Early 90s Class 8 trucks?

bobsson

Reaction
Hi everyone,

I'm working on making sure my truck fits in the rules of the BITD Vintage Open Class and after talking to Norman, he said find a Class 8 rule book from any year before 93 and build it as close to that as possible. I tried searching Google but nothing turned up. Closest I could find to it was articles detailing when the TT class was allowed and how it changed off road racing. I saw the NORRA rules listing for that era and it mentions linked trucks. I believe at the time trucks were running a coil over per corner but I can't find anything definitive.

So if anyone knows where I can find a rule book and has pictures of trucks from the period I'd really appreciate it. Right now I'm running a bypass and coil over up front and I'd rather just pull the bypass for Vintage races instead of having to create an all new bracket for a coil bucket.

Thanks

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
89 B1k RG.jpg

1993_802_Vessels.jpg

Butch.jpg

1991_Baja 250_Shoppe_804_21x.jpg

Sorry, unknown photo credits except for the last one (Centerline photo). Anyways, here are a few trucks from the era you are talking about that also were winners. All trucks ran leaf spring (Or 1/4 ellipticals) except for the Nelson & Nelson Chevy, he ran a coil in the rear (not coil over shock) due to a loophole in the rules about using a Chevy chassis from the late 60's early 70's which used coil spring in the rear.

You could take off the by-pass shock in the front and run a smooth bodied shock in it's place (2.5 or 3.0) and it would work fine. Good luck, we need for Vintage racers out at the MINT 400 and the NORRA Mexican 1000.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
I have some rule books from back then, what years are you interested in?

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Score Rule Book from 1991-1992

Class 8 Open Production - Full size Utility Vehicles

Manufacturers body, engine and chassis combination must be retained. This class is an open production class and all components are to be considered open unless restricted herein.

(excerpts)

Suspension Components
Spindles may be reinforced or replaced but must retain the original stock concept. Front and rear suspension must be of the same basic design and concept as originally produced and installed on the chassis to which it is mounted. This will be determined by manufacturer of chassis and the year that the chassis was manufactured. Suspension parts may be strengthened, reinforced or replaced. Suspension must retain the original design and concept (A-arm, MacPherson Strut, I-beam, etc...) and all primary spring systems must retain the original concept (Leaf, Torsion Bar, Coil, etc...) that was delivered on the year chassis that is in use. Items with no restrictions-
A- Pivot points
B-Spring rates
C- Ball joints
D- Mountings
E- Travel limits
F- Track width but tired must retract inside of fender openings.

Primary coil springs are limited to one coil per wheel and must be mounted according to the stock concept.

Shock absorbers and bump stops
Number of shock absorbers and mounting methods are optional. Mounting points may be redesigned, strengthened, and modified.
Remote mounted shocks are allowed.
Shocks may not protrude through hood.

Secondary suspension
Secondary suspension allowed. With secondary suspension disconnected the primary system must be capable of maintaining ride height =/- 1.5"

Engine and engine displacement
Engine must be of the same manufacturer basic design and type and have the same number of cylinders as the one installed by the manufacturer. Displacement open. Block must be of the same material as that of the block originally installed in the vehicle. Engine must be readily available to the general public in the U.S.A.

Any make of carb may be used, restricted to 1 4 barrel. Stock factor fuel injection may be used.

Engine must be located in the stock location =/- 1"as delivered by the manufacturer. This will be measured from the centerline of the front spindle to the back of the block.

Transmission open.

Differential open but must remain stock concept.

Weight
Vehicle must weigh a minimum of 4,200 pounds dry.

Fenders may be opened and enlarged at discretion of SCORE/HDRA.
Tires must retract inside fenders.
Cab and doors steel, all other body parts may have substitute material.

Original wheelbase =/- 2".
Frames may be strengthened by adding material but must retain stock configuration, size, and shape. No removal of material allowed. Frame must remain stock length but may be notched 8" at the front of frame for ground clearance as long as top of frame is not modified.

