Driving Suits

PAB

40's rock!
I would buy a suit that you feel comfortable with while being on fire!
I would second this x's a million.

We all do stupid stuff and I am trying to stop it.....jackets over suits, non fire retardant socks....you know the drill

You can buy lots of safety stuff but you can't buy a new you.

It will hurt the pocket book but a 2 layer suit from a reputable builder is a good idea and I would be thinking about the fact that you will be spending some time in that thing. I love my A-star suits and spent 50 hours in mine (except when laying in my underwear while waiting for the truck to get fixed mid day) at the 2006 Baja 1000.

You can spend $100 and get a "legal" suit and you can also skip the non-required head and neck restraints available in the desert but I would not do either in any class.

my .02

I have also experienced fire first had in relation to cars and it is gnarly

Wilson

Here's the SCORE rulebook quote:

"CR2 Protective Clothing
4 Wheel Vehicles
Driving suits are required that effectively cover the body from the neck to the ankles and wrist. Suits must be manufactured from fire resistant material with the manufacturer's fire resistant label attached. ONE PIECE DRIVING SUITS ARE MANDATORY. Drivers suits must be in good condition and free of damage (i.e. holes, tears, rips, etc.) Driving gloves are recommended and must be made out of leather and/or other fire resistant material containing no holes.
A space 2" high by 4" long located on the upper left chest area of the driving suit must remain open for SCORE's use. SCORE will prescribe at the start of each new season what patches will be placed in this area."

I was told by SCORE tech that you could use a military flight suit as long as it had the "fire resistant material" tag attached..... IMO, that's not a good idea - they are lightweight, single layer suits that offer minimal protection. Don't go cheap on the safety equipment!

D.Anderson155

thanks for the feedback guys, the reason I ask is because I am looking at the alpinestars suits and am wondering which one to get, which model do you have PAB?

charlie_brown

We all do stupid stuff and I am trying to stop it.....jackets over suits, non fire retardant socks....you know the drill
i always liked the trash bag rain suit

Bajades

Cameron, I love my two layer Alpinestar Suit as well, but how can you avoid wearing a jacket over your suit when you have very wet and/or cold conditions. I would have never finished Parker this year had I not thrown my Klim Gortex jacket over my driving suit before the last lap. As it was I still couldn't stop shivering for half an hour after we finished. I've been in plenty of Baja 1000's at night where a jacket is also a must and a driving suit alone (even with nomex underware) just won't cut it.

TreyP

"F" you Bill
You may want to check out UPR, they come to contingency and the have some great deals on their website. Here is a link to what they call the garage sell, some smoking deals on 2 layer suits.

http://www.upr.com/Racing-Suit-Sale-c138.html
X2, great deals on quality suits and they stand behind every one of them.

Buy a Nomex suit not a treated suit. The skin you save is not worth a few hundred bucks.

I always tell people to talk to Art at tech to see what he thinks about suits and safety equiptment. He'll give you no nonsence first hand knowledge about fire safety.:cool:

Kirk_Babbington

Alpinestars
Sparco
Simpson
Puma
Oakley
Impact

All are great products.

Like it was said before, 2 layer nomex is the way to go. I wear a layer of Carbon X under my 2 layer Alpinestars suit for added protection.

Don't forget the SFI rated gloves and shoes/socks. You don't want your Mechanix gloves melted to your hand!

dan200

#BSF200

btshannon

Cameron, I love my two layer Alpinestar Suit as well, but how can you avoid wearing a jacket over your suit when you have very wet and/or cold conditions. I would have never finished Parker this year had I not thrown my Klim Gortex jacket over my driving suit before the last lap. As it was I still couldn't stop shivering for half an hour after we finished. I've been in plenty of Baja 1000's at night where a jacket is also a must and a driving suit alone (even with nomex underware) just won't cut it.
The drag racing dudes wear two piece suits. Why don't you just get a jacket and wear it over your one piece jumpsuit?

AZ1000

2009 DRIVE CHAMP

I grabbed a nylon poncho and had it on before getting in for our 2nd lap at Parker this year, and thought that it wouldn't be cool if it melted on me, took it off and suffered. It sucked, but mucher safer. My suit got so wet there was noway it was going to burn.

Jeff Furrier

ADVERTISER
GP2 I think......
GP1 is the 2 Layer from Alpinestars, great suit.

Call the UPR guys, they can get you the most for your budget. Safe stuff starts about 250.00, 400.00-600.00 will get you safe and a little cooler, 600.00-1500.00 gets you whatever you want!

We'll have some special deals on overstock Alpinestars, Sparco, Momo and other at the TT250.

We also will have fueling aprons that will repel fuel and and not burn like your jeans, which some of you guys are using while dumping gas.

kenaroo