Ear buds

kdneo

Reaction
It's been a few years since this was discussed by Dan McMillin. I'm over using the speakers in the helmet. What is everyone using and where are you getting ear buds? Preferably custom fit ones that are comfortable for long periods of time and will stay in place.

Leads and prices would be appreciated!

Mooch2Peril

Reaction
Get the molds done and have customs made. I have a radio shop close to me in houston so basically had them do the mold, ordered the ear buds through them they shipped it off and called me when ready. Love them, and the sick pleasure I had taking wire cutters to those helmet speakers that would make the tops of my ears bleed.

Paid 102 dollars for the molds/buds. Also the company that made the buds has the molds so now I just order again and they make them from my previous set. Took about 2 weeks.

AZ7000'

Reaction
PCI

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

51rcr

Reaction
Anybody use the ear cups from PCI?
yep work really good. makes everything quiet like ear plugs in. Ya can hear good also. I need to see if I can move them up some as they hurt the tops of our ears after hours n hours. I believe that's what was mentioned above.

Zambo

Reaction
Yeah my flight helmet had ear cups in it an believe those jets were loud! You had to spend a few flights getting those cups adjusted right though or they would make hot spots that killed your head after a few hours.

TMorford

Reaction
Anybody use the ear cups from PCI?

Beat me to it. I just used them for the first time at the 1000 in a high HP truck and they were way better than my old set up of SkullCandy earbuds and tape...

Old Dude

Reaction
There is a racer in Valencia who makes them. Mine are a few years old and still work great. He makes a lot for the police motorcycles. If interested let me know and will dig out his info.

scary fast hummer

Reaction
I made my own custom ear buds. I used a good set of foam covered buds (from PCI or wherever) and peeled the foam off. Ordered a "mix your own" ear plug kit off Amazon (for shooting, mostly). Put a little bit of toilet paper in the end of the little speaker bit on the ear buds. Mix the orange and white ear plug putty per the directions, put the ear buds in a dollop of ear plug goo and stick it in your ears until it hardens. Make sure you clench your jaw/move it slightly/etc., to the get best fit. Once they are hard, pull them out of your ears, carefully slice off the very tip of the custom ear plug with wired bud in it, remove the TP from the ear bud and now you have custom molded ear buds. Now you will be able to hear all the static and feedback in your intercom/radio perfectly! Happy listening!!

Sato Bros. Racing

Reaction
Made my own with the Radians DIY kit....molded them then cut the foam off of the universal PCI ones that I had, then drilled a hole through the molded ones and shoved the speaker through.

Attachments

• RADIANS.jpg
    RADIANS.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 189

Mooch2Peril

Reaction
yep work really good. makes everything quiet like ear plugs in. Ya can hear good also. I need to see if I can move them up some as they hurt the tops of our ears after hours n hours. I believe that's what was mentioned above.

That’s the problem I was having with the war cups. That and they have a hard edge on them that makes putting the helmet on hurt like hell. I cut those cups out and use ear buds only now. I also have some big ass ears too.

swiftracing5

Reaction
I ponied up and did the custom PCI kit, gotta take care of those ears. There is really nothing worse than ear pain in a 12 hour race, then 2 weeks of scabs and soreness

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Robin Hood

Reaction
Personally I think my molded plugs worked better then the cups. With the HNR, skirt, wires, ect. I'll take the cups over the earbuds just to avoid the wires. Not to mention I never forget the cups!

MasTacos

Reaction