Driving Technique

Fifty

Reaction
I come from the road racing world... and was even a pursuit driving instructor for a few years.

I’ve done a few events now in a relatively stock Colorado ZR2, trying to learn/figure out what it needs vs throwing money blindly.

I seem to have a hard time finding s groove when bumps start to get big and constant. Unless I get to a walking speed of up down up down up down, it just seems to upset and bounce the front while the rear just goes every which way but forward.

Granted, with 9/10 inches of travel I know that’s a huge problem; adding hydraulic bumps helped tremendously. So outside or rather combining with adding more travel to the truck as funds allow:

Is there any resources for driving in the desert fast? Mostly trails through Nevada with much more capable raptors etc etc.

For road racing there are tons of reference materials like “going faster” etc etc...

Even motox has techniques for riding whoops etc, late Apex being the norm etc etc etc.

So anything to help me rewrite my brain toward dirt and bumps at speed? As well as more dirt time.

OFFRD-JNKIE

Reaction
I'm not a driver but have been around a year or two, I know a lot of guys go to their local roundy round track and get seat time that helps them with the set up into corners in the dirt. I also know a good number of drivers have gone to the Dirtfish driving school up in Washington which they all say helped a lot.

The biggest thing that most will recommend is seat time, the more you drive the better you'll get.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Well, it sounds like you are simply over driving the truck's capabilities. First thing is look at spring rates and shock valving, but with limited travel and a basically stock truck, you are already limited as to performance and speed. Trucks tend to be way under sprung and under shocked on the front due to the weight and heavily sprung in thr rear due to expected loads in the bed. When they aren't heavy, they are too stiff.

Reaction
Brake before you reach obstacles, accelerate when appropriate to lighten front end, test/practice above 80% of capability, compete below 80%.

The slowest car to cross the finish line first is always the winning strategy off road.

51rcr

Reaction
like said above. you can only drive that so hard. it has its limits. They all do. At what point is trying to go faster harder on equipment for the speed difference. Desert is so much different then pushing hard all the time like most other forms of racing. I guess you could say the regular racer that you would say is patient would make it as a desert racer. The go fast on the edge, broke or crashed.
A TT has way more power then a 6100, same truck different power and will drive different. Throw your money towards a UTV, hard to beat for cost and work and what you can do with it.

cynicwanderer

Reaction
only have motorcycle references... but I suspect it's pretty much the same when it comes to off road, especially whoops. the only real technique for whoops is seat time and pretty much the suspension limits how fast you can go in most vehicles. each whoop section is different, so having a lot of experience with different sections is better than just getting good with one whoop section by doing it over and over, in my experience.

jon coleman

Reaction
did 1700 cls for a while, springs rates Biggest factor in getting it to dance on top of woops, bump stops dont get it done until your ' dancin' then,,, oh shi-!, next is valving, bypass shx a must.also bs need to be 2" stroke. use All the travel possible.also after run feel shocks ( carefull they burn), if fnt or rear temps drastically different, one end working harder than the other. you want truck to feel like rear is sinking the faster u go and the front gets light & fluffy and steers were u point it easily,also #1 rule fast in the fast, S low in the slow, remember, if you are flying down the same wooped road at 80, do u have run off room or a cliff!cliff? u go at your Very comfortable factor, no cliff and lots of escape routes . flat open desert, then u can go a little past happy place & scare yourself a little.and always use all safty gear testing or evan playin around.race on

jon coleman

Reaction
did 1700 cls for a while, springs rates Biggest factor in getting it to dance on top of woops, bump stops dont get it done until your ' dancin' then,,, oh shi-!, next is valving, bypass shx a must.also bs need to be 2" stroke. use All the travel possible.also after run feel shocks ( carefull they burn), if fnt or rear temps drastically different, one end working harder than the other. you want truck to feel like rear is sinking the faster u go and the front gets light & fluffy and steers were u point it easily,also #1 rule fast in the fast, S low in the slow, remember, if you are flying down the same wooped road at 80, do u have run off room or a cliff!cliff? u go at your Very comfortable factor, no cliff and lots of escape routes . flat open desert, then u can go a little past happy place & scare yourself a little.and always use all safty gear testing or evan playin around.race on
one more thing , brakes, dont use them , no, really , especially if they are touchy lock up specials, u want a braking syst.in desert racing that takes muscle to operate.think about it, your bouncing off top of one woop trying to slow down for nasty bits and wheels in the air locked up and slams into next bump ,#!$@&#,better if wheel not bound up, ' roll' over woop not grind locked up 'thru' the woop.try it testing.i heard a story on brakes , tt driver not fast on test section, so other tt driver showed him how by Not touching brakes at all and was 10 min quicker at barstow test track.hope this helps.

firedog

Reaction
Do what most people don't do! Take the time to go test with your shock manufacture!! They will dial it in for you! There are 2 happy places when running whoops, SLOW, your in control...FAST when you are skipping over the tops. The in-between is rough and sucks...In a stockish type vehicle you will not be able to get up on top of the big whoops, seat time to figure out what your vehicle can and cannot do is gold along with shock tuning!