Driving Skills 101

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
Since we got the Lower Links 101 thread going, how about some people (with experiance) post some general driving tips so us flatbill wearing, truck jumping, pedal to the metal, punk kids have less of a chance rolling our trucks?

Tip #1 - Don't drive your truck near Austin, he likes to nerf.

Race-Dezert Anonymous - Step #1:
"Hello, my name is Jason. And I'm a Race-Dezertaholic."

Eric_M

Reaction
"Tip #1 - Don't drive your truck near Austin, he likes to nerf."

would you like to share with the rest of us what happenes when austin spots you and you try and run from him jason??

stupid people shouldnt breed!

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
He is relentless like a lion hunting his prey.

For the record when he was chasing me in Barstow he never caught me until I came to a stop, then he nerfed me :)

hxckidd

Reaction
that is true but jason was trying to hide behind other trucks, like a little kid. lol just take the nerf and get it over with.

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
So anyways...Driving Skills 101...

(punches people hijacking thread)

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
PRERUN, even if you go out every weekend, things change out there all the time especially when it has been raining or very windy or even due to a high volume of people.

"Those who risk nothing, are nothing."

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
personally i have talked with dan vance a he has told me some useful things. like dont let off at thwe lip of the jump. keep the front up by throttleing in the air so ya dont do a nose dive. i have tried these but unless your jumping something huge or at least something relativly big like a table top type thing i found just hit it and usually its ok no matter what you do. if you ride a dirtbike its bacially the same thing brake to bring the front down throttle to big the front up.

Gregg

In_the_works

Reaction
I believe it's also as important NOT to be gassing it when you land. Very hard on the drivetrain. Anyone back me up on this? Or am I full of $#!+?

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab
'02 Maico 250
'03 Sonoma
Look at me! I'm a member.

Brian Mapes

Reaction
Yea, and same with braking. And i would assume steering too, if you have the wheels cranked hard could break a steering component. but only if you land hard enuf.

You gots to pay da cost to be da boss. - Snoop

Donahoe

Reaction
Tip #3 Dont listen to me... I crash ALOT!

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

desertracer

Reaction
From my minimal experience driving our car and ridin shotgun for many more miles I have learned a few things. As far as jumping what was already said, it is like a motorcycle, keep the power on through the lip of the jump, set the suspension and don't let it unload before you take off, then once in the air try to match wheel speed with the speed relative to the ground. Key is don't pin it, found out the hard way that bus boxes don't like this. In the whoops try to stay on the gas. We have found it better to be in a lower gear at a higher rpm than a higher gear with lower rpm. It keeps the weigh transfer towards the back and allows the front end to float over the bumps. Don't try to over correct, the biggest problem seems to be over driving the car, let it track where it wants to go and make small adjustments from there. Other than that just learn to read the terrain and know what you car/ truck can handle and push it to that limit without going to far over.

MDR #112

In_the_works

Reaction
Would braking in midair work to bring your nose down in a truck? I know it works with dirtbikes because you use the rear brake and it stops the rotation of the rear wheel and forces the front down, but would it work with braking 4 wheels at the same time?

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab
'02 Maico 250
'03 Sonoma

Brian Mapes

Reaction
Lets have some one go big and try it.Hah

You gots to pay da cost to be da boss. - Snoop

drtdevil93

Reaction
yes it works. a couple things ive picked up on:

if you have a good amount of anti-dive in the front, dont hit the brakes in the whoops, or when you are going to hit something you dont want to.
like said before, in the whoops, lower gear-higher rpm. if you need to slow down engine braking is more effective this way.
if hitting something is inevitable, slow down as much as you can, and get back on the gas before you hit it.
i agree with not overdriving the truck. it needs a little independence. if it wants to veer to the right a little, dont jerk it the other way. smoothly put pressure in the other direction.

erik

desertracer

Reaction
Like drtdevil93 said when you get on the brakes too hard as a last resort to escape something you end up doing more harm by allowing the front suspension to dive right into the object and it also takes away from the amount of up travel you have to actually absorb the bump. I could not agree more with the fact of getting on the brakes hard then punching it to fly up over the bump.

MDR #112

evan_clanin

Reaction
i was always told bye my grandfather who raced along with my father to tap the brakes right befor a big lip and it will compress the suspenion a little bit

Can blind people be dyslexic when they read Braille?

curt

Reaction
From my viewpoint as a mechanic, sometimes 40mph is faster than 50mph. Look at any regular non factory class, how many people even finish? Knocking the speed back 10% and having no problems is way faster than sitting by the side of the road fixing something. Parts fail drivers, but more often drivers fail parts. The fastest truck doesn't always win, the fastest one who survives does. Curt

VORRA Class 7

In_the_works

Reaction
On the topic of hitting the brakes b4 a bump, just try it when you're going over a speed bump. Hit em hard, then let off about a foot before your front tires hit it, your susp. will be rebounding and the bump will be much smoother.

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab
'02 Maico 250
'03 Sonoma

elcaprerunner

Reaction
Okay, so what about driving in the dust?.... Say you are racing and you are starting to come up to a car ahead of you... What do you do while catching up? What do you do when driving close behind him waiting for the oppurtunity to pass? How can you tell the right oppurtunity to pass? How do you pass? How do read the terrain in heavy dust? Do you slow down? Do you try to move to side a little bit where it is less dusty so that way you don't have to slow down? How close do you get to the car in front of you before you actually see amber dust light?

DIRT'S FOR RACING, PRERUNNERS ARE FOR GETTING THERE!

H.O.R.E.
Hemet Off-Road Enthusiasts

desertracer

Reaction
This one is a bit hard to give an exact answer to because all situations are different but I'll try. When driving in the dust there is a fine line between just cruzing/ holding back and going all out. Doing to much of one or the other could cause problems. The key to solve the big problem first is pre-running the course so you know of any major dangers. A gps can be a very valuable tool as well because you can drive literally blind. For those of not lucky enough to have a gps you must rely on good judgement. Usually you can see the dust trail of another car several miles before you actually reach them so you have a bit of time to prepair. Once we see a dust trail we start thinking ahead of when we might catch them and what the course is like at that point. As you draw closer and the dust begins to hamper you ability to see try to find any advantage you can such as taking a line up wind of the other car to reveal a clear path. If this doesn't work, you have to make the decision to make a run for it and suck up on them or wait until you know of a line to pass. If you decide to make a run you can't hold back, you just have to do it almost blind and just know that you could hit a huge ditch or rock, but hopefully you know about all the dangers from pre-running. Once you start gaining on them you should start to see the amber light and once you get within sight of this the dust almost clears because you are so close to the back of them. Once you have made it this far it becomes driver preference as to use the horn, alternate line to pass, or as a last resort nerf. On the first lap of a race when the dust is just bad all over it is pretty hard but you just have to run with it. Drive slower when you can't see as well and run like hell when you can. At the night race we had to come to almost a stop because we could not see a foot in front of the car, but the dust settles and you keep going. This is just my experience so far and I still have a lot to learn.

MDR Class 1