, look at the trans...maybe time for a rebuild and a new counter shaft and bearings(I know, it sucks!) The gears you usually run the most in(freeway gears) are the ones you wear out the soonest. From the output shaft back, everything spins the same regardless of gear you are in (unless you have a 2spd rear) so it is most likely in front of there. Good luck, and go somewhere else, anyone who says (after they work on your car) they don't have to justify themselves to you is trying to avoid the issue.