Droop percentage?

camp69

Reaction
In the process of trying to mock up my rear suspension on a caged baja bug with 14" coilovers and 4x5 chromoly trailing arms. Im trying for 18 to 20 of travel but im not sure where I should set my precentage. My baja will be used in the dunes, dezert, mountains any advice would be helpful............ Thanx

Giant Geoff

Reaction
Droop is contingent on a combination horse power and shock dampening.
It you have a high amount of H.P. and dampening you can run more droop.
If you have low H.P. and dampening car you will need less droop.

Lance

Reaction
id worry more about axle angle and ground clearance at bump. wheel travel is tricky with irs. i know it was a pain to get 25 out of our class one car without destroying the cvs

camp69

Reaction
I have some 1/8 tig rod mocked up for angle Im gonna set axle angle at 23 deg bumped and strapped on race prep 930s. With 33 10.50 yokos ive got about 4" ground clearance at full bump. Everything is tacked together but im not happy with shock placement and numbers Im getting thats why Im curious about droop travel. Im running a built 091 and a 200 hp subaru

Lance

Reaction
what size shocks? and try to get the shocks 90 degrees when the arm is bumped. draw a straight line from the outer pivot on the arm and the shock bolt. if you are running a bypass shock in the rear line it up with that shock bolt. the rear of the car should squat when you are on the throttle so your droop travel will be there if the shocks are set up right you should have a smooth ride.

atomicjoe23

Reaction
try to get the shocks 90 degrees when the arm is bumped. draw a straight line from the outer pivot on the arm and the shock bolt. if you are running a bypass shock in the rear line it up with that shock bolt. the rear of the car should squat when you are on the throttle so your droop travel will be there if the shocks are set up right you should have a smooth ride.

Is there anyway you could clarifiy that a little??? What do you mean by the outer pivot on the arm. . .the lower shock pivot on the trailing arm? I'm not clear what should be 90* to what???

I just built a semi-trailing arm set-up for a single seat race buggy and we ended up with 15.5" of rear wheel travel using 12" x 2.0" Fox coilover shocks. . .

. . .we just ran our first race and the passenger side trailing arm bent (barely, but it did bend. . .we were using 1.0" x 0.120" tubing on a 650 lb. buggy. . .that's without the driver). . .so we're gonna have to build at least one new trailing arm. . .we were planning on plating the trailing arms but we ran out of time before the race. . .so since I have to do some re-build anyway I wouldn't mind doing some improvements at the same time. . .

Thanks!

Lance

Reaction
the shock itself 90 degrees with the lower shock bolt and the outside pivot bolt on your torsion housing. it seems to be the best way i have found.

Lance

Reaction
wahingtonian huh..ill be moving there in 17 days if your close to marysville i might have to come take a look at that..

camp69

Reaction
Im not running bypasses but would like to so there will be provisions for them down the road. If you know of any smoking deals on 16" bypasses cheap that would be sweet. Or if any of you racers wanna help a kid out that would be cool.. Was worth a try

atomicjoe23

Reaction
wahingtonian huh..ill be moving there in 17 days if your close to marysville i might have to come take a look at that..
I'll have to see how close it is. . .I just moved up here myself. . .the buggy is at Olympic College in the Weld Shop. . .me and 3 other guys built it in about 30 days for the SAE Baja collegiate competition. . .you would be welcome to come see it anytime. . .

camp69

Reaction
I will come check it out just let me me know when would b good time only about 3 hours away. Always up for a road trip. friend of mine is involved in the baj program at Oregon State University. GO BEAVERS

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Come check it out pretty much any day M-TH from 7:45-noon. . .that's when I'm in class there (Joel. . .just ask if you don't see a guy with sleeves (tattoos) walking around, plus my weld booth is the one right behind the jig table the buggy is sitting on. . .

. . .I will PM you direction on Monday after I double check the building number. . .always look forward to meeting more guys that are in desert racing. . .there aren't that many of us up here in Washington. . .looking forward to the Goldendale race in June though. . .