Early 90s Class 8 trucks?

Bro_Gill

Reaction
I don't think you will have an issue with using a different block from a different era as long as it is still a cast iron block and you maintain the proper carb/heads/intake rules. I don't think you will find acceptance with say, an LS7 in a 1968 pickup in a vintage class.

Josh 8

Reaction
From my point of view. If you used a push rod, iron block engine of any era by the same make as the frame and body, you would be perfectly fine.

Where the line gets fuzzy is if you start using a Ls 7 in a older chassis. It's really not an advantage that cause a win. It's more about drawing a line to preserve classes by not allowing them to be bastardized further. In my opinion the one rule regarding engines can not be bent is that engine manufactures brand must be the same as the chassis. But again. It's not about a winning advantage. Any and all engines can win. And if you loose it usually has nothing to do with the brand of engine in the truck.

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
Aftermarket iron blocks were common in Class 8 trucks of that era. The Fords were typically 430 ci with Yates Cleveland style winston cup heads and made around 700hp with dry sump and a carb. Really no different than the first trophy trucks in the engine department.

The newer aftermarket blocks have the water jackets relocated to support bigger bores so now it's not uncommon to see 470 inch small blocks. BTW, an LS7 is not going to make the amount of torque that a small block pushrod race engine can make.

La Tijereta

Reaction
Bill Church's "Nelson-Nelson" truck at the 91' Score Parker 400

CenterlineImages.1991.Parker. 117.Church.Nelson.21x.jpg

@Centerline Images

retroblazer

Reaction
What happened to Dale White's Class 8? I thought he started racing in cl8 in 1993 in the White Lightning Chevy.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Bro_Gill

Reaction
I believe it was sold to Steve Reyling and then to Bob Gray of Fox Shox and his kids were racing it, sometimes as a Trick Truck in BITD, but that was a while ago. I think that is the lineage.

LantanaTX

Reaction
The SCORE Vintage rules were posted today on their website. So now you have SCORE, NORRA and BITD rules to choose from. If you are legal for NORRA or BITD, you will be legal for SCORE.

NORRA is able to have more classes because of the number of entries so their trucks classes are broken down as '67-'75, 76-'82, '83-'88 and '89-20 years old plus a few more classes. BITD and SCORE have just two classes for all vintage vehicles and are '82 and older and "83-'92. If you build to NORRA Challenger Truck rules you can race any vintage race. Bypass shocks get you bumped into some really fast stuff at NORRA. While front coilovers are allowed in all three organization for '83 up, BITD and SCORE require you to ditch the coilover if you run bypass shocks as bypass shocks must be the only shock at each tire. The idea behind the bypass shocks in BITD and SCORE is really meant for early short wheelbase Bronco's.

One thing I can tell you all organizations seem to agree on is that just because so and so had it doesn't make it legal. Rules are not based on what a few people had but rather what most people had. Each organization has a waiver for the actual vehicle as raced in the era that is outside the rules.

toddz

Reaction
I believe it was sold to Steve Reyling and then to Bob Gray of Fox Shox and his kids were racing it, sometimes as a Trick Truck in BITD, but that was a while ago. I think that is the lineage.

Definitely sold to Reyling and then I don't know what happened to it.

Todd Z.

toddz

Reaction
Bill Church's "Nelson-Nelson" truck at the 91' Score Parker 400

View attachment 183480
@Centerline Images

Church's blew a wheel on a rock near our viewing spot at that race and the tire blew off into the desert. My friend and I retrieved and took it home. It was one of the new 35" Bajas that no one had yet so we really couldn't sell it to anyone. My friend's mom ended up using it as a planter for some of her plants in the backyard :).

Todd Z.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Todd Z. I totally blew it. We had a John Baker Class 8 Dodge sitting in out pit for B2V and I didn't take pictures. Sorry buddy. It was out for its maiden voyage after around 3 decades of sitting. Owner refurbed/restored it but it still has the original Keith Black V8 in it! Sounded so fantastic. He had it confirmed by Baker to be one of his old trucks. No modern shocks, 33" tires, etc... As Old Class 8 were built.

toddz

Reaction
Damn! Thanks for thinking of me! Hopefully someone else gets some shots and posts them somewhere. I wonder if it was Rick Elam's old truck? I think they were supposed to race NORRA this year (they were entered in our class) but they never showed up.

Todd Z.

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
Todd Z. I totally blew it. We had a John Baker Class 8 Dodge sitting in out pit for B2V and I didn't take pictures. Sorry buddy. It was out for its maiden voyage after around 3 decades of sitting. Owner refurbed/restored it but it still has the original Keith Black V8 in it! Sounded so fantastic. He had it confirmed by Baker to be one of his old trucks. No modern shocks, 33" tires, etc... As Old Class 8 were built.

Martin, was it the yellow Dodge?

Bro_Gill

Reaction
No. White with a black hood. Xxxxxxxs member owns it. 4 shocks on the front fan style, twin tubes, as it was. 33" BFGs. Taylor Seats, etc... It is so cool.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Possibly. Front bumper may be different, but same wheels and shock set-up. And yes, still has the knock-offs and original brass mallet marked 'Indianapolis 500' on it.