Ear buds and Helmet Speakers?

desertspeed

Reaction
For those of you that use ear buds, did you remove your helmet speakers or just leave them in?

I had been having issues with distortion and ringing ears after races, so I had some custom ear buds made. Huge improvement in sound quality but after a short time wearing them they start getting painful as the helmet speakers are pressing on them.

I am debating just removing the speakers, but concerned about losing all communications if something happens to the ear buds, plus no one else could borrow my helmet if ever needed.

I checked to see if I could move the speakers further away from my ears, but that's not possible.

Any suggestions or advice would be welcome- thanks!

trailready

ADVERTISER
Reaction
Impact showed me the way with ear muffs 6 years ago. It's the only way!! And this is mid engine with the motor right behind me.

richard cretsinger

Reaction
the molded ear buds are the only way to go, im removing the speakers out of my helmet, and if someone needs to borrow a helmet, well then... thats not gonna work. for the first time i got done racing and my ears were normal and i could hear and talk to people with out saying HUH!!

Rcamp99

Reaction
Impact showed me the way with ear muffs 6 years ago. It's the only way!! And this is mid engine with the motor right behind me.
The ear cups make a world of difference. Best thing ever if you don’t wanna fight ear buds 🤞🏻

BRINGTHERUCKUS

Nimrod de PMC
Reaction
Ear cups are everything. Had them for 4 years now with no regrets.

I had ear buds on my old helmet, hated taping them, never got the distortion from the speakers though. They worked ok.

usmcgunrock

Reaction
So the ear cups work just as good as the ear buds? I have a problem with hearing so I have to use the ear plug style ear buds. One so I can make out the audio and second so it dampens the sound outside.

Tipracer

Reaction
Ear cups 100%… night and day and no more taping the earbuds in(and I had my earbuds custom molded). If you still want earbuds you can have both but it’s not really needed and might press too hard on your ear

Josh 8

Reaction
For those of you that use ear buds, did you remove your helmet speakers or just leave them in?

I had been having issues with distortion and ringing ears after races, so I had some custom ear buds made. Huge improvement in sound quality but after a short time wearing them they start getting painful as the helmet speakers are pressing on them.

I am debating just removing the speakers, but concerned about losing all communications if something happens to the ear buds, plus no one else could borrow my helmet if ever needed.

I checked to see if I could move the speakers further away from my ears, but that's not possible.

Any suggestions or advice would be welcome- thanks!
I bought 3 new helmets, a hybrid hnr, visor shields, gloves, ear buds for the first time, driving suite and some other odds and ends. Over 3k at pci a few weeks ago. I asked the counter guy (won’t say his name) if I can remove the helmet speakers and only run the ear buds. He looked at me like I was crazy and asked why? I said for a better fit! He was perplexed and speechless. I then asked him if the ear buds jack and helmet speakers were wired in series or parallel? He was still perplexed and then admitted he didn’t know. I walked out then figuring screw it with my mind changing directions to Popeyes down the street.

I am surprised to see this question here. I thought I was off with the question. 👍

BRINGTHERUCKUS

Nimrod de PMC
Reaction
So the ear cups work just as good as the ear buds? I have a problem with hearing so I have to use the ear plug style ear buds. One so I can make out the audio and second so it dampens the sound outside.
the ear cups are pretty good at noise canceling.
Ear cups are great unless you have a bucket head . They take up too much space . Ear buds are torture devices

As a car carrying bucket head, I only have the issue of my ears folding over, but since I wear glasses I just poke them back into place. I have the largest Impact helmet they make and it fits perfect. My HJC never fit right (claustrophobic as well) and the ear buds made it worse.

450grl

Reaction
Website
www.wellerracing.com
I wear an Impact helmet and I have speakers pre-built in it but I still run my earbuds. And I don't do the fancy pre-molded ones (tried that, what a PITA) I just wear the $100 foam ones and call it good. I prefer the earbuds over the helmet speakers night and day......however, if I ever need the backup it's nice to have the speakers in my helmet also. And I have needed them once or twice...... ear cups hurt my ears after a while and they suck when you are putting your helmet on and taking it off, which we do a lot in short-course racing.

Josh 8

Reaction
Yeah. I have watermelon head too. I had to get a pyrotek 3xl. The new hjc’s come 2xl max and I think it’s a small 2xl too.

The pyrotek seams good. I will know more next week.

fastfelix

Reaction
I use custom ear molds with duct tape for over 30 years and it works for me. Tried the ear cups and speakers in the helmet and it was very uncomfortable for me.
This is good to hear. I just bought a new impact helmet. I also bought ear buds. I’m hoping this will help as I’m hard of hearing already

swiftracing5

Reaction
Custom Molded ear buds were the best. But if you have a tough race and are constantly taking your helmet off it gets annoying, they get dirty, more chance to damage the wires.

ear cups are best all around although sound is a little less loud and the hard shell around them hurts after 10 hours. I had small sores from them.

Big Whitey

Reaction
Custom Molded ear buds were the best. But if you have a tough race and are constantly taking your helmet off it gets annoying, they get dirty, more chance to damage the wires.

ear cups are best all around although sound is a little less loud and the hard shell around them hurts after 10 hours. I had small sores from them.
Hmmm small sores around your cup, thanks for sharing

Viola1685

Reaction
We have a mid engine class 10 and she’s loud I have to run eat cups and ear buds to be able to hear. The ear cups are super comfortable though because they create like a pocket around your so the earbud isn’t being smashed into your ear. I vote for ear cups most comfortable thing you can run.

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
We have a mid engine class 10 and she’s loud I have to run eat cups and ear buds to be able to hear. The ear cups are super comfortable though because they create like a pocket around your so the earbud isn’t being smashed into your ear. I vote for ear cups most comfortable thing you can run.
Mid-engine class 10?! I need photos!! :cool: Surely, a rare sight.