Ear buds and Helmet Speakers?

Rcamp99

Reaction
Not at MORE apparently. I have yet to see one in person. Plenty of mid-engine class 1's though. Where are you seeing them?
A simple cruise of the classifieds would yield a few…. Here I’ll help

Viola1685

Reaction

Attachments

• 19D7035E-6CD3-49C5-B0AE-176974188DE4.jpeg
    19D7035E-6CD3-49C5-B0AE-176974188DE4.jpeg
    255.2 KB · Views: 66

Deviant

Reaction
For those of you that use ear buds, did you remove your helmet speakers or just leave them in?

I had been having issues with distortion and ringing ears after races, so I had some custom ear buds made. Huge improvement in sound quality but after a short time wearing them they start getting painful as the helmet speakers are pressing on them.

I am debating just removing the speakers, but concerned about losing all communications if something happens to the ear buds, plus no one else could borrow my helmet if ever needed.

I checked to see if I could move the speakers further away from my ears, but that's not possible.

Any suggestions or advice would be welcome- thanks!
Best thing I've found is regular Foam Ear Plugs. Wear them while using the Ear cups with speakers.
Its the best !

Josh 8

Reaction
A few weeks back I did the record coast to coast. I used a new pyrotek helmet that fits me correctly (3xl) and pci ear buds for the first time. They were the generic foam ear plugs with the little speaker inside the foam plug. I really liked it. I am totally satisfied. I drove the truck from down town SF to Pete’s on the road with out the plugs in and I was shocked at how loud the truck was on the highway. Engine and wind noise at 55-60. I got my ear buds at pci when I bought the helmet. I remember them being $90 bucks. I thought that was steep for want they are and it is. But I like them and they work. Also, I do have the speakers in my helmet too. The helmet fits me right so I have plent of room in it for the mic and speakers.
Lastly, I have tried the blue tooth wazoo pci intercom and it drove me nuts. I hated it. It the one that had the auto volume adjustment. I hated it. I went back to the old fashion pci gray box intercom and it worked great. I say this because the fancy intercom was always quite and I could not hear the dawg. Ear buds and the old style intercom fixed all that and drastically reduced noise fatigue.

MRusich

Reaction
I have a mid-engine class 10 as well and it can get pretty loud. Ive always used an Impact Helmet with ear cups and the foam earbuds and i love the combo. My ears are not ringing when i get out of the car and do not have any discomfort after wearing them for 5+ hours. My opinion thats the only way to go....

desertspeed

Reaction
Thanks for all the replies in this thread, sounds like this is a pretty common issue. We are going to try to remove the speakers for VtoR and see how that goes. If we are still having issues we may try the ear cups, but hoping we don't need to.

dhjeepgeek

Reaction
I like my ear buds, They work great compared to just the helmet speakers. I can hear after the race. Well as good as I did before the race anyway. And it get all the peach fuzz off my ears when I rip the duct tape off. The wires are kind of delicate. I haven't broken any, but my friend has gone through a few sets because of it. I have repaired a set for him, just a bitch to solder those tiny wires back on.
Definitely worth wear some. Just testing without them always reminds me why we use them. I just run an Egotec, not w V8. They must really have bad hearing after running with out them.

scottm

Reaction
Website
www.cemaz.com
I have been looking forward to trying the ear cups on my next helmet. But I already went down from an XL helmet to a L because the looser one buffeted in the wind so bad I couldn't see over 90mph. Are cups more painful in a tight helmet?

BRINGTHERUCKUS

Nimrod de PMC
Reaction
I have been looking forward to trying the ear cups on my next helmet. But I already went down from an XL helmet to a L because the looser one buffeted in the wind so bad I couldn't see over 90mph. Are cups more painful in a tight helmet?
You can get different cheek pads (and maybe some others) to get the larger bucket to stay in place better, at least with the Impact helmet.