On Topic Dual sport tire

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
I have a plated xr650r and have been running Dunlop 606 and 707 DOT knobbies. They are great dirt tires but I tend to ride more street these days back and forth to work. I'm looking for a recommendation on a 60/40 or 50/50 dirt / street tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M_Solms

Reaction

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
A couple friends have said to look at that trials tire. Hmm reviews look good too. Might have to do it.

Fourstroker

Reaction
I have seen a few KTM guys running that Pirelli. Surprised how well they say it works in the dirt

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
I'm not looking for cheap just looking for something alittle more street able then the Dunlop.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Freeway speeds will chunk the Perelli's. I have burnt through a few tires on the KLR commuting. Always went back to the 606's.

JDDurfey

Reaction
I would suggest you talk to the ADV crowd. I don't know what tires they run on those big adventure bikes, but they have to have a decent road tire available.

When I had a street legal XR that I rode to work I used the 606. But I was rarely on the freeway with it. Just rode around Phoenix to and from work.

M_Solms

Reaction
A couple friends have said to look at that trials tire. Hmm reviews look good too. Might have to do it.

I had it on a plated 600R and did mostly trail riding.
For trail riding and single track mountain trails the traction was amazing.

I just rode the city streets and no freeway so can't say on the life span for a lot of pavement use but loved it in the dirt.

Also if you like to slide the bike in the corners you won't like the MT-43 because it hooks up and is hard to slide without a lot of wasted effort.

Last edited:
Reaction
Trials tires not known for long life, but high traction.

Various street oriented universals available, but traction off road drops precipitously.

cusico

Reaction
Screen Shot 2016-06-30 at 7.00.36 PM.png
Michelin desert race. Front and rear.

DOT legal. 106MPH rated. 8 on 10 for traction compared to a track only moto dirt tire.

I am ready to replace the rear on a KTM 500exc with 1,240 miles on the tire. Yes, it is at the wear bars, but i've been doing the last 700 miles on adventure bike/touring style rides to the desert with lots of road transfer miles so it's not been critical.

Not the cheapest, but they last 3x longer and can take higher MPH road use. I'm sold.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
I would like to give that a try............

This was a 2 day old MT21 that went over 100MPH on the KLR.

This was a 1 day old 606. Actually, it was the day after the first pic was taken FTMFL.......

I have yet to find a knobbie that will stand up to continuous freeway use. Both of those tires had max PSI in them. Once a 606 gets about 20% taken off, you can pretty much do what ever with it. I rode that tire another 2500 miles before I changed it out..........

As for what those guys with the big KTM's and Beemers do, I have no idea, but they must ride at a much more sedate pace than Me.

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
What about front tires? What are you using? I have some 707 take offs from my mechanic friend and they are decent. But old. Maybe I'll give the dunlops another try.... I have a few weeks to decide the bikes in full tear down / replace parts mode since I crashed a while back and had to buy some new parts haha

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
606 is good except in sand, for Baja trips I would run a 739 or whatever it's called now. Colorado and commuting 606.

I always wanted to try the 908 rear, but the price kept those off the bike.

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
Why are you in Kansas ( I think ) now?

slim01

Reaction
View attachment 170850 Michelin desert race. Front and rear.

DOT legal. 106MPH rated. 8 on 10 for traction compared to a track only moto dirt tire.
Ive just bought a set of these for my WR. Took it out for a quick ride (with moouse installed front and back) and felt ok. Definately not as gripy as the Perelli Scorpions Ive run in the past but they seem to have a predictable slide/drift.

Went to these for a 12hr desert race coming up next week and wanted something that would last. I have run a 606 in the past but I really couldnt get used to it. Would definately last but just to unpredictable for me.

Will let you know how they go next week

kenaroo

Reaction
so I've switch to adv riding.. from racing to desert riding to dual sport dirt bikes to 1200cc yamaha super tenere adv riding.

I burned through a lot of tires and all I can say is my favorite that gets great traction everywhere and last a long time are the Mitas E07.. if you want more knobby type go with E-09 but the E-07 do surprisingly well in all dirt.

drtrider145

Reaction
moto X mountain hybrid for the XR650 Great tire holds up well