Driving Skills 101

robert_encinas

Reaction
i remember the first race i was in , 1990 fireworks 250. i was co-drriver in a 5-1600 and the driver (jesse) would lightly hold his hands on the outside of the wheel and let the car track on its own.this made me nervous at first until i realised that he was in complete control of the car , and the fact that prerunning the course is very important if you want to go fast .manny esquerra also showed me years ago how to go fast in a truck, dont drive the road in the center,drive it to the side to protect your rear end housing from high centering and its smoother.on fast fire roads or sand washes that have lots of tracking marks from tires on other vehicles move the steering from left to right rapidly and evenly, this will allow your vehicle to track straight.

drtdevil93

Reaction
STAY ON THE GAS. brakes can kill you just as easily as they can save you. when im starting to get a little out of control, i stay on the gas until the situation is righted, then smoothly begin decelerating. dont just let off or hit the brakes, doing this takes even more traction ability away from the tires.
its hard to give too much advice, cause most of this stuff is different for every vehicle. what works for an a-arm truck, might not work on an ibeam truck. the most important thing is to get a lot of seat time, and pay attention to what the vehicle does in situations.

erik

Steve_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
Website
www.xyzproductions.com
Here is a situation from first hand experience. When climbing a sand hill that is pretty steep in a 2wd I-beam truck and you get stuck. Just get out and wait for someone to pull you back down. I-Beams dont like to go backwards in sand. It is a waste of time and energy trying to back down. Then when your back down at the bottom offer the guy or girl that pulled you out a beer.

<font color=red>"BIG TYMERS is a state of mind... If you gonna do something, do it big time."</font color=red>

In_the_works

Reaction
What is the deal with Ibeams in reverse? I just put some bent beams on my 4x and when I go in reverse, the nose drops 2-3". Is there an explanation for that?

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab
'02 Maico 250
'03 Sonoma
Look at me! I'm a member.

WFODAN

Reaction
Website
www.chaosfab.com
Caster and Camber.............

As for the driving in dust thing ......... Usually i just put my head down to the left and look out the side window and watch the rutt . Of course you have to know the terrain ( prerun ) to do this . I rely on my co driver to watch for any visability ahead while I'm doing this . I like to charge threw the dust to get it over with asap .

Dan Vance

pciscott

Reaction
Tips for driving fast

#1 stay calm, when you tense up or get uptight you tend to make more mistakes.

#2 Slow hands on the wheel, most people tend to oversteer the trucks. When you see someone go around a turn and they fish it back and forth across the track, this is a result of too much steering. If you have good horsepower you steer more with the throttle than the actual steering wheel. Remember less is more when it comes to steering.

#3 The slow hand also apply to your feet, unless you are trying to jamb the brakes to set up the car smooth gas and brakes will save your drivetrain and keep more power on the ground.

#4 Patience in the dust, more people take themselves out of the race because they can not see where they are going. If you prerun you will remember where the strait places with less rocks are to throttle into the dust light, at this point a light bump or good horn will aid you in the pass.

#5 know where the weight of your car is. You can load your car to help smooth out the track, example: if there is a rain rut on the right if you turn into the rut at the last minute you can weight the outside tire and float over the hole. This is a timing issue, but when you get good at it you can float the car over a small rock without killing your tires.

#6 Get out there and drive! I used to never prerun and barely make it to the race, then because of lack of testing I would have problems during the race. I started getting more seat time and my driving improved.

#7 Never say die! I do whatever it takes to make it to the finish line this gives you invaluable seat time and experience. Some say we cant win so lets pack it in, in my opinion this will hurt you in the long run. Race hours on your vehicle let you learn what your car needs for prep and what could go wrong at the next race.

#8 The more time you spend on the prep, the better you will do in the race. Half the cars have problems that would have been avoided with a better prep job.

#9 Critique your race efforts and learn from your mistakes and keep a hours log on all the parts in your vehicle. I have seen many people have the same problems race after race because they do not Learn from there mistakes.

#10 You have to finish to win, I hear many guys pop off that they had the fastest lap, but if they do not take home the trophy what does this really matter. Anyone can go fast, but few can go fast and make there cars last the whole race.

#11 Commit to a line even if it is the wrong way. Many people realize they are taking the wrong line and at the last second they through the car towards the right line and end upside down. If you do go the wrong way take your time to get back on the course and be careful. I was riding with a guy one time who said right or left, I said left when he was already pointing towards the right and he turned right through a tree to make the left. 2 miles later we were changing a flat.

I could go on, but my wife has dinner ready. Hope some of these tips help you guys out. In my opinion offroad racing can be summed up in three catagories: Experience, Luck, and Natural ability in this order. So if you can't get the hang of it buy a good luck charm and keep on racking up the miles and you will be kicking ass in no time. Sorry for the spelling, I am getting scolded because it is family time. Later, Scott

God Bless America

Scott Steinberger Trophy Truck #7

JasonHutter

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
Hey Scott, wish I had been able to read your post 4 or 5 years ago when I started racing. Have had to learn most of that the hard way! But, I think I am on the right track these days. No pun intended!

Jason

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
Website
www.highrevphoto.com
I definatly agree experiance is a big factor. By NO means am I an experianced driver offroad, but in the short time i have been driving my truck i've learn a lot about my driving style, how to control my truck, and what my truck can't handle. The only way to know that is to get out and drive!

Race-Dezert Anonymous - Step #1:
"Hello, my name is Jason. And I'm a Race-Dezertaholic."

fox_mccloud2000

Reaction
Damn! At least I know what to do now. Hopefully I'll get my Toyota to the track this year. Pray that I do and pray hard! If not I'll tag along with the Fireguys, while I'm on break from college, and have some fun.

-matt-

"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, doubting..."
-Edgar Allen Poe-