dual port heads??

hammer down racing

RDC Crypto
I was wondering if anyone has heard if dual port heads will be allowed in 06 for 1600 cars. Everyone I have talked to has said they haven't heard for sure. We are planning on buying a new motor for next year and don't want to waste the money on a single port motor. Thanks.

Racbaja

RDC Crypto
Website
www.bajacoalition.net
This is second hand info, but a friend talked to Savage and he stated that 1600 will be running dual ports. Major has been doing some dyno work and has stated that there was no significant gain in HP and not to worry about changing if you already have SPs. From what I understand there was some loss in the low end range. Time to experiment with diffrent cams?

ASHCRAFT

Sticky Balls
RDC Crypto
I picked up my new dual port engine from majors performance 3 weeks ago. It has been bought off by savage and is the first legal dual port engine. Laughlin will be the first race in my new 1600.

hammer down racing

RDC Crypto
ASHCRAFT said:
I picked up my new dual port engine from majors performance 3 weeks ago. It has been bought off by savage and is the first legal dual port engine. Laughlin will be the first race in my new 1600.
Are the numbers compareable to a single port motor?

baja_driver

RDC Crypto
Website
www.RT-DESERTRACING.COM
wondering if they even see any advantage aside from availability for heads. same carb still the bottleneck for getting air/fuel to the chamber. also heard rumors that they would have to run restrictor plates on dualport motors..is this true?

ASHCRAFT

Sticky Balls
RDC Crypto
The numbers are pretty much the same as the single port engines. The restictor plate that is used on the single port engines is also used on the dual port.

class7s

RDC Crypto
ASHCRAFT said:
The numbers are pretty much the same as the single port engines. The restictor plate that is used on the single port engines is also used on the dual port.

Did you have to rejet the carb so you will not lean out the mixture?

ScottWisdom

RDC Crypto
ASHCRAFT said:

What's the definition of "pretty much the same"? Even small differences make a HUGE difference in the highly competitive 1/2 1600 class. One or two more HP, or maybe a little more torque, or maybe just a slight change in the power band is a competitive advantage.

By the way, I just got off the phone with SCORE Tech and they said Adam Ashcraft's motor is not yet approved to run Class 1/2 1600 at Laughlin. SCORE has not finalized the specs for the dual port motors. They will use Brazilian 040 heads, but have not decided if they will use the 34 PICT manifold or the 30 PICT manifold.

They plan to make the rule change announcement after the Baja 1000 and it will be effective for Laughlin 2006.

Now for my rant. A rule of this nature should not go into effect for at least 6 months (preferably 12 months) after the official announcement with the detailed specs. This will allow teams to prepare for the change and test different motor setups. New single port heads are still available (although they are expensive) so there is no need to rush a rule change.

Scrapiron

RDC Crypto
why do the major engine builders get the info from savage before the rest of us ??(KENNY MAJORS / FAT PERFORMANCE ) I understand they do R&D but they do not share the info with others and knowing what parts are going to be used gives them the advantage !

class7s

RDC Crypto
Scrapiron said:
why do the major engine builders get the info from savage before the rest of us ??(KENNY MAJORS / FAT PERFORMANCE ) I understand they do R&D but they do not share the info with others and knowing what parts are going to be used gives them the advantage !

I guess thats the advantage of being around a long time and being part of the inner circle

powerbox_builder

RDC Crypto
How could you use a 30pict manifold?(the euro dualport version is very rare) I heard it was going to be a 34pict manifold with that funny little reducer plate under the restrictor plate. No matter what they do it can't make that big of a difference in max HP or torque. Pull a quarter out of your pocket and take a good look at it. That thing is 24.1mm. A 2 seat car has a 24mm restrictor plate. It doesn't matter if you have a single port, dual port, or triple port, only so much air can go past that quarter. Intake air Velocity is really the thing that's changing, that moves your torque around. I'd guess they are going to have a hard time showing much of an advantage at all.

FullsizeFun

RDC Crypto
ScottWisdom said:
Now for my rant. A rule of this nature should not go into effect for at least 6 months (preferably 12 months) after the official announcement with the detailed specs. This will allow teams to prepare for the change and test different motor setups. New single port heads are still available (although they are expensive) so there is no need to rush a rule change.

To my understanding, dual port will be legal, but that does not mean single port is now illegal. So there is no "rush" to get a dp motor put together. Give the builders some time to figure out the cam etc. before just jumping to a dp motor cuz its legal now.

will 5-1600 have to run the restrictor plate?

Super

RDC Crypto
powerbox_builder said:
How could you use a 30pict manifold?(the euro dualport version is very rare) I heard it was going to be a 34pict manifold with that funny little reducer plate under the restrictor plate. No matter what they do it can't make that big of a difference in max HP or torque. Pull a quarter out of your pocket and take a good look at it. That thing is 24.1mm. A 2 seat car has a 24mm restrictor plate. It doesn't matter if you have a single port, dual port, or triple port, only so much air can go past that quarter. Intake air Velocity is really the thing that's changing, that moves your torque around. I'd guess they are going to have a hard time showing much of an advantage at all.
It will make a HUGE difference. Remember, when you are talking 500 hp, 1 or 2 doesn't make a difference. When you are talking 50 hp, even a half hp gain is huge. Its a stupid rule change, but it is beyond me, and I don't think after this long that the powers that be are going to change their ways...

ntsqd

RDC Crypto
Volkspower Racing said:
Its a well known fact that single port motors make more torque than dual port motors.
I've been messing with VW's since '86 and I've never heard that.

MNotary

RDC Crypto
It's all dual port once in the head.

I don't want to see single port heads go away. I own to many.

What to do with single port 28cc vw heads?

MarkAcunaOffRoad

RDC Crypto
Website
www.markacunaoffroad.com
I just bought a 2-1600 with a single port engine. Would like to get it turned into dp. This might be a dumb question, but is the rule: dual port into dual carbs or dual port into single carb? Is there a restrictor plate required for 2-1600? Any and all information on this subject would be greatly appreciated!!