On Topic Driving on an old race course

bajadreamer

Reaction
I’ve been a volunteer (prep/chase)for a race team for 9-10 seasons and I’ve only been able to see the race course from the pits and driving from pit to pit... never been able to get a ride in a race car on the race course at any time. We absolutely love the sport and just would like to get some kind of taste of it.

My question is is it possible to ride the course during NON-race time? is it open to the public? We have a couple of UTVs and we’ve always wanted to just go out some weekend and cruise a lap around the Parker 425 race track, (it doesn’t have to the exact course but maybe the bigger part of it)... we live in Oklahoma so we don’t have anything like that here(except for dunes). It’s on our bucket list to go out and camp somewhere near the track and load all our gear and extra fuel and food and go see what it’s all about, we aren’t getting any younger and can’t afford to do the whole race thing so we thought we would at least maybe be able to go out and ride around and see what it’s like...
(trying to find out all the info we can before we make the 20hr journey)
Thanks in advance for any information

(If not Parker maybe Laughlin or ??)

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
I’ve been a volunteer (prep/chase)for a race team for 9-10 seasons and I’ve only been able to see the race course from the pits and driving from pit to pit... never been able to get a ride in a race car on the race course at any time. We absolutely love the sport and just would like to get some kind of taste of it.

My question is is it possible to ride the course during NON-race time? is it open to the public? We have a couple of UTVs and we’ve always wanted to just go out some weekend and cruise a lap around the Parker 425 race track, (it doesn’t have to the exact course but maybe the bigger part of it)... we live in Oklahoma so we don’t have anything like that here(except for dunes). It’s on our bucket list to go out and camp somewhere near the track and load all our gear and extra fuel and food and go see what it’s all about, we aren’t getting any younger and can’t afford to do the whole race thing so we thought we would at least maybe be able to go out and ride around and see what it’s like...

People are out goofing off at laughlin all the time. Same with Parker but Parker is on Indian land. @Ol' Curmudgeon is on here regularly and knows more about this stuff than most. he can give ya some help.

Reaction
Either buy a permit from the CRIT office, or stick to BLM lands. You won't miss much in the latter case, IMHO.

Go in a cool month, leave word with a responsible as to where you are going and when you plan to return, don't go alone, leave gates as you find them, and watch for oncoming traffic. Take a gallon of water per person per day.

Have fun.

Last edited:

J Prich

Reaction

You could run 99% of the Mint 400 course just about any day of the year.

EDIT - If we can get an issue with our brakes sorted out we could probably throw you in for a ride in our race truck too depending on timing.

harleys dad

Reaction
I have ridden the California side of the Parker 400 course in my RZR, even found a piece I broke on my race car decades earler. The slab as they called it is still there, thunder ally, the rock garden....brought back all kinds of memories as my first time was 1976, no one bothered us all day, I find it ridicules they dont race there anymore

bajadreamer

Reaction
Either buy a permit from the CRIT office, or stick to BLM lands. You won't miss much in the latter case, IMHO.

Go in a cool month, leave word with a responsible as to where you are going and when you plan to return, don't go alone, leave gates as you find them, and watch for oncoming traffic. Take a gallon of water per person per day.

Have fun.
Thank y’all for the info! I do really appreciate it! I definitely will not go out there without several backup plans straps fuel, shovels and lots of water and Oreos .. we will have our Mom that will be in the motor home monitoring the radio (we have the good PCI stuff) if we have any major issues. We definitely plan on doing it during the coolest months.. it’ll also probably turn out to be a larger group once our racing teams find out, they all have prerunners and super big money UTVs... maybe even a few trophy trucks that might end up out there... I just gotta start saving $$
Also I’ll keep everyone posted on the date we end up shooting for, if someone wants go with us . It’s always better to have trail buddies for sure
If the permit isn’t crazy expensive I definitely want to go that route so we don’t make anybody mad... we will respect the land and community we always pack out what we bring in we definitely try to leave it better than we found it...

I’m getting excited now thanks again everyone!

43mod

Reaction
I know you know this and its much more of a hassle to get there but Baja is open . I should run down and run around the same time you do at Parker ETC but being a workaholic prevents this. Have a great time whatever you do.

E-ROC

Reaction
I live near the Hammers and do volunteer course work (recovery and sweep) for Ultra4, B.I.T.D., and M.O.R.E. racing.
Any time you want to come out and play, I would be happy to download the race course maps on your gps and show you around if you want. LOTS of race course running out there, dry lakebeds to go top speeds, and really cool mining history too.
It's open land with no permits or restrictions for us. Just respect the military boundaries (clearly marked) and have a great time!

