dry sump automatic trans

brad inch

Reaction
with all the automatic trans failures in off road racing,why not dry sump them?.to keep a even flow.dailey maybe?just thinking out loud.

scottm

Reaction
It definitely makes sense, and it has come up before. The problem is how to drive the scavenge pump. An electric pump would add an additional failure option. Hmm, I suppose you could add an extra scavenge section to the engine oil ds pump, but then you have a lot of extra plumbing. I don't know if most trans failures are due to loss of oil supply, which would drop the internal circuit pressure and cause clutches to slip, or if they are mostly mechanical breakage. I suspect most are parts breakage, since massive power and big tires and constantly leaving the ground were not design considerations when these things were drawn up in the 1960's..

Bert is my name

Reaction
So it looks like it's kind of being done. Just hasn't been fully adopted by transmission builders and racers of automatics.

jon coleman

Reaction
what exactly does dry sump do for an eng. that crosses over to an a- t?, would an accumulator / accusump handle psi fluctuations?, maybe even throw in a big tank and an electric pump to the mixx, make it still function if pump fails, heck, putt two pumps in the tank.just thinking....

Bert is my name

Reaction
A dry sump would be of more use to people driving on extremely steep terrain. The ability to have a fluid volume that is only limited by packaging constraints would allow for cooler and more stable trans temps for longer periods of time. Same benefits as a dry sumped engine. Fluid volume measured in gallons as opposed to quarts.