• Forum membership has its advantages....

Driving to Cabo

Baja Jim

We have a friend who needs to drive to Cabo soon and are concerned as they have been hearing stories of people being pulled over police or locals and robbed. Does anyone have any info that they can share? Or anyone who may be driving down soon who they could join and caravan with? Thanks in advance

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Drive a uninsured POS mid 80's station wagon missing miscellaneous body parts loaded with a couple goats inside, kick out the tail lights, loose the exhaust system, burn pemix 10-30 motor oil @ 32 to 1 ratio with pemix green, bust the windshield, ditch the licence plates & drive at night with only one headlight aimed @ the moon............you'll be fine.

jon coleman

old dodge caravan, that would be my weapon of choice, you can sleep in them, and theres seems to be lotts of them w Mex.lic plates in san diego

Slippery P

I heard no one is getting past Guerrero Negro from a buddy of mine who has property in San Juanico. I could be wrong.

johndjmix

I heard from a good friend of mine who works the border area (police) and he told me Baja is BAD right now. Tons of cartel related shootings, etc. As much as a LOVE baja, im keeping away till the military gets back on patrols and this settles down....

--John

Wendell #527

My wife’s friend owns a store in Cabo and she told my wife a month ago to not come down there. This weekend she said it’s starting to get better though. They’re selling beer again. Starting to return to normal.

Curtis Guise

Administrator
We have a friend who needs to drive to Cabo soon and are concerned as they have been hearing stories of people being pulled over police or locals and robbed. Does anyone have any info that they can share? Or anyone who may be driving down soon who they could join and caravan with? Thanks in advance
I just got more info from a friend in San Felipe. He said northern Baja is still in stage 3 lockdown until at least May 30th. Approx 150 people were turned around Fri-Sun this last weekend trying to get south to San Felipe. He gets the police reports each week.

Another friend with a group of people in multiple cars tried to get to "Tony's Camp" south of Ensenada this weekend. It's on the peninsula across from Estero. They have been going every weekend since this started and didn't have any problems until this weekend. Even with proof of ownership some of the group were turned around. Some finally got through after waiting a few hours and new guards started their shift.

So driving to Cabo is not going to happen unless they own property there and it still might be hard to get there from what it sounds like...

You have to have a residence card also. The FMM tourist visa is not essential and not being issued right now.

Map with color-coded 'stoplights' will help determine economic reopening

JDDurfey

So here's how you do it right now...

Cross at Tecate.
Go to Ojos Negros
Go east through Valley T and use Diablo dry lake to access San Felipe
Go down the 5 to Coco's Corner and cut through Frog Canyon to Bay of LA
Go south from Bay of LA to Viscaino
Go south from San Ignacio to San Juanico
Go east to La Purisima and Loretto or
Go south to Insurgentes and points farther south.

This would actually be a fun, but time consuming trip. Might want to have a good Baja vehicle for this trip.

jon coleman

now That is a race, get from TJ to La Paz , with Out authority contact, ( time penalty s for each 'authority' contact, could be fun)