Driving to Belize x 2

43mod

Reaction
So when the missionary was trying to raise money to bring the 2 vans he had been given to Belize I had a great idea. I could take the van from Elsinore all the way down the West coast of Mexico first w wife. With friends I could take the short bus from Texas all the way down the East coast end of Jan or early Feb .
We could save them 8-10 k in travel cost,do something good and see a ton of new ground.
The question for you guys is have you ever taken anything through Mexico that was not coming back ? The Belize importation the church can handle. The van and bus will not be in my name and may have registration expired,I am checking on this. I will get insurance for Mexico for sure.
Any thoughts ? Good import guys to smooth the way ?

JDDurfey

Reaction
I don't know how it is anymore, but years ago when I left the "free zone" on the main land to go to Copper Canyon they were super strict. I figured it would be like Baja, but it was a totally different animal. We had three bikes in a pick up and that was against the law for some reason and almost didn't let us through. It took me over an hour with my good Spanish to convince them we were not selling them there. They finally let us through, but we were then harassed several more times before getting to our destination.

I would not do it without all your paper work and ducks in a row.

43mod

Reaction
We have gotten travel papers before when going from Texas to Michoacán but not for passing through and not coming back w vehicles not in our name. Being a mini bus will probably complicate things as well.
JD you can join in if you like , we at least wont kill each other over politics .

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
With the amount of old school buss's down in central america, it must not be that hard. Every chicken bus down there started out stateside.