BajaFand

Reaction
Thank y’all for the info! I do really appreciate it! I definitely will not go out there without several backup plans straps fuel, shovels and lots of water and Oreos .. we will have our Mom that will be in the motor home monitoring the radio (we have the good PCI stuff) if we have any major issues. We definitely plan on doing it during the coolest months.. it’ll also probably turn out to be a larger group once our racing teams find out, they all have prerunners and super big money UTVs... maybe even a few trophy trucks that might end up out there... I just gotta start saving $$
Also I’ll keep everyone posted on the date we end up shooting for, if someone wants go with us . It’s always better to have trail buddies for sure
If the permit isn’t crazy expensive I definitely want to go that route so we don’t make anybody mad... we will respect the land and community we always pack out what we bring in we definitely try to leave it better than we found it...

I’m getting excited now thanks again everyone!
I’ve ran around Parker several times and never worried about a CRIT pass but I suppose it wouldn’t be hard to get although I’m not sure where you buy one. The only part of the course I can think of not being accessible is the gravel pit area. I believe they only open that section during the race weekends as that land belongs to the mining company, but it’s not very much you just have to find a way around. You can also go visit the desert bar during the winter months and there is plenty of riding area on the CA side too.

bajadreamer

Reaction
You could run 99% of the Mint 400 course just about any day of the year.

EDIT - If we can get an issue with our brakes sorted out we could probably throw you in for a ride in our race truck too depending on timing.
That would be a dream come true!
Unbelievable how cool the offroad community can be , Thank you for the offer! Maybe the moons will align and we can make it out there Sir!

J Prich

Reaction
That would be a dream come true!
Unbelievable how cool the offroad community can be , Thank you for the offer! Maybe the moons will align and we can make it out there Sir!
Don't get me wrong, our race truck is nothing to get excited about, lol. If you're hanging out with folks with TT's, etc, you'll be underwhelmed. Some of those UTVs might smoke our truck, ha ha. But regardless, if you ever make the trip out to Vegas/Jean, let me know.

bobylax

Reaction

Parker would be a good one to "post" run right after a race. 90% of the course is on BLM land, so if you don't want to mess with getting a permit or possibly getting hassled by the CRIT Police, start on the course eastbound right after the cattle guard on Shea Road. (the big roller section) If you make your run shortly after the race, it's not difficult to follow the course. We start pulling course markers Sunday morning, but following 40" tire grooves is pretty easy. If you go later in the year, it might be helpful to get a GPS download of the course, as some of the course is public access and gets bladed, so it would be easy to miss a turn. To be honest, there are some fun sections on CRIT land with some great views of the river, but in my opinion, wouldn't be worth the trouble, as they start blading most of the course on Indian land Sunday after the race. Inbound on the course, when you get through the goat trail and back into Osborne Wash, when you get to the high tension power lines, hang a left, go back up the sandy drop-off into Osborne and that will take you back out to Shea Road, otherwise you'll be into CRIT land. Be aware that on the Parker course, communication with a "home" base might be difficult. Kieth sits atop "P" mountain, and needs a repeater to reach some of the remote eastern sections of the course. If the team you're with races, or wants to race the Parker 425, your best option would be to sign up for the pre-fun-run in January. You get to see the whole course, (not at speed, and you'll eat a lot of dust in a UTV. as it's a day after the Parker 250) and you'll get lunch and a T-shirt.

Laughlin is a pretty short loop, several organizations use that course, and they vary a bit, and it would only take you 30 minutes to get around it. Not sure if the infield would be accessable. And again, there is some grading in some portions post race on this course.

ORR183

Reaction
You got my number okie kook! Just say when you guys are headed west

loufish

Reaction
Stick to cooler months (yeah...and I'm running with the ROC to Tonopoh in July...maybe you shouldn't listen to me..ha...ha ) and find some other vehicles to join you...

bajadreamer

Reaction
Don't get me wrong, our race truck is nothing to get excited about, lol. If you're hanging out with folks with TT's, etc, you'll be underwhelmed. Some of those UTVs might smoke our truck, ha ha. But regardless, if you ever make the trip out to Vegas/Jean, let me know.
I can’t tell you how much that I don’t care if it’s some glamorous expensive equipment.... I don’t care if it’s a barely running class 11 or a stock ranger with stickers... I’m a purist type of enthusiast... they all are awesome in my eyes, I personally know the effort involved in the preparation and the cash it eats just to show up...the gesture is MUCH respected Sir.. I would feel like a rockstar in your truck

Thank you to everyone’s advice I will take it seriously if I ever get lucky enough to get back out there again

DONALD MACE

Reaction
Ridgecrest is another place you can go almost any time. Wagon wheel is a ohv area.