Dual rate spring on shorter coil overs

slvrbullet

I wanted to get everyone's opinion on running dual rate springs on a 8" coil over. back in the day I was always told a 8" coil over would not be able to utilize a dual rate setup because it was to short. However I'm wondering the validity of that since I'm starting to see smaller buggies and utv's running dual rate setups on shorter coil overs.

Is this just a marketing gimmick and a single rate spring is still the better option?

619offroad

So the problem is with an 8" c/o on a truck that with a heavy spring rate that a- arm trucks requires you tun into coil binding with a dual rate. This is because of how many coils are on the springs and how thick they are. The reason for the utv's and sand cars can get away with it, is because they don't have the weight over the front end. In turn they can run light spring rates up front. What may be the same amount of coils but the coils aren't as thick. So it allows the room for a spring divider as well as keeping the springs from coil binding. In my experience over the years with working on bolt- on kits I have always ran a single rate on a 8" c/o and used a bypass to help control the dampening. This is just my opinion and what has worked with me. If you measure the coil thickness and multiply that by how many there are, you will get the compressed height of the spring. Then you can measure the compressed height of the shock, with the spring retainers. Compare those 2 measurements and see if it is possible for you to run the spring rates you need with a divider. Hope this helps answer your question

michael.gonzalez

I'd say try dual-rate first. If coil bind is unavoidable, then try single-rate. But there is no reason to immediately say that dual-rate won't work with your setup.

osidepunker

@619offroad is correct. It has to do with weight. If you are light enough it will work. On my truck I cant make it work, I've already done the math. My front end is roughly 4000 lbs and I have just under a 2:1 motion ratio. I am almost binding with an 800# coil on 8" coilover; which is as big as they come.

If you are significantly lighter it may work. But I suspect that you would have to be closer to half my weight.

But also, I am getting a single coil with bypass to run very well. I had to do some work on valving, but I can smash pretty damn hard for how heavy my truck is and its still very comfortable over the little stuff

slvrbullet

Thanks guys, my car is pretty light, and I run dual rates in the front. I thought I heard and I can be completely wrong on this, that a shorter shock even with thinner springs really cant utilize dual rate because of the short stroke, to me that sounds wrong but I've been wrong before.