Duct tape

btshannon

Reaction
I had a reply to my post over on the test board that got me thinking. Tim H. identified himself as a member of the American Duct Tape Council, and I started wondering...

We've all used duct tape on the job, at home, and of course, out at the races. We all know that this adhesive's properties are legendary. But, how have you used the stuff in new and innovative ways? More importantly, did this new, unorthodox, use actually work. For example, my brother once attempted to use some tape as sandpaper by turning the sticky side over and dipping it into the desert sand. The results weren't very impressive, but, this brand of creativity is what makes our sport so much fun.

Gotta go home now. All the cars are fixed, and I've got 12 silver cans waiting for me at home.

My own taste for the hops is very powerful, and I had no intention of spending a beerless weekend...

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
Yesterday I had to use duct tape to fix the "blowout" in the crotch of my shorts. So you could say it works well as a temporary patch on clothes.
Also makes good bandaids....

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
"The Piece"......Says everything you can about Duct Tape!!

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society
U.J.T.S. Manwhore

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Using it on the crotch is great..sometimes i go for the zip ties. I carry duct tape in my truck because ford is cheap with the cupholders and ductpae works nice.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"It's not an oil leak, it's sweat from all the horsepower"

punkassslacker

Reaction
You all should remember the saying "If you can't duct it, .... it" (I think you can fill in the blank) That stuff fixing everything, even the kitchen sink, if you need it to.

Greg

Reaction
I broke a primary leaf picking-up the Ridgecrest course last year. I broke a couple course marking stakes and used my reservoir hose clamps to make a splint. The hose calmps would slip so i used nearly a whole roll of duct tape to hold it all together. It not only got me home but i drove on it for a week or so 'til i got around to fixing it. I swear by the stuff.

Greg

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
Here is a good one for you. Myself and the Locos Mocos crew were prerunning at the last long Baja 1000 when it finished in La Paz. We did over 700 miles of the course that trip. My truck had new shock mounts on the back which I didn't get a chance to test before the trip and later found out that the shocks were bottoming out and broke a mount on each side. The first time I had it welded in the Bay of LA. The second time we were in the middle of nowwhere and had to improvise. So I took a few empty beer cans, crushed them and hose clamped them to the stock bump stop. Then to finish it off I took blue duct tape and wrapped it around the entire thing. I had to extend the bump stop so the shock wouldn't bottom out first and break the tabs off. This lasted the rest of the trip which was at least 300 - 400 off road miles, plus a few weeks at home. No one thought it would work, but it worked great.
pic is attached.

curtis

Attachments

• 24-29356-bumpstop.jpg
    24-29356-bumpstop.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 440

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Mine is kinda like the above....I was in Ocotillo Wells jumping last Halloween and all of a sudden I jumped and the tire stayed stuffed into the fender well...broken tortion bar socket. SO it was like 2AM and I wanted to get home before everyone else did the next day...having no spare socket I decieded to see what was around....Rocks!! So I busted out the Black duct tape and made my own custom extended bump stops to lift the arm up enough to get the wheel off of the fender well so I could drive. I made it all the way home at like 30MPH since I was riding on bumpstop the whole way. Those stupid cattle guards broke the rocks when I went over them and I had to stop and find new rocks 3 times..

Here are pictures:

Notice the nice bent up angle on the rear bumpstop also...thats custom :)

Go Big Or Go Home
U.J.T.S. Manwhore

Tom

Reaction
Take a toilet paper roll, poke a hole half way up, insert a broken pen through the hole and wrap the whole thing in duct tape, except the top. El bongo!

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Hey Fish, use wood instead of rocks next time. I had to do the same thing to a buddys truck. Got some leftover firewood from a camp on the way out.

Now for the best fix. After blowing 3 teeth of the pinion on the old toy, called My roomate to bring out the spare pumpkin. He showed up with everything including not 1 but 2 tubes of rock hard silicone!!
Sooo, to seal up the patient I cleaned off the gasket surface with carb cleaner and made two laps around with the finest electrical tape. Useing a bic pin to make the holes and walla, insta-gasket!
Due to My lazyness and the fact that it didn't leak I ran this way for about a year!

My favorite duct tape is polykin 236. I also have a catalog that sells nuclear grade duct tape. I'm tampted to buy a roll to see what it's like.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by partybarge_pilot on 08/22/02 12:28 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Here is 2 more for ya guys:

Duct tape rapped dryer hose makes a workable intake:

Also It makes a great battery holder!

Go Big Or Go Home
U.J.T.S. Manwhore

Josh_Westwood

Reaction
When my dad was building his house in Mexico, I would go to the El Cajon Home Depot and buy sixty 94lb bags of cement. I would put them on my buggie trailer and drive it out to Jacumba where we would transfer the cement across the border, so we wouldn't have to pay any taxes or bribes at the Tecate border. One of my trips I had to swerve around a suddenly stopping vehicle causing the cement bags to tear through the shrink wrap that held the stack together. So I asked my brother if he thought any had fallen off the trailer onto the freeway he said no but some would soon if we didn't stop. So I pulled over and we started to restack the cement bags. The only thing I had to hold the stack together was duct tape. So I start wrapping the entire stack with the roll of Duct tape I had so that I would not have to worry about losing any of the cement bags off my trailer. Then my brother looks up and sees a Highway Patrol car pulling up behind us and tells me that someone is here to talk to me. So I turn around and see this Highway Patrol officer and thought I was screwed for sure. The officer got on the loud speaker and asked If what I was doing is one of the thousand ways duct tape can be used and started laughing and then drove off laughing. I guess duct tape saved me two ways that day.

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
Was kinda in a hurry, got in the truck put roll of tape on carpet of trans hump. It sat a few days in the summer heat, adheared to carpet...instant can ( back when I drank rather profusely ) holder and ya have a roll for emergencys

<font color=yellow>United Jump Truck Society<font color=yellow>
U.J.T.S. President.

Mary Kay

PRINCESS
Reaction
its a joke among my friends that I use Duct tape to hold up the "GIRLS" keeping them nice and perky;)

The trick is One piece under and one piece going up each side:rolleyes:

Laurie

Reaction
You might like this one. My sister in law was a costume design major and was helping
a former Miss America dress for a pagent. Guess what she used the duct tape for?

You guess it holding up her boobs.

MALIBLOC

Reaction
ABSOLUTELY AMAZING, I alway carry toilet paper in my truck , looks like I need to add something else, great topic!!

la2baja

Familia
Reaction
I've made a CV boot out of it. It actually went over 100 miles in baja. Made a cone shape (like a CV boot) then taped more duct tape on the inside (sticky side to sticky side) When it was perfected (???) I sliced it down one side and wove? weaved? wire ties through it.

I knew the boot was toast an hour before the car got to me. I don't suggest trying to do this while the car is sitting in the pit.

5racer

Reaction
friend of mine caught a kid tagging his wall as he was comeing home late at nite so he pulled over in his truck tackeld the kid .so hes sitting on him and cant figure out how to contain him while he calls the law .so he remembers he has duct tape in bed of truck just happens to be a telephone pole right there so wala he uses a whole roll of tape on this kidd. and tapes his butt to the pole
\.the cops show up and about died laughing they even waited for the news paper guys to take pics .the kidd was raw from trying to get away from pole .