Body
Body must maintain original shape, size, configuration, and appearance, Additional mounts or parts for body strengthening may be added. Mounting location in relation to frame must remain stock. The measurement from the center line of the front spindle to the to the back of the B pillar must remain stock =/- 1".

**I left out the general competition rules and some of the redundant body part stuff.

bobsson

Reaction
Score Rule Book from 1991-1992

Class 8 Open Production - Full size Utility Vehicles

Manufacturers body, engine and chassis combination must be retained. This class is an open production class and all components are to be considered open unless restricted herein.

(excerpts)

Suspension Components
Spindles may be reinforced or replaced but must retain the original stock concept. Front and rear suspension must be of the same basic design and concept as originally produced and installed on the chassis to which it is mounted. This will be determined by manufacturer of chassis and the year that the chassis was manufactured. Suspension parts may be strengthened, reinforced or replaced. Suspension must retain the original design and concept (A-arm, MacPherson Strut, I-beam, etc...) and all primary spring systems must retain the original concept (Leaf, Torsion Bar, Coil, etc...) that was delivered on the year chassis that is in use. Items with no restrictions-
A- Pivot points
B-Spring rates
C- Ball joints
D- Mountings
E- Travel limits
F- Track width but tired must retract inside of fender openings.

Primary coil springs are limited to one coil per wheel and must be mounted according to the stock concept.

Shock absorbers and bump stops
Number of shock absorbers and mounting methods are optional. Mounting points may be redesigned, strengthened, and modified.
Remote mounted shocks are allowed.
Shocks may not protrude through hood.

Secondary suspension
Secondary suspension allowed. With secondary suspension disconnected the primary system must be capable of maintaining ride height =/- 1.5"

Engine and engine displacement
Engine must be of the same manufacturer basic design and type and have the same number of cylinders as the one installed by the manufacturer. Displacement open. Block must be of the same material as that of the block originally installed in the vehicle. Engine must be readily available to the general public in the U.S.A.

Any make of carb may be used, restricted to 1 4 barrel. Stock factor fuel injection may be used.

Engine must be located in the stock location =/- 1"as delivered by the manufacturer. This will be measured from the centerline of the front spindle to the back of the block.

Transmission open.

Differential open but must remain stock concept.

Weight
Vehicle must weigh a minimum of 4,200 pounds dry.

Fenders may be opened and enlarged at discretion of SCORE/HDRA.
Tires must retract inside fenders.
Cab and doors steel, all other body parts may have substitute material.

Original wheelbase =/- 2".
Frames may be strengthened by adding material but must retain stock configuration, size, and shape. No removal of material allowed. Frame must remain stock length but may be notched 8" at the front of frame for ground clearance as long as top of frame is not modified.

Body
Body must maintain original shape, size, configuration, and appearance, Additional mounts or parts for body strengthening may be added. Mounting location in relation to frame must remain stock. The measurement from the center line of the front spindle to the to the back of the B pillar must remain stock =/- 1".

**I left out the general competition rules and some of the redundant body part stuff.
Thank you for the information. I now see why he was saying I had to go with a coil bucket and bypass. I'll have to see what I can do, but it looks like Id have to create some sort of way to switch between coil over and coil bucket depending on which series I'm racing the truck in.

bobsson

Reaction
No, coil over shocks were considered to be stock concept and were allowed.
That's what I thought, but it wasn't the impression I got when I talked to him over the phone. The Ford Rough Riders trucks had both a coil over and either a smooth body or a bypass on the front end. Ivan Stewart's TT had a coil over on each corner. I didn't think running a single coilover on each side of the front by its self would be some sort of advantage. Everything I'm seeing shows trucks at the time had even more built suspensions than that with multiple shocks. I'm also keeping it leaf sprung to remain legal for some other series, so it's not like I'm taking some wazoo 1450 truck and trying to make it into a smaller class.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Shocks were smaller back then, trucks were not. a 2.5" shock was almost unheard of. So they ran more than 2 to help with heat. As far as coilovers went, I know Savage did not consider a coilover on the front of a Ford in 7s legal in 2000, but had been run on several 8s prior to that as legal for their open class. I think the key became whether they used 1 or multiple. Superhunky ran into this problem with the multiple coilovers on the Class 3 Bronco, but it was never an issue with the Vessels Chevy cantilever 8. I doubt NORRA or anyone else racing vintage now would complain about a coilover shock (like a 2.5 with another 2.5 smooth body) on the front of a Ford. Just don't get carried away with a 3.0 coilover and a 4.4 bypass and try to pass it off as vintage.

