Dual Bilsteins

TrucksR4Girls

Reaction
Im gonna be getting upper arms pretty soon from a guy who works at camburg and he said to run dual bilsteins. I was wondering if I could just upgrade to a single shock like a 6100 or 7100 since it would be the same price. And how much are downey upper uniballs usually? thanks

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
You mean one 6100 7100 instead of two 5100 (regular) ? If I am not mistaken they should be about the same valving options compared to the 6100 and the 7100. The 6100 are a little better quality than the 5100, and the 7100 are nickle plated and user rebuildable. If you wanted to replace two 2" shocks with one it should be at least 2.5" shock. I don't think that replacing the duals with a single 2" shock will do any good except in the wallet, you will loose the ride quality in the front when you compare the differance between the duals and the singles.

Anyone can escape into sleep, we are all geniuses when we dream.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by ACID_RAIN28 on 12/07/02 06:43 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

TrucksR4Girls

Reaction
Yeah I just want to have the one shock, or is there not much difference. Because if it doesnt make the ride feel a little more smooth then it wont be worth it huh? So should I just do the dual 5100's?

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
With the single shock it will not be able to control the wheel travle as well as it would with the duals. Basicaly it wont handle and ride as smooth.

Anyone can escape into sleep, we are all geniuses when we dream.

Jordan

Reaction
I would go with 1 good prerunner shock over 2, 5100 bilsteins. You should consider some prerunner series shocks over those 5100's. King, SAW, Bilstein and Fox all have nice 2.5" prerunner series shocks that will out perform 2 of the 5100 bilsteins in my opinion. You will spend a little more but never forget you get what you pay for.

"Do it right or pay more later"

Jordan

Reaction
This isnt a coilver/bypass setup like on a racetruck. For a simple bolt-on type suspension I think 1 good shock will do more than 2 of the 5100 bilsteins will. I agree that 2 good shocks will do more then 1 but I would blow those 5100's in one weekend in the desert. In fact I did several times before moving on to good shocks. :)

TrucksR4Girls

Reaction
Yeah thats what im conserned about my brother has the TC kit and it has dual bilsteins and hes blown them a few times. And I dont wanna have to replace them. But the arms only pull 9" bolt in. And then Aries said to cut off the bump stops make it a uniball set up and it could pull up to 12". But If I just use one shock That will just go in the stock mount wont it? unless I wanna go for 12" then ill have to make a shock hoop huh?

Custom_Yota

Reaction
On my toyota I'm runnin dual 10in. 5100's valved at 255/70 Thats a liittle more than what they say to do but it handles so nice. And once you start getting longer a-arms there is more leverage so it pretty much evens out. I would just go with the 5100's it wil only be about $280 for all 4 schocks And thats about what y ull pay for one 2.5

TrucksR4Girls

Reaction
He said to get 8" dual 5100's but i was thinking of getting 10" because if the arms are supposed to pull 12" wouldnt that make more sence?

cleartoy

Reaction
Chelsea is gonna run an aftermarket upper arm only. She cant run a 2.5" or bigger shock!

When i just had upper arms i ran dual FOX 2.0s with res and it was decent.

If your on a budget chels, just get the dual BIL 5100s, they will do just fine!

5100-6100 and 7100 are all 2" shocks.

5100 is non rebuildable with bushing mounts, 6100 has uniballs, 7100 has uniballs, rebuildable, shcrader valve\resivoir.

Downey does not sell uniballs that im aware of. I know they sell high angle upper ball joints that can be had for about half price at your local Pep Boys, Kragen, Auto Zone,. Just ask for MOOG BJs.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

TrucksR4Girls

Reaction
Thanks David. I guess ill just go with the 5100's. And when i get longer arms Ill just upgrade. And I still havnt put the torsion bars on sheeeeesh!! maybe ill come to your house and you can help me eh?? But yeah you have to go out with me to plaster city its gonna be really fun!! Im leaving monday the 30th and coming back the 1st or 2nd, and on the way home im gonna stop in ocotillo. So just tell your boss your taken the days off to go to the desert with a hott chick, haha!! =) talk to you later thanks for all the help

cleartoy

Reaction
Yeah, just go dual Bils 5100s, thats what i put on my gurls truck up front, and it does nice!

I think it will be more of a problem with my gurl than my boss for Plaster! HAHA@!

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

YotaWhoopRunner

Reaction
"i was thinking of getting 10 because if the arms are supposed to pull 12 wouldnt that make more sence? "

Not necessarily, you should cycle your suspension first and then go from there. With a normal shock without bypasses you can run a longer shock with a longer hoop, but there will probably be alot of unused travel in the shock. But with something like a bypass, you would want to maximize the whole travel of the shock or the bypass tubes might not be used and hydraulic zones not reached. Shock travel and wheel travel are different due to different measuring locations.

TrucksR4Girls

Reaction
Hmmm I didnt think about Exie, tell her to go to! Atleast theyll be more people with me in trucks everyone has there race cars! haha
Well thanks everyone I think I got it figured out...kinda! haha

elcaprerunner

Reaction
You might only need an 8" shock. I think alot depends on the mounting position of the shock. For example: My buddy with the white Donahoe Racing Tundra gets 17" of travel out of the front with stock pivot points, yet his coilover/bypass shocks are 8" stroke, in fact his coilover is only 2" diameter, and it has no resevior. Needless to say it works soooooo awesome. Also I though I saw somewhere that Donahoe's old Trophy Truck only race 14" stroke shocks in front and 16"s in the back. But I could be wrong. Any input from the guy who built it.......Kreg?

DIRT'S FOR RACING, PRERUNNERS ARE FOR GETTING THERE!

H.O.R.E.
Hemet Off-Road Enthusiests

jarreptolson

Reaction
what size is his bypass? is he just using the coilover as a coilcarrier? if not it seems a little small for a full size pickup if he plans on doing any serious long range runs.

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
Just ask some one who has a similar kit what the lenght is on the shocks. I am sure that if the arms come from camburg, who ever you get them from will know. On my chevy I Made the upper arm about an inch longer and with the stock ball joint I pull of 11.5" I am going to run dual 10" on the top. they are mounted just behind the ball joint and have about 10-13 degrees of tilt towards the motor, they are pretty much running vertical, and they are set up to follow the caster of the suspension cycle. Anyway, they have plenty of stroke left at full bump and droop.

I would run dual 10" on your truck, no need to run the risk of overextending and overcompresing them. Who ever does the hoops should be able to fiqure out which shock is needed and they don't have to be bought until it is time to install them. It is easy to fiqure out.

TrucksR4Girls

Reaction
There not camburg arms though, the guy who made them just happened to start working there after he made the arms, so he has a bunch of sets let over. Im gonna run 10" 2.0 fox shocks. im pretty sure

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
ahh my mistake i thought you said they were going to be from them through this guy. sorry. I don't think you will be dissapointed with that setup.