Mark Newhan

Reaction
The early Walker shocks and Kusters were 3" body.

bobsson

Reaction
Shocks were smaller back then, trucks were not. a 2.5" shock was almost unheard of. So they ran more than 2 to help with heat. As far as coilovers went, I know Savage did not consider a coilover on the front of a Ford in 7s legal in 2000, but had been run on several 8s prior to that as legal for their open class. I think the key became whether they used 1 or multiple. Superhunky ran into this problem with the multiple coilovers on the Class 3 Bronco, but it was never an issue with the Vessels Chevy cantilever 8. I doubt NORRA or anyone else racing vintage now would complain about a coilover shock (like a 2.5 with another 2.5 smooth body) on the front of a Ford. Just don't get carried away with a 3.0 coilover and a 4.4 bypass and try to pass it off as vintage.
My current set up is 2.5" for the shocks. I wasn't planning on going to 3s or bigger. I was mainly looking for information about those trucks. While I think I'd be fine, I don't know the organizers vision for the series and I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

retroblazer

Reaction
Quarter elliptic springs suck. Yes, they work, but let's face it, in their heyday, National Spring was building the vast majority of the springs. They had heat treating capabilities on site. They don't exist anymore, and the people that had the knowledge are long gone. They are expensive to build, and require constant repair and replacement.
Coil-overs have been around forever. Monroe Load-levelers were standard fare in the 60's. There is no need to re-live the Savage era interpretations of the rules on springs. I still have to live with this stupid spring crap in Class 3. Here's one option for stock concept spring....... Steel

Coil-overs for everyone !!!!!! Free the Coil-over !!!!

Peter Alesi Jr.

Reaction
The class 8 I drove had coil overs, it was a ford. It was Scott Mc Millans class 8. Truck was built I think in 89

TRichards

Reaction
On a Chevy? Not on a Ford in 91-92.
I think what he is saying is the the McMillin truck did have quarter eliptic springs for a couple years in the beginning then it was upgraded to coil overs when the rules were changed. Similar to the Roseanne truck when Vessels had it. It was quarter eliptic in the beginning also.

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
The McMillin truck was sold to Rocky Anderson and then I bought it from Rocky. When I sold it the quarter elliptics were still on it. The truck had 3" Kusters, coilover up front and smooth bodys in the rear. It had 8 three inch Kusters on it plus air bumps if I recall correctly. And this was in 1998-99 timeframe.

Mark Newhan

Reaction
In the early '90's the class stipulated that even leaf spring trucks could replace them with coil over shocks, since truly all they had to do was remove the 1/4 elliptic spring pack and put coil springs on one of the two 3" shocks. Most of the Kusters had threaded bodies anyway

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Had to be after 1995. I have the rule books to then and the 94-95 book still requires the original springing concept. As Chris stated, his was still quarter elliptics when he sold in in 98-99. I don't have the rule books from 1996 to 2005 (I may somewhere, but haven't found them yet!) and I have some back into the 1980s. But 1991-92 and 94-95 I took the rules from. Looks like 1993 was just a carry over from 91-92.

Hodgini

Reaction
Hi Guys,

Would like your opinions on a topic about their "engine displacement is open" comment.

Long story short, contemplating building a Vintage Class 8.

Current rules posted on Score's website suggest "any dsiplacement may be used, as long as the original block casting remains the same".

Class 8 – SCORE Race Info

The original block castings are known to have issues for my preferred Vintage year.

Do you guys think they would allow a "similar" V8 (small block Chevy V8, 90 degree)???

I've sent an email to Score for "from the horse's mouth" feedback but I'd also like your opinions, based on experiences in the past.

Thanks!